Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

• First off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Aimee, I'm 25 years old. Married to my high school sweet heart. We have 2 amazing kids who are our world.

I've been unsuccessful on "diets" my entire life, and the reason for that is because I viewed it as a "diet" instead of just a healthy lifestyle. I'm from Louisiana and here everything we do revolves around food. When you're happy you eat, when you're sad you eat, celebrations, parties, funerals, everything is about food!

I grew up in a house where you pretty much ate what was there. My parents always worked so we had to pretty much eat what we could find and there wasn't every anything healthy in the house. So I got in the habit of just always eating whatever. I've always been overweight, even at my smallest size I was overweight. The bad habits followed me into adulthood and I continued to not shop or buy healthy foods because honestly, I didn't know how. I'm not yet ready to say what exactly my weight is, but I will say that my goal is to lose 85 lbs, and from there I'll make the decision if I wanna lose more than that or not. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy so I can teach my kids to be healthy. I wanna be a role model to them so that they never have to struggle day after day feeling disgusting in their own skin.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Replies (11-12):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning Aimee!! 

I'm the aforementioned Claire. Feel free to pm me your age, height, weight and the # of days per week you workout and I will do your BMR for you and tell you how to customize your calorie goals on MFP. 

I'm a Southerner as well so I understand the draw of the yummies. I'm a Georgia girl so everything here is deep fried and covered in a flour based gravy- the ever present roux....

Here are some things that you can do to lighten your foods- omit salt for one as just about everything has sodium in it, why add more.. you can achieve flavor by using different herbs and spices. I know how awesome hot sauce is and what an integral part of LA cooking it can be, but it is also laden in sodium which can inihibit weight loss. Roast, bake and steam items instead of the lovely frying in canola/ peanut oil or tons of butter that is so common in Cajun and southern cooking. 

I don't fry anything anymore unless it is a very shallow "fry" more like a sear in coconut oil and then pop it into the oven to finish it off. I also bulk everything I can with veggies. 

Omelets for breakfast- we eat a ton of them!- I put onions, mushrooms, spinach, tomato, and then sometimes broccoli, asparagus, peppers, or zucchini if I have them. 

I add proteins, fruits and veggies to my salads for lunch. 

I roast veggies to bring out the flavors and natural sweetness and add them to everything that I can..even sandwiches or wraps. 

My meatloaf is ground turkey loaded with onions, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, carrots, zucchini, herbs and sliced tomatoes on top instead of a sauce. 

I use spaghetti squash instead of pasta a lot these days as well. 

If you want ideas for items to buy at the store, let me know... I can tell you the things that I personally keep in my home constantly. 

Make sure that you are drinking enough water as well... I know it is hard when you live in the land of Chickory coffee ( Oh, how I LOVE Cafe DuMonde and those beignets and coffee), but getting enough water is key in weight loss. 

Are you working out at all? If so, what are you doing? How often? 

Also, if you post a day's worth of food, I can take a peek and offer suggestions if necessary as sometimes an extra set of eyes helps. 

You can do this! Let me know if I can help you!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Welcome to the group!

I've lost my weight through eating clean, but I also have a list of tips that might be able to help you.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)