Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

seriously considering

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

Dropping my calories to like 16 or 1700 a day

I'm supposed to eat between like 1750 and 2150 (give or take a few cal.) and I have been doing it faithfully since I got in the group- I've tried lower end- higher end dropping below one day a week, staying in the middle...

I just realised (after looking at journal entries on sparkpeople) that I have managed to lose a grand total of 13 lbs since April.

I am a big girl - started at 239 and now at 211.5  I just don't get it.  I keep adding more work out time and variety-including weights and pilates and belly dance and pulling weeds here and there (GIANT ones in the back) and it seems the more I add -the slower the weight loss.

I am beginning to wonder if there is some sort of health thing going on or WHAT

45 days ago I was 211.5- then I went back up a couple lbs...and FINALLY I'm back to it but not below...

would it be a bad ide to drop the calories about a hundred below BMR?  I totalled over 1600 min of work out time last month...(a lot of it was zumba)

*EDITED TO ADD:  I have only lost maybe 3-4 inches TOTAL since I started in mid Feb- havn't dropped any sizes yet that I can tell

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Eating LESS is not always the answer.   It may be that you need at the higher end all of the time.  If you are working out that much, maybe your calories are too low.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I would stick to your BMR mama...you won't lose weight if you go below your BMR.  What kinds of foods are you eating?  Fruits, veggies, lean protein?  Very little processed food?  LOTS of water!  Have you lost inches?  I know that I usually lose inches before I lose many pounds.  Don't give up mama!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It might be because of the exercise that you're not getting ENOUGH calories.  When I was at the height of my running, and tracking everything very closely, with a deficit of 8000 calories a week, I wasn't losing a pound.  It was BEYOND frustrating.  But I think my body was holding onto stuff because of how much I was exercising.

You can always try cutting your calories for a couple of weeks and see what happens, but I'd try increasing first, especially if you're eating on the low end of your range.  Just my two cents!  I know it's super frustrating!!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ahasugar
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

i say eat more protein, drink more water?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I've lost a TOTAL of maybe 3 or 4 inches all together since I started in mid Feb.

I eat a variety of food- never fry anything,rarely eat out... yes I still eat processed stuff and whatnot here and there- but I've lost weight eating this way before and that was  without the exercise!   This time it seems almost impossible to make progress

kewimom
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Could be what your eating vs the calories.  Sounds like you are doing everything right, the tracking and the working out.  I am in the same boat, tracking and working out and I am in a stand still.  Also with ALOT of ZUMBA.  You also may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat.  Check inches vs what the scales says, I am trying that now, before I go back to my doctor to figure out another plan.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Quoting musicpisces:

It might be because of the exercise that you're not getting ENOUGH calories.  When I was at the height of my running, and tracking everything very closely, with a deficit of 8000 calories a week, I wasn't losing a pound.  It was BEYOND frustrating.  But I think my body was holding onto stuff because of how much I was exercising.

You can always try cutting your calories for a couple of weeks and see what happens, but I'd try increasing first, especially if you're eating on the low end of your range.  Just my two cents!  I know it's super frustrating!!  =)

the last few weeks-I've stuck to the high end of BMR

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I would try eating right around1750-1800 for a few weeks and see where you are. The formula for calculating bmr isn't perfect for everyone so is play around with it a bit. If you've been eating at the high end, try going low end. That's my opinion :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Quoting Stefanie83:

I would try eating right around1750-1800 for a few weeks and see where you are. The formula for calculating bmr isn't perfect for everyone so is play around with it a bit. If you've been eating at the high end, try going low end. That's my opinion :)

I've done both...low end and high and every combination in between...maybe go low end again? I went higher because that wasn't working

MamaJessx3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
What does your typical workout look like? How long each day? What activity? How many times per week?

What's a typical day of food for you (specifics), breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

You could need to alter your diet if you're still eating much processed foods. Just because you were able to lose weight before that way doesn't mean it'll always work again.

And maybe you need to change up your exercise routine. Maybe your body has gotten use to it. Do you use a HRM to track calories burned? Or do u check your heart rate while working out to make sure it's up where it needs to be for at least 30-45 minutes?

I definitely wouldn't go below your BMR. Try tweaking things like your diet and exercise first. And like a pp said, u may need to eat more with the exercise you're doing...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)