Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Weight gain in pregnancy

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey ladies!

I found out today that I am 5 wks pregnant! :) i am so excited and nervous right now, wishing everything goes well this time. I lost 16 pounds in past few months by exercising and eating clean. I am pretty happy with my body right now but too scared to gain all that weight again!

I am 5.2 and weigh 134 pounds right now and aim to eat about 1500 cals a day.  What do you think about my calorie intake? When and how should I increase it? My doc has advised me to not to exercise till first trimester gets over ( I had a miscarriage earlier this yr, so he wants to be cautious) would love to hear about your healthy eating habits and weight gain in pregnancy.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My midwife informed me to not calorie count and to just listen to my body. On the flip side, even with my history of miscarriages, I am allowed to workout. I have chosen not to workout until closer to twelve weeks though and even then it will be very tame compared to what I'm used to.

Basically listen to your body. If you're hungey you need to eat. And keep yourself hydrated! That's all I'm doing this time around and excersise will be added in in a couple weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

The general rules for calories during pregnancy are:

No additional calories during the first trimester

300 additional calories during the second trimester

450 additional calories during the third trimester

500 additional calories while breastfeeding

These are not cumulative, of course!  =)

In general, exercise is fine, but of course, follow the advice of your doctor.  Unfortunately, if a miscarriage is going to happen, even bedrest can't stop it (there has been more recent evidence of this).  Walking and swimming are generally safe, and there are tons of DVDs specifically designed for pregnant women.  I lifted weights and rode my bike in addition to walking and swimming while I was pregnant.  I kept my gain to a minimum, but I was also very heavy to begin with.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  =)  Sending positive thoughts for everything to be healthy for you!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Ngm82
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Thank you. i feel hungry every 2 hrs, which is great coz it keeps the metabolosim goin. i may also add some exercise in a few wks till then i'm taking things slow. thank you for your words, i wish we both sail thro well in the respective pregnancies and have beautiful, healthy babies. all the best and take care :)

Quoting ballerina.2006:

My midwife informed me to not calorie count and to just listen to my body. On the flip side, even with my history of miscarriages, I am allowed to workout. I have chosen not to workout until closer to twelve weeks though and even then it will be very tame compared to what I'm used to.

Basically listen to your body. If you're hungey you need to eat. And keep yourself hydrated! That's all I'm doing this time around and excersise will be added in in a couple weeks.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ngm82
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Thank you! i think i'l stick to eating clean and eat frequent meals. I may start exercising in a few wks, right now i feel too tired and dizzy very quickly. i read somewhere that one needs more protiens in the second trimester, so may be an egg sandwich/wrap could be my extra 300 cals from the nxt trimester :)
thank u again! happy thanksgiving!

Quoting musicpisces:

In general, exercise is fine, but of course, follow the advice of your doctor.  Unfortunately, if a miscarriage is going to happen, even bedrest can't stop it (there has been more recent evidence of this).  Walking and swimming are generally safe, and there are tons of DVDs specifically designed for pregnant women.  I lifted weights and rode my bike in addition to walking and swimming while I was pregnant.  I kept my gain to a minimum, but I was also very heavy to begin with.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  =)  Sending positive thoughts for everything to be healthy for you!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you're doing everything right.  You can exchange some carbs for protein if you want to.  Eating clean is definitely a great way to go while pregnant (I eat clean too)!  Do what you can- I know these early weeks are rough!  I managed to work out, but I got VERY dizzy and kept having to stop.  Listen to your body, and once the initial fatigue wears off, it'll be easier to get moving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quoting Ngm82:

Thank you! i think i'l stick to eating clean and eat frequent meals. I may start exercising in a few wks, right now i feel too tired and dizzy very quickly. i read somewhere that one needs more protiens in the second trimester, so may be an egg sandwich/wrap could be my extra 300 cals from the nxt trimester :)
thank u again! happy thanksgiving!

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats and good luck mama!

nlonnon
by Tasha on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations! Suz has great advice- as always!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Ngm82
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Congrats and good luck mama!

ThaNk you! :)

Ngm82
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Congratulations! Suz has great advice- as always!

I agree. Thank you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)