Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Eema's Journal

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM
  • 3 Replies

Eema means "mommy" in Hebrew and I have 3 kids under the age of 5 so I definitely qualify for the title.  After each of my two oldest were born, the baby weight pretty much just melted off, thanks to nursing each of them for over a year.  My third baby is different.  She's been with me for 5 months now and I've got 30 lbs and a saggy stomach that just don't want to go away.

At first, all I wanted to do was start working on some healthy food and exercise habits, on the assumption that when my daughter weans, I will lose weight.  Then I got sucked down a biochemical rabbit hole about two weeks ago and realized that these thirty pounds are not "fat my body is hanging onto because I'm nursing," the usual explanation for stubborn pounds a nursing woman can't get off.  Rather, my personal history of poorly controlled (until the past 5 years) hypoglycemia is catching up to me, as well as a family history of gluten intolerence.  Yay, unhappy gut AND insulin resistence.  Horray!

As if matters couldn't get worse, I and my children's therapists realized that my kids had stalled on their development, again and that my daughter's balance and coordination were not getting better despite nearly a year and a half of work with her developmental therapist.  Not to mention the background worry that they will inherit diabetes (family history on husband's side is so bad it's almost funny), hypoglycemia (husband and I both have that) or gluten issues (goes back two, well three now, generations on my side).  My biochemical rabbithole led to the following changes:

No gluten, not ever.  It's messing up my ability to process carbs and may be one of the things causing inflamation in the guts and possibly heads of my children, making their speech and muscular issues worse.  No sugar (or stevia unless it's actually in leaf form, or any other sweetener that can't be found in its usable form in nature).  Never, never.  This is something I should have done a long time ago, for myself if not for the kids.  To give internal workings a complete reset, I'm cutting out all non glutenous grains for six weeks as well.  After that, I'll see how I'm feeling and try out things carefully.  Last, no dairy.  If I had access to a cow of my own, I would happily drink fresh, unprocessed milk.  However, the white liquid in the stores bears absolutely no relation to fresh unprocessed milk and some research indicated the processed stuff can contribute to insulin resistence.  So dairy is out also for 6 to 8 weeks, after which I will try it out carefully and see what happens.

And of course exercise, that other good habit I initially wanted to develop.  I personally believe that being active is something that should incorporate as many members of the family as possible.  I think that exercising in private can send unintended messages about shame of the human body to young children.  I think that children need to see their parents being active in order to want to get moving themselves.  As a family, we already walk quite a bit and that's great.  Muscle endurance is one of the things I want for myself.  I think I have endurance down pat.  But I want speed, strength, agility, and flexibility too.  And, thanks to my initial biochemical rabbithole, I found myself directed into a physical fittness rabbit hole as well and a way of physically training one's body called CrossFit.  Cool!  I've seen a couple crossfit gyms here in town.  But wait!  They post daily workouts on line.  Awesome!  Not a gym person+want to exercise with my family = this is perfect!

And then I realize that I can't even do the posted workouts.  Okay, this is bad.  Really bad.

But wait.  They've developed a program for kids!  That's scaled by age and ability!  I can do this with my kids!

Except that my kids can't do half the stuff posted.

Only that's funny now because while I'm doing the posted kids work outs, my kids are standing next to me laughing their butts off.  Awesome!

Until the second time that workout comes around and they actually try to do the movements.

So, In two weeks, thanks to a cookbook and a couple internet rabbit holes, I've gone from "normal healthy diet" and "yeah, I walk about 3 or 4 times a week" to what's apparently called a paleo diet and a paleo diet's best friend, crossfit.  Completely crazy.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
eema.gray
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Measurements:

Chest:  38 inches
Waist:  32
Hips:  42
Weight: 190

Goals:

Chest (that's under the bust, just to be clear, not on top of the girls):  38
Waist:  26
Hips:  38
Weight:  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 160, though if I have the measurements, I'm not going to worry about the sale that much. 

eema.gray
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Preschool:
3 rounds
Hill sprint
4 hang power cleans, unloaded-PVC
4 push press, unloaded-PVC
4 burpees

+

Practice frog stand

Oh lord, my children are going to be in fits and stiches working with me today.  HAve you ever tried to do a frog stand?  I have.  Couple days ago, I attempted my first one and fell over before I got my feet point the right direction.  Kids thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever witnessed.

eema.gray
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Despite a spur of the moment, all day trip to IKEA, the day was not a complete wash.  There was the walk around IKEA, for one thing.  Even though it's walking at the pace of "hey sweetie, come look at this", it's still walking, and I did have 18 pounds of 5 month old Little Miss on me the entire time.  Plus, in the evening I found myself with enough energy to sit down and do situps, push ups (35, from the knees!), squats, and some upper body work with a weight ball.  That felt good.

Lunch was a bit of a wash, though.  Definitely confirmed wheat/gluten is one of my issues - the fish we had was crusted with something using a flour base and I forgot to tell the lunch line lady no gravy on my potatoes.  Spent 45 minutes trapped in the bathroom about 6 hours later.  :-(

Curious to see if there will be any changes in my measurements on Monday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)