Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Kristin Tries Bob Harper's "The Skinny Rules" (SUSPENDED: I WILL START NEW JOURNAL JANUARY 1)

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been trying to bust through a plateau since April. My latest effort begins today. I love Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser fame, so after reading his "The Skinny Rules" book, I thought I'd give it a try. Here are the "rules".. they are better explained in the book. Some are not as restrictive as they sound.

1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
2. don't drink your calories
3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
7. No carbs after lunch
8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
12. Make one day a week meatless.
13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
14. Eat a real breakfast.
15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
16. Banish high salt foods.
17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
18. Go to bed hungry.
19. Sleep right.
20. Plan one splurge meal a week.

8/20/12 weight: 161
8/27/12 weight: 158
9/3/12 weight: 157.5 
9/10/12 weight: 157
9/17/12 weight: 155.5
9/24/12 weight; 155
10/1/12 weight 153.5
10/8/12 weight: 154 (DH's birthday... enough said)
10/15/12 weight 151.5 (woo-hoo!)
10/22/12 weight 149.5 (bye bye 150s!)
11/12/12 weight 149.5 ... STUCK
11/19/12 weight 147.5 ... UNSTUCK big smile mini 
11/26/12 weight 147.5 (since this is after Thanksgiving... I am good with just maintaining this week)

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Replies (81-88):
KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Day 90
11/19/12

I am happy to report that I am down to 147.5 this morning! I will probably be MIA for the most part this week because of Thanksgiving prep, etc. However, I am pushing myself superhard until Thursday morning. I will take a break until Sunday, but I am going to try not to go too overboard. I will still enter my weight next Monday. Full disclosure smile 

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

My body "likes" a certain weight.  I was technically "obese" when I got pregnant w/ my last child (196 at 5'5) and due to the hormones I lost 25 lb between my first OB visit and my due date.  The day I went into labor I was 171.  Two weeks PP I was 154.

Jeremy is 16mo old, and I weigh 188.  I weighed 183 earlier this week, but thanks to AF, I gained a lot of water weight... a LOT.

I'm going to give this a shot. 

My only question - how hard was it going to straight black coffee?I like mine w/ cream and sugar, and I drink a LOT of it - not conducive to weight loss at all.

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

Thanks. My body does not like to let go of weight. His rules are helping so far.

Quoting Stefanie83:

I've been watching Biggest loser on Netflix so reading through that list, I can just hear Bob saying them! lol! 

congrats so far  :)

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it.  Some people I know who have stopped putting sugar and creamer in their coffee find that they drink less coffee because it doesn't taste as much like dessert. Really, I think drinking black coffee helps curb sweet cravings. I thought about splurging on a holiday latte the other day and decided against it because the sugar didn't sound appealing. Trust me .. that was not me last year.

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

My body "likes" a certain weight.  I was technically "obese" when I got pregnant w/ my last child (196 at 5'5) and due to the hormones I lost 25 lb between my first OB visit and my due date.  The day I went into labor I was 171.  Two weeks PP I was 154.

Jeremy is 16mo old, and I weigh 188.  I weighed 183 earlier this week, but thanks to AF, I gained a lot of water weight... a LOT.

I'm going to give this a shot. 

My only question - how hard was it going to straight black coffee?I like mine w/ cream and sugar, and I drink a LOT of it - not conducive to weight loss at all.

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

Thanks. My body does not like to let go of weight. His rules are helping so far.

Quoting Stefanie83:

I've been watching Biggest loser on Netflix so reading through that list, I can just hear Bob saying them! lol! 

congrats so far  :)

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Day 97
11/26/12

Well... after being off the wagon for a couple of days for Thanksgiving.. it feels good to be back. Honestly, my body let me know FAST that it was not going to allow me to induldge too much. My stomach actually cramped. I guess that's a good thing. I re-started my exercise routine on Sunday after two days off. That felt good too. And... I am pleased that after some indulgence... I did not gain weight.

Workout
Rest day

Breakfast
coffee
water
veggie omelette
apple

Lunch
water
grilled chicken
veggies
cantelope

Snack
Water
Veggies
hummus

Dinner
water
Fish
Veggies

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Day 98
11/27/12

Workout
P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
-I am still struggling with those one arm push ups. How Demi Moore did those in GI Jane... I have yet to discover.

Postworkout Protein Shake

Breakfast
coffee
water
bread with almond butter (not exactly Bob approved)
apple

Lunch
water
chicken
Salad

Snack
water
berries
cheese

Dinner
water
chicken in tomato/mushroom sauce
spaghetti squash

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Day 99
11/28/12

Holy crap! I am so tired today. It's a combination fo my kids not wanting to go to sleep last night and then getting up for Plyo X this morning. Sadly.. I am about leave work to go do laundry.

Workout
Plyo X

Breakfast
coffee
Water
Egg
oatmeal
pear

Snack
water
Nuts

Lunch
water
Chicken
salad

Snack
water
grapes
one string cheeze

Dinner
water
Pork
veggie
potatoes

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Day 100
11/29/12

Day 100. Guess that should be a milestone, but really it just feels like another day on my journey. I have 22 pounds to go.

Workout
P90x Back and Biceps
Yoga - 30 minutes

Breakfast
water
Salted Carmel Mocha (cheat)
ezekiel bread with almond butter
berries

Lunch
?

Snack
Orange
Ginger Snap Larabar

Dinner
?

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Ugh... I am soooo tired today. I'm actually thinking of discontinuing my journal and starting a new one January 1. I've got a lot of fitness goals for next year...but my goal for the next month is not to GAIN weight. So many obligations that include food between now and then... it will be hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)