Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Trying to end a lifelong struggle!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My name is Jessica and I have been overweight most of my life.

Before I started kindergarten, I was an average sized kid. Once I started school I started packing on the pounds. I started out just being chubby, and as the years went on I just got bigger and bigger. Now I am 26 with two kids, and weigh almost 300 pounds. I haven't weighed myself in a few months, but last time I did I was 280. I am only 5'3".

The double edged sword about my weight is that I feel that I still look pretty proportionate. And I have a husband that loves me and thinks I am sexy. I call this a double edged sword because I constantly get in this mindset that I don't need to lose weight, I'm fine the way I am. But deep down inside I know that I am miserable. I constantly come across pictures of me that are just horrible, I look like such a butterball! I have always been overweight, as I said before, but since I had my son in November 2010 I have been HUGE. Ugh...So now I am trying, ONCE AGAIN to eat right and lose weight.

I am JUST BEGINNING. I have been eating small meals and eating only whole grains, protein, and fruits/veggies. I will admit, yesterday was my son's birthday and I ate a piece of his birthday cake at 1 AM! What is wrong with me?? lol.

That is the only major slip-up I have had since Friday. Now I am going to try and start some light exercise in addition with the changes to my diet. I know I will be out of breath immediately and it will take awhile to get conditioned to be able to REALLY exercise. I just feel like it's now or never, and I can not go back to my old way of eating and living this time. I don't want to end up on TV for being the world's largest woman or something, for some reason this is a fear of mine!

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this website today, and I feel like this might just be another tool in my quest for weight loss. To anyone else that reads this and can relate to me, good luck! Any words of wisdom or advice would also be much appreciated. I plan on checking this site and posting at least weekly.

I will post some "before" pictures that were taken a couple days ago, they are such a motivator!

Have a great day everyone!

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (41-46):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

1670 is probably too low for you (though I'm glad to see it didn't tell you 1200!).  It's best to try to stay above your BMR, or basal metabolic rate.  Your BMR is the amount of calories your body requires to exist each day.  If you eat below that, you can see your weight loss stall at some point.  Your body slows down (or stops) normal metabolic processes in order to conserve calories.  It's a survival tool going back to when food was scarce, and your next meal wasn't a sure thing.  Your body also switches from burning fat to burning lean tissue, like organs and muscles, so over the long term, this can cause permanent damage.  If you'd like, I can calculate your BMR for you.  I'd just need your current weight and how much you're currently working out (I see your age and height are in the original post).  I'll give you a safe calorie range to eat within.  Don't add in exercise calories from there, because the range will factor those in.  Once you have that range, you can decide what to eat based on the kind of day you've had, exercise, etc.

Quoting jhanso86:

MFP says (before adding exercise) that I should eat 1670 a day for my current weight and 2 pound per week weight loss. I am sometimes under that amount and sometimes just a little over. When the exercise is added it tells me to eat well over 2000 calories. I am actually thinking about eating clean, I already eat mostly clean since I have been changing my diet. It is all pretty confusing, I just feel like....at least I'm making way healthier choices than before. I was probably eating at least 3000 cals a day before without even knowing it.

And thank you :) I am getting ready to do the same one I did yesterday, except do the whole 50 minutes this time! I am also wondering about how the body starts to get used to the exercise. How often should you change it up to see results? I am planning on doing this "Walk Away The Pounds" for a couple weeks then maybe trying Zumba. I have already tried it (on youtube) and felt way too uncoordinated, but after a few weeks of exercising maybe I will be able to do it. I definitely don't want to start gettting used to one exercise and then not get as good of results as I could be getting.

Thanks for everyone's advice and wisdom! I really do appreciate all of you!!! :D

Quoting musicpisces:

Are you eating within a calorie range that we provided, or are you eating what MFP has told you (often too low)?  If you're eating what we told you to, ignore the additional calories it credits you for your workouts.  If you're eating by their calories, then eat those calories.  Their calorie allowance is intentionally too low to account for you working out and adding in those calories (though knowing MFP, it told you 1200 calories, and even 1708 calories is too few for you).

Great job on making it through the workout!!  I've heard great things about that DVD from people in this group.  Good job pushing yourself to that point!!  THAT is how you get RESULTS!!!!! =)

way to go

Quoting jhanso86:

Whew! Just did 48 minutes of "Walk Away The Pounds." Acording to Leslie Sansone, that was a brisk 4 mile walk! lol. Myfitnesspal says that I burned 508 calories today, and it ended up saying I can eat 508 more calories...I don't understand this. Can anyone please explain? I thought I was supposed to eat a set amount of calories and exercise to burn even more calories. Not eat more calories when I exercise. I am a little confused. Anyway, I feel great but toward the end, I was dying! I wanted to quit so bad, but I just kept pushing myself and I (almost) finished. I quit with only one minute left! Tomorrow when I do it, my goal is to completely finish.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jhanso86
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Well thanks, I would definitely appreciate if you could calculate my BMR! I am not totally sure of my current weight, last time I got weighed I was like 280 (that was a few months ago). I am 5'3"...26 years old (I know you said you already saw that, but just so it's all in one place.) And I am doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and sometimes more like 50 minutes. I am currently trying to figure out a store or pharmacy or somewhere like that where I can go weight myself every once in a while. I really want to know how much I weight right now since it's been months since I was weighed.

Quoting musicpisces:

1670 is probably too low for you (though I'm glad to see it didn't tell you 1200!).  It's best to try to stay above your BMR, or basal metabolic rate.  Your BMR is the amount of calories your body requires to exist each day.  If you eat below that, you can see your weight loss stall at some point.  Your body slows down (or stops) normal metabolic processes in order to conserve calories.  It's a survival tool going back to when food was scarce, and your next meal wasn't a sure thing.  Your body also switches from burning fat to burning lean tissue, like organs and muscles, so over the long term, this can cause permanent damage.  If you'd like, I can calculate your BMR for you.  I'd just need your current weight and how much you're currently working out (I see your age and height are in the original post).  I'll give you a safe calorie range to eat within.  Don't add in exercise calories from there, because the range will factor those in.  Once you have that range, you can decide what to eat based on the kind of day you've had, exercise, etc.

Quoting jhanso86:

MFP says (before adding exercise) that I should eat 1670 a day for my current weight and 2 pound per week weight loss. I am sometimes under that amount and sometimes just a little over. When the exercise is added it tells me to eat well over 2000 calories. I am actually thinking about eating clean, I already eat mostly clean since I have been changing my diet. It is all pretty confusing, I just feel like....at least I'm making way healthier choices than before. I was probably eating at least 3000 cals a day before without even knowing it.

And thank you :) I am getting ready to do the same one I did yesterday, except do the whole 50 minutes this time! I am also wondering about how the body starts to get used to the exercise. How often should you change it up to see results? I am planning on doing this "Walk Away The Pounds" for a couple weeks then maybe trying Zumba. I have already tried it (on youtube) and felt way too uncoordinated, but after a few weeks of exercising maybe I will be able to do it. I definitely don't want to start gettting used to one exercise and then not get as good of results as I could be getting.

Thanks for everyone's advice and wisdom! I really do appreciate all of you!!! :D

Quoting musicpisces:

Are you eating within a calorie range that we provided, or are you eating what MFP has told you (often too low)?  If you're eating what we told you to, ignore the additional calories it credits you for your workouts.  If you're eating by their calories, then eat those calories.  Their calorie allowance is intentionally too low to account for you working out and adding in those calories (though knowing MFP, it told you 1200 calories, and even 1708 calories is too few for you).

Great job on making it through the workout!!  I've heard great things about that DVD from people in this group.  Good job pushing yourself to that point!!  THAT is how you get RESULTS!!!!! =)

way to go

Quoting jhanso86:

Whew! Just did 48 minutes of "Walk Away The Pounds." Acording to Leslie Sansone, that was a brisk 4 mile walk! lol. Myfitnesspal says that I burned 508 calories today, and it ended up saying I can eat 508 more calories...I don't understand this. Can anyone please explain? I thought I was supposed to eat a set amount of calories and exercise to burn even more calories. Not eat more calories when I exercise. I am a little confused. Anyway, I feel great but toward the end, I was dying! I wanted to quit so bad, but I just kept pushing myself and I (almost) finished. I quit with only one minute left! Tomorrow when I do it, my goal is to completely finish.

jhanso86
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

PROGRESS!!

I did the same "Walk Off The Pounds" that I did yesterday...and I got completely through it WITHOUT STOPPING! I also did ALL the jogging parts, which I did not do yesterday. I think it was my mindset. I told myself I was doing the whole thing before I even started, and there were times I felt very tired but I never wanted to quit.

I'm so proud of myself!! :D

Also, I feel like my face/neck is a little smaller than when I started my journey to be healthier! I don't know how much weight I have lost (if any) but I do know that I feel better. I have more energy and I'm happier. I actually played with the kids today (PHYSICALLY playing, not just sitting down) and I haven't done that in awhile. I even thought as I was doing it "I'm burning calories right now!" lol. And it was fun.

Definitely feeling a lot more postive today!

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone ;)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

BMR: 2047

2057 x 1.55 = 3173

3173-500=2673

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 2047-2673 calories per day.

I hope that helps some!  We should redo those every 5-10 lbs, because you'll require fewer calories as your weight goes down.

I would suggest getting a cheap scale from Target or something.

There's this inexpensive one on Amazon, for example.  You don't need anything fancy, but it's nice to know how you're doing as you go, ya know?

Quoting jhanso86:

Well thanks, I would definitely appreciate if you could calculate my BMR! I am not totally sure of my current weight, last time I got weighed I was like 280 (that was a few months ago). I am 5'3"...26 years old (I know you said you already saw that, but just so it's all in one place.) And I am doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and sometimes more like 50 minutes. I am currently trying to figure out a store or pharmacy or somewhere like that where I can go weight myself every once in a while. I really want to know how much I weight right now since it's been months since I was weighed.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting jhanso86:

Quoting musicpisces:

way to go

Quoting jhanso86:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jhanso86
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Thanks girl! And I definitely do need to invest in a scale! I will be doing that soon! Happy Thanksgiving!! :D

Quoting musicpisces:

BMR: 2047

2057 x 1.55 = 3173

3173-500=2673

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 2047-2673 calories per day.

I hope that helps some!  We should redo those every 5-10 lbs, because you'll require fewer calories as your weight goes down.

I would suggest getting a cheap scale from Target or something.

There's this inexpensive one on Amazon, for example.  You don't need anything fancy, but it's nice to know how you're doing as you go, ya know?

Quoting jhanso86:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting jhanso86:

Quoting musicpisces:

way to go

Quoting jhanso86:

BeautyFull
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Please contact me!!

Here is a photo of somone that lost 32lbs in only 4 weeks using all natural products.  I would be happy to share with you how you can make it possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)