Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Why is this happening?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

i was 238 or something when i first started working out, i was super bad i looked terrible, and my health was suffering so i had no choice, So i started low intensity workouts, at 15 mins somewhere between 4-5 days a week.  once i got passed that i started doing a half hour of more med/high intensity cardio i just started that about 3 weeks ago/ actually ill say 2 bc i took a week off bc i had the flu.  anyways i was wieghed last weekend and i GAINED weight im 245! omg 245 thats disqusting! but im hoping maybe it was muscle when i look at my arms and legs they are no longer flabby and my arms look amazingly in shape! i dont want to waste my time doing this if im just gonna keep gaining weight. my health as improved though to! so i guess its not a total waste. I did start eating better also i started that about a month before i started working out, i gave up white bread for 100% whole weat, I gave up soft drinks and sugary juices for water and 100% no sugar added juice. I also gave up fast food, but sometimes i do slip like if im hard up on cash and time ill grab a cheeseburger or something, but i dont do it like ever and im always watching my portions. INstead of eating 3 large meals i now eat 6 small which is great bc i dont over do it and since i have hypoglacima it helps also to keep my sugar balanced! there were so many benefits and other than what i can see my plus sizes pants are now big on me! so i dont get how i gain weight? i am sorta slacking on eating better right now bc i wont be albe to go shopping until sunday and it seems everytime i try to buy something healthy that shits sold out! my god everyone must be trying to eat better lol> 

so idk i am also thinking of adding strengthing to my cardio work out to mix it up a bit! so out of all this, does anyone know what i could be doing wrong! ? i am being honest about all this!! oh one more thing with the half hour cardio i still doing it 4-5 days a week!  any help or encouragemnt wil lbe apperciated

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxysmommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

In my honest opinion I'd ditch the whole wheat bread as well. Whole grains aren't actually good for the human body, we're not meant to eat them. Ditch the juice, you shouldn't drink your calories and try just drinking water. Opt for meals high in protein and healthy fats with veggies. Careful with the fruit as it is carb heavy (as are all those whole grain/grains in general). 

If you're able try increasing your cardio a little and definitly add in strength training, muscles burn more calories at rest! Don't give up! Just tweek what you're doing a little and keep going! You've got this!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Do you track your calories at all? It might be beneficial as you could be eating too much or too little. It can be very helpful to do for a week just to get an idea of what you are eating. 

I agree with the PP about ditching grains. They are actually anti-nutrients as we are not designed to digest them.. do I like them? Yep...do I eat them? Yep.. but not very often.. You should definitely ditch the juice. Never drink your calories. Your body is 66% water, so it craves it. That is what you should drink instead of juice. 

If you are interested in counting calories, I will be happy to do your BMR for you. I would need your age, height, weight and the # of days per week you workout. Adding strength training to your workout regimen is a very good idea. As you build lean muscle mass you will be able to torch more calories at rest as well as during other workouts.

You can do it!!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

roxiekittie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

i cant ditch the bread bc of my sugar problem i have low blood sugar and bread helps keep it higher longer more than anything, even my doc said that, so i switched to a healthier one, we also dont have alot of money so im trying to do with what i have and breads cheap, so is pasta, but i dont eat pasta like at all anymore, as for the juice i always get the 0 cal drinks, and low to no sugar at all! i know i dont eat enough i was already told that so thats problem my problem i downloaded a program and its telling me i teat 1000 cals less than im suppose to!  Theres a BMR on there to but im suppose to intake 2500 thats like impossible for me!  yes i know i been slacking on the eating part, but  its only bc i dont have alot of food left atm.  I mean i have completly given up just about everything and totally switched my diet.  idk i know im not getting anything else, like protien, im so bad when it comes to food i really dont eat anything but when i do i over eat (hense why i increased the meal thign) so i was thinking about getting supplements, ugh idk this sucks lol! thanks though

eema.gray
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah hypoglycemia, how I love thee.  :-)

Same stuff here.  For the longest time, I was sure that my life pretty much depended on milk and grain if I didn't want to crash major bad at random intervals throughout the day.  A couple months ago, my husband and I decided that our family should go grain and dairy (and sweeteners) free for 6 months and see how we were doing weight wise, along with seeing how our children were doing developmentally (my son has speech issues, pretty serious ones that seem to get better or worse depending on what he ate the previous day).  If you can get your net carbohydrates under 20 grams a day (that's grams of carbs after subtracting the fiber from them) and eliminate grains, unfermented dairy, and sweeteners completely, I can promise you, as a former doubting Thomas myself, that hypoglycemia will cease to be an issue.  I've struggled with it since I was 11 years old.  For 2 months, it has been completely gone, even with busy days when I hardly have time to eat, even with nursing an infant under 12 months of age.

Quoting roxiekittie:

i cant ditch the bread bc of my sugar problem i have low blood sugar and bread helps keep it higher longer more than anything, even my doc said that, so i switched to a healthier one, we also dont have alot of money so im trying to do with what i have and breads cheap, so is pasta, but i dont eat pasta like at all anymore, as for the juice i always get the 0 cal drinks, and low to no sugar at all! i know i dont eat enough i was already told that so thats problem my problem i downloaded a program and its telling me i teat 1000 cals less than im suppose to!  Theres a BMR on there to but im suppose to intake 2500 thats like impossible for me!  yes i know i been slacking on the eating part, but  its only bc i dont have alot of food left atm.  I mean i have completly given up just about everything and totally switched my diet.  idk i know im not getting anything else, like protien, im so bad when it comes to food i really dont eat anything but when i do i over eat (hense why i increased the meal thign) so i was thinking about getting supplements, ugh idk this sucks lol! thanks though

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
roxiekittie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

im scared lol! my sugar drops so easliy if i miss one meal its done for me, i also have increased my fiber alot and that seems to help, i guess i can cut down on it, but ill have to wait until i go shopping now that i have an idea what i should get! thanks

eema.gray
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I was scared too!

Try your darndest to avoid "gluten free" processed good.  They usually include potatoe and/or rice starches or flours and those can spike and drop your blood sugar just as badly as grains.  Make sure to use plenty of healthy oils (I prefer olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee, butter with the milk solids strained off), and protein mostly from animals/fish.  If you have enough proteins and fats, you stand only the slightest chances of feeling hungry in between meals because the fats and proteins help you feel satisfied faster and for longer than on carbs and fiber.

Quoting roxiekittie:

im scared lol! my sugar drops so easliy if i miss one meal its done for me, i also have increased my fiber alot and that seems to help, i guess i can cut down on it, but ill have to wait until i go shopping now that i have an idea what i should get! thanks

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I would start counting your calories and focusing on the quality of your food as well...don't give up mama!  You can do this!

roxiekittie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

wow i diddnt know that, here i am thinking, fiber is the best lol

Quoting eema.gray:

I was scared too!

Try your darndest to avoid "gluten free" processed good.  They usually include potatoe and/or rice starches or flours and those can spike and drop your blood sugar just as badly as grains.  Make sure to use plenty of healthy oils (I prefer olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee, butter with the milk solids strained off), and protein mostly from animals/fish.  If you have enough proteins and fats, you stand only the slightest chances of feeling hungry in between meals because the fats and proteins help you feel satisfied faster and for longer than on carbs and fiber.

Quoting roxiekittie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN