Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Hello i am new, with a few questions!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey Ladies i am new to the group!  My name is Asia,I have 4 DDs and expecting my 1st DS in January! I will not be dieting till after I have my son of course lol.  Well my question is when is it ok to start dieting? Do i need to wait till after 6wks or longer? I do plan on breastfeeding.  I would like to lose weight while breastfeeding and just eating healthier.  Is it ok to diet and breastfeed?  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, Asia!  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  You can get a jump-start on getting to a healthy weight by keeping your weight gain within your provider's guidelines, and working on developing healthy habits now.  Start increasing your veggies, switch to whole grains, drink only water and plenty of it, etc.  Start cutting back (or eliminate) sugars and refined grains.  Eat small frequent meals (ideal for pregnancy, when your stomach is all squished from that baby!).  These are habits you can start NOW so that you can have a head start and focus on the stuff you can't do while pregnant.

What is your plan for weight loss?  Are you active now?

I eat clean, which is very safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Just be sure to eat enough to ensure a healthy milk supply.

Many mamas find success by tracking their calories using apps and websites like MyFitnessPal, SparkPeople or LiveStrong.  Don't use the calories they give you, though.  We can calculate your calories when you get to that point if you'll post your height, weight, age, and how much you work out, and remind us that your breastfeeding.

You require an additional 500 calories a day while breastfeeding, which isn't as many as it seems (considering a pastry at Starbucks runs about 400 calories!).  During your third trimester, you need an additional 450 calories or so.  It's a misnomer that you are "eating for two", considering you're eating for an adult and a football with a stomach the size of a marble at birth.

If you're not already active, you can generally walk and swim now (with your doc's approval) without risking your baby.  I did those, weight trained, and rode my bike through most of my pregnancy (had to stop biking at 34 weeks because my knees were way out to the sides! LOL).

I hope that gives you some ideas!  I also have a journal with some basic weight loss tips.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

emilyrosenj
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM

You can start eating healthy now.  The less weight you gain, the less you will have to lose after the baby.  Also, it's good for the baby!! 

BelindaDuvessa
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Congratulations!  I currently track my calories, and have been diligently, since the first of September.  Since I started tracking, I've only gained 1-2 pounds since then.  I didn't up my calories a little bit more than what is recommended above, but I also usually eat way less than what I am allotted.

The point is, it is very easy to establish good habits now, that will carry on after you have baby.  I'm 33 weeks now, and am hoping to only gain another couple of pounds before I give birth.

nikkib01
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM
My suggestion about breastfeeding & dieting would be to make sure you keep your calories up. I have been BFing my DS since January and am still steady losing weight. I tried to cut my calories before though and noticed an almost immediate drop in my supply. So keep your calories up but make sure they are full or fruits & veggies. And drink lots of water!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)