Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need tips

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 9 Replies

My name is Tonya, I am 26, 5'3 and (ugh) 184 pounds. I dont know how I let myself get this overweight. So, I am starting on a weightloss journey. My goal is 120, but my current goal is 160. (small increments work better I heard) I have tried some exercises, but I am so out of shape that it's hard to get started. I would like to lose a lil weight in my thighs, but my major problem is my stomach. What exercises would be good for a beginner?

I have also tried to start eating better, I cut out almost all sugared drinks. I drink nothing but diet drinks and water six days of the week. On saturdays, I drink regular drinks. I count my calories, im eating about 900 a day. I dont eat much, I never get hungry until 5 or 6 pm. Counting calories isnt really working for me, because I dont know how to count the proteins and carbs, etc. to make sure Im eating healthy enough. 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
asaffell
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to eat more and more often. Even if you aren't hungry - that few calories means your metabolism is slow and inefficient. NEVER go below 1200, if you're exercising and staying active you need more than that.

MAKE yourself eat a healthy breakfast - eggs and fruit, oatmeal, something that will give you energy through the morning. Eat small snacks if you don't want a full meal. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM
2 moms liked this

You definitely need to be eating more.  Your BMR, based on your height, weight and age, is 1629, which means you need to consume AT LEAST 1629 calories per day.  900 calories means your body is in starvation mode.  You need to increase your calories, especially if you plan on exercising.  Even if you aren't hungry, you need to eat breakfast, and eat about every 3 hours, even just a small 100-200 calorie snack.  Eating throughout the day will keep your body fueled and your blood sugar (which is important for everybody) on an even keel.

Keep working on getting rid of the sugary drinks, AND the diet beverages as well.  They work against you in a lot of ways.

Have you thought about tracking your calories on a website or app, like MyFitnessPal, SparkPeople, or LiveStrong?  They all have free websites and apps, and will calculate out the calories, carbs, fats, proteins, and even the vitamins and minerals for you.

How and what you eat is 80% of the battle.  Eating a balanced, clean diet will help with the belly, and make you feel more energetic.  You can click here to learn about eating clean.

For exercise, walking is always a great place to start.  You can also try DVDs at home, which a lot of us do.  Jillian Michaels has some good ones that some like, some don't.  I suggest starting with the 30 Day Shred if you're new to exercise.  You can also get a lot of videos from YouTube (I know SparkPeople has a channel on there), On Demand, and even the library, all for free, or you can use Netflix and similar services as well.  That can also be a good way to try new things like zumba, kickboxing, or even belly dancing or yoga.  Experiment with new things, and see what works for you!  As long as you'll stick with it and it gets your heart rate up, it counts!  Add in some strength training soon as well (many DVDs incorporate it).  You can get some great ideas from SparkPeople.com.  They have some awesome demos.

I think you're smart to set smaller goals, and go from there, like you're doing.  I'm 5'4", and my initial goal was 160, and I eventually reset it to 134 (half my original weight).  I hit my initial goal in August, and while it's slow now (courtesy of schol mayhem), I'm still going!  You can do it, too!  Just take it one pound at a time, and don't look at what's ahead.  Focus on your accomplishments, and let them fuel you.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

BelindaDuvessa
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The only thing I'm going to add (since it looks like Suzanne covered most of it...) is to go ahead and buy a tape measure (from the sewing section of Wal-Mart) and measure yourself.  Waist, hips, neck and thighs are good places to start.  You'll hit a spot where the scale isn't moving, but you are still losing the fat.  With measurements, you can track this loss, so you won't get discouraged if the scale doesn't move for weeks at a time.......

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Suz beat me to it. She is absolutely right on. 

You are currently eating way too little. NOBODY should ever eat less than 1200 calories so if you are eating 900, you are starving your body of necessary nutrients that it needs. Your body needs a balance of macronutrients ( fats, carbs, proteins) and micronutrients ( only found in produce). This means that you need to eat breakfast, which will start your metabolism for the day as you are breaking a long fast from sleeping. Then, in order to continue the trend, you should ever few hours ( nuts, string cheese, apple, nut butter, veggies and hummus). 

Ditch the diet drinks. They are terrible for you. Your body needs water and craves it as it is 55-66% water. 

In order to count calories, use a website. They do it all for you- calories, carbs, proteins, fiber, etc... 

www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, and www.livestrong.com.

I can guarantee that if you increase your calories to reflect the numbers that Suz gave you, use a website, and workout a few times per week doing cardio and strength training you will start to see a difference. Measuring like Belinda suggested is also a great way to see changes!

You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

What she said... :)

Quoting musicpisces:

You definitely need to be eating more.  Your BMR, based on your height, weight and age, is 1629, which means you need to consume AT LEAST 1629 calories per day.  900 calories means your body is in starvation mode.  You need to increase your calories, especially if you plan on exercising.  Even if you aren't hungry, you need to eat breakfast, and eat about every 3 hours, even just a small 100-200 calorie snack.  Eating throughout the day will keep your body fueled and your blood sugar (which is important for everybody) on an even keel.

Keep working on getting rid of the sugary drinks, AND the diet beverages as well.  They work against you in a lot of ways.

Have you thought about tracking your calories on a website or app, like MyFitnessPal, SparkPeople, or LiveStrong?  They all have free websites and apps, and will calculate out the calories, carbs, fats, proteins, and even the vitamins and minerals for you.

How and what you eat is 80% of the battle.  Eating a balanced, clean diet will help with the belly, and make you feel more energetic.  You can click here to learn about eating clean.

For exercise, walking is always a great place to start.  You can also try DVDs at home, which a lot of us do.  Jillian Michaels has some good ones that some like, some don't.  I suggest starting with the 30 Day Shred if you're new to exercise.  You can also get a lot of videos from YouTube (I know SparkPeople has a channel on there), On Demand, and even the library, all for free, or you can use Netflix and similar services as well.  That can also be a good way to try new things like zumba, kickboxing, or even belly dancing or yoga.  Experiment with new things, and see what works for you!  As long as you'll stick with it and it gets your heart rate up, it counts!  Add in some strength training soon as well (many DVDs incorporate it).  You can get some great ideas from SparkPeople.com.  They have some awesome demos.

I think you're smart to set smaller goals, and go from there, like you're doing.  I'm 5'4", and my initial goal was 160, and I eventually reset it to 134 (half my original weight).  I hit my initial goal in August, and while it's slow now (courtesy of schol mayhem), I'm still going!  You can do it, too!  Just take it one pound at a time, and don't look at what's ahead.  Focus on your accomplishments, and let them fuel you.

Good luck!

reneawesley
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Welcome! These ladies have given you some great advice.
Dimples303
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I agree with everything these ladies have said! I use sparkpeople to track my food and exercise and I have lost 20lbs sense the beginning of September. You can do it!! :)

LindaClement
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

It would be better if you cut out 'sweetened' drinks, rather than just sugary ones... but it's all a continuum.

What you'll find is that when you start anywhere, it spreads out. You start going for a walk, realize that your efforts are 'wasted' if you go home and reward yourself with a family-size chocolate bar... and then check out some new fresh veg... and get frustrated with your regular restaurant's limited menu when you realize you don't want to eat anything on it...

rhondagraymond
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Counting calories is not easy for a lot of people so do not get discouraged by that. Instead there are weight loss tips that might be helpful. Also, even diet drinks are not good for losing weight because they mess up the acids in your stomach and somehow make you gain more rather than lose. 900 calories a day is very little and will make you feel like you have no energy to exercise. All the best girl! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)