Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I have done really good about controlling my eating and have lost 40 lbs since May but I'm under alot of stress and just want to buy ice, chips and dip and veg out in front of the TV. if I do this one time it won't ruin things will it? I just feel like having a "binge night" will cause me to gain back all that weight.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Replies (21-28):
iluvmybabe
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

i have found this out too. it seems like the mind builds up the food to be better than it actually is.

Quoting wheresthewayout:

I just guess I have gotten so use to eating a low  sodium/fat diet so what I thought I was craving, turned out to be unappealing in the end.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

These ladies have some great advice and I hope today is a better day for you as well!  Good luck mama!

.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM
One night (or day) won't instantly cause you to gain 40 pounds.
MamaKarrot
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Have a small portion of something you're craving and take a bubble bath and paint your toes or something.  Sounds like you need to de-stress but try to find new ways to do that without overeating. One night won't kill you or cause you to gain 40lbs, but I think the underlying emotional turmoil going on underneath your want/need to binge is more the issue than the calories.  It's really hard to undo that habit.  *hugs*

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I always allow myself that binge time.  The hard part is getting back on track after the binge is over.

You didn't gain weight because you binged every once in a while.  You gained weight because you consistently ate too many calories.

Sewsofun
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I agree with mamakarrot. When I'm trying to avoid the binge, I take a shower or bath by candle light, shave my legs, paint my toes and lotion. By then I'm so relaxed I want to go to sleep and I've completely avoided a pint of b&js. It's great. Plus I feel.sexy afterwards. Clean, smooth, light and virtuous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to have a "free" day every week, lol. I lost 72 lbs doing this too. It was my way of being good all week and rewarding myself for my efforts. I don't think your "binge" is too bad really. Two big macs, large fries, a double mocha shake, and everything you listed would be pretty naughty, lol. I say have what you want, but don't stuff yourself, and don't see it as a binge night, call it your "free" night, or "treat" night. There's way less guilt in it that way. ;)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you mama!  That's progress!

Quoting wheresthewayout:

Today is better and I don't feel guilty about how much I ate. I actually went out and bought all sorts of junk food and when it came down to it I hand a handful of chips and some ice cream. I just lost interest and went to bed.

Quoting nlonnon:

I hope today is a better day for you.

BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM

One binge night is probably not going to undo all your progress. However, it may make you miserable later, depending on what your current eating plan is. A binge night like that on a low carb diet plan can cause diarrhia, stomach cramps, bloating, and make you go through the cycle of purging all over again.

Technically speaking, ANY long-term weight loss plan has to have wiggle room for special occasions. As long as special occasions aren't coming often, splurging once in a while is okay. But splurging with a little bit instead of a lot is preferrable. When I need chips, I tend to buy a snack size bag of them instead of a big bag. When I want chocolate cake, I buy a chocolate cupcake. That portion controls my bad moments and helps me not overdo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)