Welcome to Day 24 of the October Weight Loss Challenge!
Do you do any strength training?
What excercises do you do and how often do you strength train?
If you do not strength train, what other workouts do you incorporate to build muscle mass?
Strength training builds muscle mass and keeps bones strong. Your body burns more calories maintaining muscle than it does maintaining fat.
Here are some tips for strength training:
- Learn proper form (most important!)
- Stick to the basics : Squats, Deadlift, Reverse Lunge, Glute Bridge, Push-Up, Inverted Row, Chin-Up, Overhead Press, Plank
- Use Acceptable Alternatives if mobility prevents you from doing any particular exercise
- Focus on getting stronger, by SLOWLY increasing weight/reps as time goes on
- Be Consistant (strength training 3 days a week is recommended)
- Set Goals and Don't Be Intimidated
- If You Are New to Strength Training, follow a Beginner Program
- Understand That Strength Training is building your muscles, NOT 'bulking' you up.
If you are new to strength training, be sure to seek the help of trainers, gym employees or other knowledgable professionals on how to properly use free weights and equipment to avoid injury!
One member who signs up for our October Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 20 of the daily activity posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!
Click here to sign up:
Join our October Weight Loss Challenge! WIN $25 gift card and lots of other PRIZES!
Join us in the Healthy Weight Loss group
on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM