October Weight Loss Challenge: Day 24 Strength Training
Welcome to Day 24 of the October Weight Loss Challenge!
Do you do any strength training?
What excercises do you do and how often do you strength train?
If you do not strength train, what other workouts do you incorporate to build muscle mass?
Strength training builds muscle mass and keeps bones strong. Your body burns more calories maintaining muscle than it does maintaining fat.
Here are some tips for strength training:
- Learn proper form (most important!)
- Stick to the basics : Squats, Deadlift, Reverse Lunge, Glute Bridge, Push-Up, Inverted Row, Chin-Up, Overhead Press, Plank
- Use Acceptable Alternatives if mobility prevents you from doing any particular exercise
- Focus on getting stronger, by SLOWLY increasing weight/reps as time goes on
- Be Consistant (strength training 3 days a week is recommended)
- Set Goals and Don't Be Intimidated
- If You Are New to Strength Training, follow a Beginner Program
- Understand That Strength Training is building your muscles, NOT 'bulking' you up.
If you are new to strength training, be sure to seek the help of trainers, gym employees or other knowledgable professionals on how to properly use free weights and equipment to avoid injury!