Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

October Weight Loss Challenge: Day 3 Walking

Welcome to Day 3 of the October Weight Loss Challenge!

Are you a walker?

Do you enjoy walking?

Have you ever used walking as a form of exercise?

Will you walk today? How far and/or how long?

A routine of brisk walking has been proven to have the same effects as more strenuous exercise such as jogging or running. Walking also has many good health and weight loss benefits such as:

• Lowering 'bad' cholesterol
  • Raising 'good' cholesterol
  • Reduces the risk/or manages type 2 diabetes
  • Manages your weight
  • Helps you to stay fit

Make walking comfortable by maintaining good posture. Keep your head up with your eyes forward, shoulders back and relaxed. Remember to tighten your abs and buttocks as well. If you have a pedometer, use it to track your steps/distance.

Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro, anyone can effectively and safely lose weight by walking.

One member who signs up for our October Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily activity posts will  be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join our October Weight Loss Challenge! WIN $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I have a full day or work today, so I probably won't walk today, but I DO walk. My husband and I like to take long walks in the park, usually bringing along one of the dogs for the trip. He also likes walking around the neighborhood, but walking on pavement always feels rough on my ankles and knees, so I prefer the park. I also use the treadmill or (my favorite walking exercise!) the Curve at the gym.

LOVE the Curve. If you haven't tried it, do! It's a treadmill but it's curved up in the front and back, which improves your muscle usage and forces you to balance more than a regular treadmill does. It's also not motorized. You control how fast or slow it goes by how far up the curve you step. I didn't think I would like it, but I really do.

NICHOLE87
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Yes I am walker
Yes I enjoy walking its good stress relief
I enjoy walking n take kids long walk ....
Yes I will walk today 1/2 to mile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanyielJ
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I love to walk and trying to get into running.

I used to walk twice a day at my old job, but since starting a new one i have been too busy.  ;)  I will be running for a bit today on the treadmill at work.

AmberMerrell
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM
I love walking! I don't have a way to go to the park to walk & it's pretty dangerous to walk where I live during the summer so I don't get a lot of walking in but I walk to my grandmother's ( only a minute walk ) a few times a day almost everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Just a thought for you. The PT started me on an exercise for my hips that works really well. I use a flat band loop around my ankles, step out and together, to one side, all the way down the longest room you have available for it, and then back again to the other side. Do it until you start getting stiff. It works so well on building up the hips (that and exercises like the pelvic tilts) that I ended up buying an exercise mat and a set of flat band loops for home use.

The flat band loops usually cost $5-10 each. I started with a medium weight, but I'm about to move to extra heavy weight now. I own a full set from medium to XXH, and I tend to take the band I'm using with me when I travel for work. I can't carry weights with me, but that's something I can do every day.

Quoting Bmama1:

I love walking. Either outside or on the treadmill. The only problem is my hips aren't too good after kids so sometimes they hurt. I hope ill be able to walk today.

ForeverInLove
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Are you a walker? No.

Do you enjoy walking? Yes, I do like walking! Specifically, with my husband. We used to take a two mile walk every weekend.

Have you ever used walking as a form of exercise? I have in the past, when I lived somewhere where it was an option.

Will you walk today? How far and/or how long? Probably not. If we do any walking today, it's going to be because we'll go downtown for the homecoming celebrations, and then it won't be for long as they have carnival rides I simply don't have money to spend on.

lifes_a_dance
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
My sister and I do between a 3 and 4 mile brisk walk every other day..I had an ankle injury so jogging is very difficult for me :) I love walking!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMG1120
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I've always loved walking. I walk every day. Whether I plan to use it as a form of exercise does not matter because it is a form of exercise. I will walk today and probably for at least 30 minutes if not more.

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I walk quite a bit. I don't plan to walk today though, my sons home sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Yes I'm a walker, I love to walk.  I try walking everywhere I go. I don't know how much walking I will do today because I'm homeschooling my children but at this moment one is doing math problems independently so I have a moment to post 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN