Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

healthy carbs?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
I know your body needs carbs because carbs provide fuel. I know mostly what bad carbs are, but unsure what are considered the healthy ones. For example, is a potato a good carb? I mean it is a vegetable too right? What about brown rice? I guess I need a little help lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KelissaMaye
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Brown rice is a good carb.
http://goodcarbs.org/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I wouldn't consider potatoes vegetables lol. I mean technically they are, but they don't count as far as healthy veggies in my book. Brown rice is a good carb. Whole wheat pasta, quinoa, barley,oatmeal, those are all good choices.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a matter of preference and perspective.

First of all, our body doesn't need nearly as many carbs as you'd think (about 30g - 50g a day are required) and we can get all of those from non-starchy vegetables.  Our body needs fuel in the form of glucose, and it's very adept at converting fat to glucose, too.

I don't look at grains as healthy carbs.  Healthy, IMO, means the food is contributing more than just calories to our diet, and grains have very little nutrition when compared to other foods.  They are well known to contain anti-nutrients, which take away from our bodies.  They contain a good load of phytates which bind minerals (think calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, zinc, etc.) so that the minerals can't be used by our bodies.  They contain lectins, which cause inflammation in so many of our body's systems:  circulatory, skeletal, digestive, etc.  The fiber that they're so well known for is found in equal or greater amounts in nutritious vegetables and fruits. 

I prefer to get my carbs from veggies and the occasional apple or orange or avocado, sometimes even dairy products such as cheese.  Oh, and sweet potatoes are a good, healthy source of carbs.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I definitely think of carbs as healthy. Loads of potassium and vit c, a little iron.
I agree that other veggies are great too --green beans, onions, Etc. and I looooove fruit which are very carby. I especially love bananas and grapes.

And I love 100% whole wheat bread although I think they would be best eaten in moderation. And I check for higher protein and fiber and lower sodium and sugar. :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Great info....thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's a matter of preference and perspective.

First of all, our body doesn't need nearly as many carbs as you'd think (about 30g - 50g a day are required) and we can get all of those from non-starchy vegetables.  Our body needs fuel in the form of glucose, and it's very adept at converting fat to glucose, too.

I don't look at grains as healthy carbs.  Healthy, IMO, means the food is contributing more than just calories to our diet, and grains have very little nutrition when compared to other foods.  They are well known to contain anti-nutrients, which take away from our bodies.  They contain a good load of phytates which bind minerals (think calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, zinc, etc.) so that the minerals can't be used by our bodies.  They contain lectins, which cause inflammation in so many of our body's systems:  circulatory, skeletal, digestive, etc.  The fiber that they're so well known for is found in equal or greater amounts in nutritious vegetables and fruits. 

I prefer to get my carbs from veggies and the occasional apple or orange or avocado, sometimes even dairy products such as cheese.  Oh, and sweet potatoes are a good, healthy source of carbs.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Good carbs - any vegetable or grain that is unprocessed.  Pasta is processed, pasta is NOT a good source of carbohydrates.  Brown, red, and black rices are unprocessed enough to be "okay" (I don't eat grains at all but that's different).  A potato is a very dense source of carbs but you shouldn't eat too many - a 1/2 cup serving 2 or 3 times a week is plenty unless you're extremely active.  All fruits and veggies are carbohydrates also and none of them are really off limits.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I agree with these guys.  Veggies are great, sweet potatoes, fruit, quinoa, things like that.  I also do sprouted grains (I like Food For Life breads, tortillas, and English muffins).  Whole grains are good (like the brown rice).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

rhondagraymond
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

All carbs are good but it’s the amount of quantity in which it exists in different weights. For eg. A good bowl of low carb salad will always be lower than a slice of pizza or sugary items. The best option is to follow a low carb diet plan regardless of food but low on carbs of course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN