Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

plateau :(

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM
  • 26 Replies
Hello, I'm Sarah. I'm a sahm to 3 girls (ages 9, 2, and 1) I go to a gym and eat mostly healthy but I'm totally stuck at the 193 mark :( been here for 7 weeks. At my heaviest just after dd was born I was 227, so I've been doing all this very slowly, lol, but it is definitely more of a lifestyle change than a diet for me. I change little things one at a time. I'm just so sick of seeing 192, 193 and 194 on the scale (it fluctuates) any advice? I just started back at the gym after a 4 month hiatus (soccer season) I'm working out 3 days a week there on strength training and I have a stationary bike at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxysmommy
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I just broke a month and a half long plateau. I switched up my workout routine by trading heavy cardio for HIIT with body-weight movements 2 times a week and elliptical 3 days a week and 10-15 minutes of sprints one day a week. I also increased my calories and healthy fats and I'm back to losing.

3cutiebugs
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks :) I think changing my cardio may be needed. I ride my bike all the time, maybe I'll up my gym cardio time and add in new machines.
What was your calorie intake before? I'm at about 1700 a day, so I don't know if upping it would work for me...

Quoting roxysmommy:

I just broke a month and a half long plateau. I switched up my workout routine by trading heavy cardio for HIIT with body-weight movements 2 times a week and elliptical 3 days a week and 10-15 minutes of sprints one day a week. I also increased my calories and healthy fats and I'm back to losing.

roxysmommy
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not positive what my intake is all the time calorie wise. I have lost most of my 42 lbs without counting calories. When I do log I'm eating around 1700 calories, so I may have been eating around 1500 before. With my diet I don't really need to calorie count. Have you had your BMR done? If so, have you had it re-done recently? If you have lost more than probably about 5 lbs you should have it calculated again. I'd make sure to get in plenty of strength training, I know that had to be a contributing factor in breaking through my plateau.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Welcome! We can calculate your BMR if you'll provide your height, age, and how much you work out. Then we can give you a calorie range to eat within.
How do you eat (meaning the kinds of foods)? That really can make or break you.
3cutiebugs
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Hight is 5'9
Age is 28
I strength train 3x per week for 35-50 minutes cardio 3x for 20 to 45 minutes
thanks!
As for food... I hate veggies, I try to work them into meals but I definitely don't get the rdi. I am trying to substitute high protein snacks for my usually higher carb snacks. I am allergic to fish and seafood, and don't eat ground beef. I cut the fat off of my steaks, roasts, pork and chicken, and eat a lot of ground Turkey breast. I "cheat" with a cookie, candy (fun size) or other treat once every 3-4 days. ... I can't think of anything else significant in my diet, but it's late and my brain is fuzzy at the moment, lol!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome! We can calculate your BMR if you'll provide your height, age, and how much you work out. Then we can give you a calorie range to eat within.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3cutiebugs
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Oh wait, thought of something else. I drink 1 original and 1 zero sugar zero carb rockstar everyday. This is number 2 on my "kick the habit" list.

Quoting 3cutiebugs:

Hight is 5'9

Age is 28

thanks!

As for food... I hate veggies, I try to work them into meals but I definitely don't get the rdi. I am trying to substitute high protein snacks for my usually higher carb snacks. I am allergic to fish and seafood, and don't eat ground beef. I cut the fat off of my steaks, roasts, pork and chicken, and eat a lot of ground Turkey breast. I "cheat" with a cookie, candy (fun size) or other treat once every 3-4 days. ... I can't think of anything else significant in my diet, but it's late and my brain is fuzzy at the moment, lol!

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Your BMR is 1682 - this is the least amount you should be eating each day.

Working out 3-5 days/week, 1682*1.55 = 2607

2607-500=2107 

To lose 1 pound per week, you need to eat between 1682-2107 calories each day.

Quoting 3cutiebugs:

Oh wait, thought of something else. I drink 1 original and 1 zero sugar zero carb rockstar everyday. This is number 2 on my "kick the habit" list.

Quoting 3cutiebugs:

Hight is 5'9

Age is 28

thanks!

Quoting musicpisces:

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Darby beat me to it... 

What do you eat?  Good for you on wanting to ditch the rockstars- they are terrible for you... 

As far as workouts- What are you doing for strength training and for how long? You might need to switch up the cardio by getting on the treadmill or elliptical and giving the bike a rest for a bit. 

You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

nlonnon
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

all great advice above.  good luck to you.  Plateaus suck but don't give up, hopefully with the changes you will notice a difference in the scale soon!

QueenieAbby
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

First, I have to say that I think you're going about the healthy lifestyle the right way by working on one or a few habits at a time.  Usually, that is when it will last.  wink 

As far as changing up your cardio from the bike and doing something else in its place, I think that's a great idea.  Our bodies become comfortable and become stagnant without change every 4-8 weeks. According to your original post, it sounds like you just started working out though, so if that's the case --> it could just be that you're not giving yourself enough time for your metabolism to kick in.

As far as nutrition, following is a reply of mine in another lady's post yesterday.  You may find some benefit to it as well.  If you're already doing all of these things, then what I would suggest is either increasing your exercise to 4-5 days per week and adding in a couple days of strength training. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First of all, I would not suggest calorie counting at all.  I know that may go against many's beliefs that you should as many believe that calories is the only thing that matters to lose weight.  However, calories are not the only thing that matters when it comes to losing body fat.  The types of foods you eat also matter.  You say that you eat healthy, but how much protein are you eating? What types of leafy greens are you eating? How much complex carbs and sugar are you eating?  Are you getting in any essential fats?  These are all the things I would like to see to determine why you're not losing.  Some of my suggestions would be as follows:

(4) Make sure you're getting healthy proteins at every single meal and snack. Proteins are highly thermogenic which means they burn fast.  In fact, they burn at least twice as fast as carbs and fats.

(5) Stick to veggies with most of your meals. 

(6) Have fruit in the morning.  If you want fruit at other parts of the day, have berries instead.  Remember that one serving of fruit is 1/2 small apple, 1/2 small pear, 1/2 small grapefruit.  Berry serving sizes are about 1/3 cup, while strawberries are about 3/4 cup.

(7) Have starchy carbs AFTER a workout only while you are trying to lose body fat. You can have more during maintenance.  Our bodies really don't need many starchy carbs, and your body will utilize these types of carbs better after exercise - especially strength training. 

(8) Include essential fats at every single meal and snack, EXCEPT your post-exercise meal with starchy carbs.  Cold water fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, and sardines.  Including flax seed or chia seeds are great... about a tablespoon twice per day.  You can also drizzle flax oil on your salads or veggies.  A few tablespoons of walnuts are also great added to snacks.

(9) Try to stay away from stress as stress can hold back your progress as well. 

I hope this helps. If you don't make changes after incorporating these suggestions (which I doubt), only then would I suggest counting calories.  But, then you also have to count the right amount of macronutrients as well.  It's a headache and best left to a nutritionist.

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN