Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I have done really good about controlling my eating and have lost 40 lbs since May but I'm under alot of stress and just want to buy ice, chips and dip and veg out in front of the TV. if I do this one time it won't ruin things will it? I just feel like having a "binge night" will cause me to gain back all that weight.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Silvertears1275
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this

On one hand, no, it wouldn't ruin everything you've done so far and it might let a little steam off to keep you from a more serious binge later if you are prone to that sort of thing.  But on the other hand, I would be afraid it would make you look back on it later and say "well, it didn't hurt that time, it will be OK now, too."  So, I guess my opinion is that if you have a history of huge binges and this might keep you from a bigger binge, it may not be so bad BUT if you can resist it without it just building up, then go to bed or something to just avoid it.

I'm prone to binge eating and I think part of what I'm struggling with right now is that I had given myself permission to binge a few times and it's so much harder to resist it when you have done it and you still lost weight that week....  But obviously, if I keep letting myself binge, I will be right back where I started.

wheresthewayout
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Set a timer for 20 minutes, if you still feel the "need" then have something you wouldn't normally have.  I find that now if I have a bad day of overeating, my body doesn't like it anymore.  This is after only three weeks!

This is an awesome idea! I will do this for sure

divaroo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

When I lost a good amount of weight before I never with held anything. If I wanted chocolate I ate it. Just a much smaller peice. I found that when I did not allow myself to have something I would "binge" on it when I did have it! 

Great job on the weight loss so far! Keep up the great work. 

chrissyof5
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I say binge, but dont jump over a cliff. 

I try to deal with binges by finding out exactly what I am craving. Is it sweets? Is it salty? Is it starchy? Then find something that will be not so good, but no sooooo bad to eat.

That way the body is satified and the mind can rest knowing that I didnt go over board. :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I would suggest finding other coping mechanisms. As an emotional eater who's still in recovery herself, I can tell you that those binges only feel good before you do it. They make me feel like crap during, and even worse afterward, both physically and emotionally. Then trying to work out after that is SO hard, AND getting my food back on track is even hard. A binge can lead to a nasty downward spiral.
I totally agree about not making foods "off limits", but rather, having a low limit for them. Allowing a little here and there is one thing, but eating a gallon of ice cream (or even a pint) will solve nothing. Demonstrating self-control in these situations is significantly more rewarding than any binge.
Good luck with 3 weeks away from the family! My whole family was just gone for 2, and it was definitely hard!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:22 AM
I don't think its a matter of withholding, its a matter of not eating in response to an emotional situation. I'm working hard to stop doing that because it is a downward spiral as others have said.

Quoting divaroo:

When I lost a good amount of weight before I never with held anything. If I wanted chocolate I ate it. Just a much smaller peice. I found that when I did not allow myself to have something I would "binge" on it when I did have it! 

Great job on the weight loss so far! Keep up the great work. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by Tasha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I hope today is a better day for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

These ladies have some great advice and I hope today is a better day for you as well!  Good luck mama!

wheresthewayout
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Today is better and I don't feel guilty about how much I ate. I actually went out and bought all sorts of junk food and when it came down to it I hand a handful of chips and some ice cream. I just lost interest and went to bed.

Quoting nlonnon:

I hope today is a better day for you.

wheresthewayout
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Your right, I did get some great advice and even thought I bought 3 bags of chips I only hand a handful, some ice cream.  I don't feel stressed anymore. I feel better and I think once I started eating that food I had not had in months, my brain wasn't as excited as my taste buds, lol, oh lord I hope that makes sense. I just guess I have gotten so use to eating a low  sodium/fat diet so what I thought I was craving, turned out to be unappealing in the end.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

These ladies have some great advice and I hope today is a better day for you as well!  Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)