Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

1,500 Calories A Day?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I am thinking of doing like a three day kick off to my diet by eating 1,500 each day. I was wondering if this sounded too extreme or if it sounds okay?

I am 5'10 weigh 203 as of tonight, and work out about 45 minutes 6 days a week (Insanity Workouts), oh and I am EBF my 6 month old son.

I had found a simple 1,000 a day calorie diet, and wanted to follow that but knowing the 1,000 calories would be way to low for me I'm going to add in snacks and such to make it the 1,500.

Like I said it's only yhe three days and just kinda a get the ball rolling type of thing? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

If you're nursing and doing Insanity, that's nowhere near enough.  I am 5'4" 169lbs and I eat more than that at rest. (1600) We can do your BMR for you - Claire? Darby? Suzanne?  I don't want to do a BMR if you're nursing, those other ladies are better for the job, lol.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Welcome!  I can do your BMR if you provide me with your age.  I can bet that 1500 calories/day is NOT enough as you're doing hardcore workouts like Insanity plus EBF.  Make sure you're eating enough food to support those things mama!

thefiregoddess
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:25 AM

You need more if you are nursing.

I am a post op lapband patient of 28 months and if I were breast feeding my doctor would drain my band and instruct minimum 16-1800 a day, with exercise.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no! 1500 is going to deplete your supply and put you into starvation mode.. we need your age and  a reminder that you are BFIng. 

I did a BMR for someone that is 5'10", 203, and 28...Here are the stats for that height,weight, and age while EBFing and doing Insanity. 

BMR: 1735+500 ( BFing)=2235

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week ( 6 is for athletes): 2235*1.55=3464

To lose 1 lb per week: 3464-500=2964

Ideal range for that person would be 2235-2964 calories per day while working out and EBF...it will depend on your age as to your range, so once you get us that, we can do it for you. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mom_3.0
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I think since you're bfing it's probably not a great idea , sorry =[

I am not bfing (but I did bf dd until she turned 2 , wtg mama!) 

Currently, I am 5'3 and weighed 227, now down to 219  as of Saturday - I calcluated that I need 3500 cals a day to MAINTAIN my weight, and cutting 500 a day = 1 lb a week loss, so for me going to 1500 cals a day is cutting out a whopping 2000 cals a day! That's like 3-4 lbs a week. (hopefully) 

I wouldn't follow any sort of "diet". it;s just my opinion that any diet with a name isnt going to produce lifelong results. There has to be a lifestyle change that's permanent . The 3 day thing... I could only see that as useful if you're using it to teach yourself discipline, which may be great!

what I do is find ways to make three meals under 500 cals, and that's ALL I eat and water in between. I make the food taste GOOD with natural flavors , and it does make me full. If I feel hungry I literally ignore it until it goes away. After a few weeks I expect my stomach to physically shrink down to accomodate the smaller portions that I'm eating. I

GL!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I agree that 1500 calories is way too low.  Even a person at their ideal weight is recommended to NEVER go below 1800 calories a day while breastfeeding.  Breastfeeding alone requires an additional 500 calories a day.  Eating at least your BMR will help keep your supply up, keep you energized, keep your metabolism humming along, and keep you healthy.  If you can post your age and how much you work out, we can give you a safe calorie range that will help you lose 1-2 lbs per week.

What is your long term weight loss plan?

Many of us eat clean, which has helped me lose over 100 lbs so far.  You can click here to read the basics.  You would do better to find an eating plan that you can stick with for life.  Make changes that you can live with every day, rather than doing something dramatic that will shock your body into holding on to every single calorie that passes your lips.  Weight loss is about more than the simple calories in/calories out.  If you don't give your body the fuel it requires, it starts shutting down normal processes in order to conserve calories.  This is known as starvation mode.  Your supply would likely be one of the first things to go.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

calculate if that's enough for you for weight loss by going here - make sure you read everything and click on all the links to get your final calculation.

1500/day may be too little esp if you're doing insanity.  when i was doing that program, i was eating more like 1800/day because ytou litereally burn through everything you eat because of the program's intensity.

Aurora-Dove
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I do between 1310 and 1720 calories a day based on what spark Pete suggested for me. I am 5'1 and started out at 241m I'm now at 215
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ama1987
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I'm 25 so I'm pretty sure this would be the same for me or at least really close.

Almost 3,000 calories is just so much when trying to eat healthy. I've been trying to do a lot more veggies and fruit and am not hitting any where near that. I have been losing weight, about 6lbs in the past month or so. I've cut out most soda, fast food, and most desserts.

I just kinda want the structure of following a diet I guess, especially with Thanksgiving on Thursday. I have a hard time remembering to eat sometimes, and then eat a lot of my calories at 1 or 2 meals, which I know isn't healthy.

The "diet" that I was thinking of following is one where you do it 3 days then off 4 days eating kinda what you want and then back to 3 days on it and 4 off, then taking a bit of a break. It's more to be used as a starter not really a lifestyle.

Like for breakfast it's supposed to be 1/2 a grapefruit, slice of toast, 2 tbs peanut butter and you can have tea or coffee, lunch is 1/2 cup tuna, and a slice of bread, dinner is 3oz of meat, 1 cup green beans, 1/2 banana,small apple, and 1 cup vanilla ice cream. So I was going to add in broccoli with luch, a green smoothie after I did my workout, and probably another snack of like a boiled egg or more fruit and veggies. Day 2 and 3 are a little different but it's basically 1,100 calories set out, which is why I'd be adding the 500 or so more calories.

But if I'm to have almost 3,000 a day to lose a lb a week, then I'd lose like more then a lb in just those 3 days. 

I can see where I want to be sure I am eating enough to keep my supply up, just don't find much structure in 3,000 calories and if I were to just be eating healthy I think I would get sick eating that many veggies and fruits! Lol

Hubby and I are trying to eat raw fruits and veggies only for one day a week, vegan one day a week, 4 days of eating vegetarian adding in fish maybe 2 of those 4, and then 1 day a week having meat. We've also been trying to cut out all the processed snacks and such too.

So I guess a question I have is what can I be eating that is still good fuel for my body that will get me to the near 3,000 calories a day?

And is it still considered healthy to lose like 2-3 lbs in a week? I do want to lose the weight I need to in a healthy a way, and I don't want to damage my supply, but I also want to stick to a pretty drastic lifes style change, DH and I really want to transition into being vegetarian to then vegan.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh no! 1500 is going to deplete your supply and put you into starvation mode.. we need your age and  a reminder that you are BFIng. 

I did a BMR for someone that is 5'10", 203, and 28...Here are the stats for that height,weight, and age while EBFing and doing Insanity. 

BMR: 1735+500 ( BFing)=2235

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week ( 6 is for athletes): 2235*1.55=3464

To lose 1 lb per week: 3464-500=2964

Ideal range for that person would be 2235-2964 calories per day while working out and EBF...it will depend on your age as to your range, so once you get us that, we can do it for you. 

MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Peanutbutter, avocados, olive oil, lots of nuts, anything nut, LOL - all good ways to get your calories up as much as you can. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)