Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How did you get started running?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 23 Replies

I want to start running.  I am 5'1 and 135 lbs.  I will be 35 in January and would like to be healthier and love the idea of running and feeling free.  My problem is, how do I start?  If I try to run for 1 minute (don't laugh), I feel winded.  I also have a problem with my feet - my toes tingle and my soles burn....any suggestions?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

couch to 5K app!  it's such an awesome app.  avail for android and iphone and you just follow the cues.  it'll tell you when to run and when to walk.  when you run, run at a pace where you can still talk; don't go all out running full throttle.  you have to build your endurance up first and then speed will follow later.

make sure you also dress for the weather!  being comfortable during a run is important as it will help you run better/longer.  and appropriate shoes are a must!

jeepninja
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

thanks

mommymeade
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Find a partner....you can keep eachother motivated.  COuch to 5K program is great as well! Just set a routine run for 1 min walk for 3 min this week for  3 days, next week try to run more.

As far as your feet what kind of shoes are you running in? are they new? have you had a foot analysis done.

jeepninja
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I have tried various running shoes.  I was tested to confirm that I am not diabetic (tingling toes is one of the symptoms) and I'm not.  My shoe size is a womens 5 (really a 2-3 in kids). I have gone to a few shoe stores that do tests on your feet to find the best comfort but because my feet are so small, it doesn't register on the machines correctly.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have wide feet?  I've had those issues, and I had to get wider shoes.  It made a world of difference. 

I was 250 lbs when I started running.  C25K was too intense for me.  So I did my own modified program.  I would run a block, walk a block, in a loop around my neighborhood (turned out to be about 1.7 miles, which took me 30 minutes at the time)  Once I was able to do that the whole way, I started running 2 blocks, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Then I tried running as much as I could, and I ran the first 3/4 of the loop!  Eventually, I started adding distance, following the 10% rule, and I kept in short walking intervals.  Now it's been 2 years, and I've run 9 miles nonstop, run a couple of half-marathons, and did a 16 mile trail run!  You can do it!!

You should also check out the Running Moms group.  It's not as active as this group, but there are a variety of mamas in there at different levels, and lots of encouragement.

If you have a smartphone, you can use RunKeeper or MapMyRun (both free apps!!) to track your runs.  They both have free websites as well.

Keep us posted as to how things are going!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jeepninja
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Thanks ladies for your replys.  I'll check out the recommended apps and group.

valdezmama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Your response was VERY INSPIRATIONAL to me!! I feel like a runner trapped in a non-runners body sometimes and I feel like running may be a good exercise to get myself in shape :-) thanks!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Do you have wide feet?  I've had those issues, and I had to get wider shoes.  It made a world of difference. 

I was 250 lbs when I started running.  C25K was too intense for me.  So I did my own modified program.  I would run a block, walk a block, in a loop around my neighborhood (turned out to be about 1.7 miles, which took me 30 minutes at the time)  Once I was able to do that the whole way, I started running 2 blocks, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Then I tried running as much as I could, and I ran the first 3/4 of the loop!  Eventually, I started adding distance, following the 10% rule, and I kept in short walking intervals.  Now it's been 2 years, and I've run 9 miles nonstop, run a couple of half-marathons, and did a 16 mile trail run!  You can do it!!

You should also check out the Running Moms group.  It's not as active as this group, but there are a variety of mamas in there at different levels, and lots of encouragement.

If you have a smartphone, you can use RunKeeper or MapMyRun (both free apps!!) to track your runs.  They both have free websites as well.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Aw, thanks!  I know the feeling!!  I had SO many excuses NOT to run, too, and totally had to overcome them.  I occasionally STILL feel like a runner in a non-runner's body, especially when I have those runs where I am struggling the whole time (still happens!).  But I wanted those runner's calves!  LOL  I have them now!  =)  Oh, and I'm down in the 160s now!

Quoting valdezmama:

Your response was VERY INSPIRATIONAL to me!! I feel like a runner trapped in a non-runners body sometimes and I feel like running may be a good exercise to get myself in shape :-) thanks!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jeepninja
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That's fantastic!

valdezmama
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Uh oh... now Ive gone and done it...

I downloaded C25K

(pray for me lol)

Quoting musicpisces:

Aw, thanks!  I know the feeling!!  I had SO many excuses NOT to run, too, and totally had to overcome them.  I occasionally STILL feel like a runner in a non-runner's body, especially when I have those runs where I am struggling the whole time (still happens!).  But I wanted those runner's calves!  LOL  I have them now!  =)  Oh, and I'm down in the 160s now!

Quoting valdezmama:

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN