Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

She's cheating!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 36 Replies
This is just a little vent and I need advice. My stepdaughter's mother is my weight loss partner at the moment. We are similar in size and she needs someone to motivate her. She asked me if I'd be willing to keep on her every day since I've had some great success over the last 4 months. We both discussed doing it "right", meaning, calorie counting (eating REAL food) exercise, and drinking plenty of water. I gave the suggestion since it's working for me and the last time she tried losing weight 5 months ago, she gained it all back (because she was using diet shakes) So yesterday she calls me and wants to work out. She's excited she lost 3 lbs and she confesses to me that eating real food is too hard so she's back on the shakes :( I'm not a fan! She gained every single pound back earlier this year! Why would you do that again? I don't like that she broke our rules either. I've been working my @$$ off, doing everything right and she's taking short cuts! How would you approach this situation? Need advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this
All you can really do is talk to her about it. Tell her the benefits of doin it right. But ultimately she has to want to do it the right way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxysmommy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

If it were me I would call her out on it. I'm a straightforward person and not everyone is comfortable with that approach. But she did ask for you to help keep her accountable, so I say do it!

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I could see how that would be upsetting. But unfortunatly you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it.
Focus on YOUR healthy weight loss. She will probably loose faster then you but like you said she will gain it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM
This , you can not force her to do anything. Yes she did ask for help ,but it seems like she doesn't want it

Quoting jendawn1:

I could see how that would be upsetting. But unfortunatly you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it.

Focus on YOUR healthy weight loss. She will probably loose faster then you but like you said she will gain it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM
That is true! We tried to start together on Sept 29th and I got into my routine and I was texting her motivtional things to find out she was at Olive Garden. Then I asked her to go on a hike, she cancelled. The next day she said it was too hard to lose weight and her mind plays tricks on her. I had clocked 20 miles that week while she made excuses. She would text me how bad the food was that she chose to eat. I felt like it was dragging me down a little, but I still want to be there for her. Then to find out she's back on those shakes annoys me a bit! What did I get myself into?!? I'm for sure continuing on the way I've been doing it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

This.  I was thinking the same thing. :(

Quoting jendawn1:

jjm3only1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

That sucks! :/ Having a success partner is great because it can help motivate you. I would just tell her that ya'll had an agreement to lose weight the right and healthy way and not use shakes. Maybe remind her of how she did that once before and she ended up gaining all the weight back so it would be a waste of money for her to do it again. Hopefully that will help her understand. If not, then do it without her. If she's not really committed to losing weight then she's not going to even if you try to encourage her. I hope that helps! I'm sure if she turns out not to be the success partner you were looking for, you can find someone on this board! :)

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I think it's her life so you'll have to let her do it her way but it sounds like she already knows how it's going to end :(

edelweiss23
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM
You can Messege me!!!!
I am in need of a motivating pal!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Don't be her partner anymore. Its her choice how she wants to lose her weight, you have no control over it. If its making you that upset, eliminate the situation.

You don't have to agree with how she chooses to lose weight, but if you're going to be there for her, then be there. If not, then don't.

Maybe she chose to the shakes again because she got great results before, and for some people, seeing results sooner is a bigger motivator to keep going- not everyone has patience to wait it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN