October Weight Loss Challenge: Day 7 Portion Sizes
Welcome to Day 7 of the October Weight Loss Challenge!
Do you portion your food?
What does your plate at meal time look like?
What are your favorite healthy foods to eat?
Today is all about retraining your eyes and portion control. How much you eat is just as important as what you eat.
- 25% of your plate should be Protein
- 25% of your plate should be Starches (about the size of your fist)
- 50% of your plate should be Vegtables/Fruit
Here are a few tips to understanding healthy serving sizes. The following examples are equivalent to one healthy serving size.
- Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
- Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
- Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
- Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
- Apple is the size of a baseball.
- Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
- Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
- Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
- Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
- Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).