Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

October Weight Loss Challenge: Day 7 Portion Sizes

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM
  • 130 Replies
2 moms liked this

Welcome to Day 7 of the October Weight Loss Challenge!

Do you portion your food?

What does your plate at meal time look like?

What are your favorite healthy foods to eat?

Today is all about retraining your eyes and portion control. How much you eat is just as important as what you eat.

• 25% of your plate should be Protein
  • 25% of your plate should be Starches (about the size of your fist)
  • 50% of your plate should be Vegtables/Fruit

Here are a few tips to understanding healthy serving sizes. The following examples are equivalent to one healthy serving size.

• Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
  • Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
  • Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
  • Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
  • Apple is the size of a baseball.
  • Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
  • Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
  • Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
  • Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
  • Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).

One member who signs up for our October Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily activity posts will  be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join our October Weight Loss Challenge! WIN $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    parkersmama08
    by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    1 mom liked this

I try to eat from the categories above on my plate, but I measure my foods serving sizes on an electronic scale to be exact with portion sizes. That way I know exactly how many calories I'm eating.

ambtrav2kids
    by Amber on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I try to portion things. If I get a box of something for snacks, I will portion it out otherwise my kids would eat it all in one sitting. I think sometimes in this house we have more meat than we should. I have been slowly trying to get everyone to eat less red meat than we had been. Which was every night. Meat and potatoes house. So I try to balance things out. I'm a big fan of veggies. Steamed broccoli and strawberries are my daughter's and my favorite.

mcginnisc
    by Claire on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    1 mom liked this

Do you portion your food?Yes. I weigh it all out on a food scale and have for several years.. I'm slightly anal. lol 

What does your plate at meal time look like?It depends on the meal.. Breakfast is usually an omelet with veggies, Lunch is leftovers, a salad, or lettuce wraps, dinner is always a protein and tons of veggies..seldomly do I make a grain.

What are your favorite healthy foods to eat?Turkey meatloaf loaded with veggies with mashed cauliflower and roasted asparagus....omelets with veggies and sweet potato hash browns...it depends on my mood. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

kngarber
    by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I do meaure because I track my calories on MFP.  I do try not to have any breads, pastas, or rice though.  I have lost weight much more effectively without it.

Bmat
    by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I have been trying portion control. I think that portion control is a way to life-long weight control.

Lesgerm
    by Leslie on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    I do measure out my portions. I try to eat more veggies, then protein, then carbs.
    I love beans, turkey, chicken, and most veggies.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Augmama2be
    by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I try to portion, but don't always get those exact items for dinner. Some nights we have no starch at all and others no protein.

Jace1028
    by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    I cook a vegetable every meal, fruit every meal, and mostly we bake or grill chicken and fancy it up. I do portion my food and my favorite food is steamed broccoli with a little cheese. (but I like it plain too)
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    haileys_mommy06
    by Jenn on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    I just measure my foods because I track it on MFP. I love making wraps! Quick and easy!
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Silvertears1275
    by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Do you portion your food?  Not very strictly.  If a recipe says it makes 4 servings, I use that as a guide. 

What does your plate at meal time look like?  I eat a lot of casserole/salad - mixed up- type of things, especially at dinner.  I do make sure there are lots of veggies.

What are your favorite healthy foods to eat?  quinoa, lots of veggies... I love just about any vegetable roasted. 

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN