Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

is this realistic?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM
  • 16 Replies
I.started at 227, a month later weighed 219 by just watching what I eat & walking . Oveer a week ago I started really seriously. I eat only healthy foods and stay at around 1000-1200 calories a day. I only eat when I am physicallyhungry, control my portions and again eat goood foods. Lean meats, plenty of veggies, fruit, whole wheat bread instead of white. A lot more water. & exercisig almost every day. I figured through calculations that I can lose about 3 lbs a week this way. If I honestly stick to this (which I have!) Is this realistic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM
When you have more to lose, you can lose 3lbs per week.
Just remember that your loss can slow down so do not expect that much loss for long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_3.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

ok thanks, makes me feel better. I'm trying to slowly get my body into better shape so that I can handle these workouts better. 

Also, Thanksgiving has me so worried. I don't know if it's even possible to keep to my caloric  daily limits with two thanksgiving feasts to attend tomorrow. ;/ one at 1, the other at 6.

Quoting mcginnisc:

When you have more to lose, you can lose 3lbs per week.
Just remember that your loss can slow down so do not expect that much loss for long.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM
I do not worry about holidays much. I indulge and then get back to it.
I will say that your calories are too low. I would suggest that you have your BMR done so you know how many calories you need. I can do it for you. I will need your age,height,weight and the # of days per week you workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_3.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

23, 5'3", 217 lb, work out 5 days per week

thanks!!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

I will say that your calories are too low. I would suggest that you have your BMR done so you know how many calories you need. I can do it for you. I will need your age,height,weight and the # of days per week you workout.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM
BMR: 1786
Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week:1786*1.55=2768
To lose 1 lb per week: 2768-500=2268
Your ideal calorie range is 1786-2268 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week

Quoting mom_3.0:

thanks!!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_3.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM

so, to lose 3 lb each week is too much?

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1786
Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week:1786*1.55=2768
To lose 1 lb per week: 2768-500=2268
Your ideal calorie range is 1786-2268 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week

Quoting mom_3.0:

thanks!!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Yes..
A healthy weight loss is usually 1-2 lbs per week. When you just start out, the loss will be faster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I think that is.  You will hit plateaus, so don't let those get you down.  Just switch up your work out routine or give it a little extra oomph and you'll bust thru.  Remember to give yourself "cheat" days, where you can have a ice cream with the kids or a piece of holiday pie.  You aren't on a diet - you are living a healthier life!  Good luck mama!  I hope to be right behind you!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I agree with Claire.  By eating so few calories now, yes, you'll see some results for now, but then they'll stop, and you'll have slowed your metabolism to a halt, which will slow further results, just setting you back.  Stick with the calorie range she gave you, have her (or one of us) recalculate as you drop the pounds, and you'll do much better in the long run.

Be aware that weight loss slows as you get closer to your goal, too.  Just something to keep in mind.

Also, no cheat DAYS, like one poster suggested.  An entire day can undo a week's hard work.  Go easy on the portions over the holidays, don't get crazy, and load up on the veggies.  A cheat meal here and there is okay, but entire days can be detrimental to your results.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:53 AM

I agree with Suzanne and Claire...they have all the great advice!  Good luck mama...you can do this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)