Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What made you....just start?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

I feel ready to start a life transformation. I no longer want to be this unhealthy... I want to feel like a sexy beast, I want to dress nicely. I am just ready. I somewhat "know" what I need to do to lose weight...I am motivated and excited...but cannot get myself to just START!

I am 5'7 & 277 lbs... I want to lose 100 lbs worth of fat and gain muscle!

Help me start!

PLEASE and THANK YOU!

My kiddos and I

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceLoveM
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM

You can do it! :) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:49 AM

You can definitely do this mama!  You sound like you have a great attitude all the motivation needed!  Doing this for YOU is so important!  I would suggest tracking calories to begin with...journal what you eat and you can see better how much you're putting in your body each day.  There are some great sites for free you can use to track your food.  A lot of us here use MyFitnessPal, and others use SparkPeople.com.  Fill your diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein.  You can do this mama!

nlonnon
by Tasha on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Welcome! I started when my doctor wanted to put me on BP medsand I was only 27. Not cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Welcome to the group!! I personally started when I saw a picture of myself.. and also a friend I'd grown up with was losing weight and looked great. It was just the kick start I needed. Now I count calories, run, and exercise. :-) Counting calories helped see how big my portions really were and how I was getting so much more than I needed.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:02 AM

We cannot give you motivation honey.. 

Motivation HAS to come from within YOU. We cannot give you that. I can give you the tools to lose the weight and be healthy, but I cannot give you the drive or determination to do so. You have to find the place inside you that will make you do it. WHY do you want to lose weight? Have you written it down? 

Writing down why you want to lose weight, can be a great motivator. Write it down, regardless of how mundane a reason you think it may be and make multiple copies. Put them everywhere you look throughout the day, so the lists are visible to you and make you think daily about what you are eating, drinking and if you are working out or not. 

Also, if you try using www.myfitnesspal.com, there is a great support system there as well as in here. We are happy to cheer you on. Set small goals along the way, so that you don't get sidetracked or discouraged by larger goals. Rewarding yourself when you hit mini goals are a great motivator as well. 

Believe in yourself. If you think like you are defeated, you will be defeated before you even begin. You can do this! I believe in you- now, YOU have to believe in YOU! 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

jen2150
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM

My motivation comes from within but my inspiration started with my children and my karate instructor.  It all started when my son wanted to take karate.  We ended up somewhere that encouraged parents to join their kids.  The classes were going to cost the same whether I joined or not.  The instructor keep telling how great I was going to be that I couldn't say no.  I have never heard someone encourage me so much.  It felt so good.  There were so many times I wanted to quit but I couldn't.  My kids were watching I refused to be that kind of example.  My son told me I could quit if I wanted to.  I am so glad I didn't.  I just got invited to do team sparring and I absolutely love it.  I started karate a litlle over a year ago and I can't believe the transformation that has taken place.  I have lost about 30 pounds so far but that hasn't been the biggest transformation.  The biggest transformation has been on the inside.  My confidence, self respect, and self esteem has gone up incredibly.  I am learning how to encourage myself and think positively.  It hard to think negatively when you are around such positive people.  I am setting goals and reaching them.  My depression is gone and I feel like I can do anything.  I highly recommend you read Against all odds by Chuck Norris.  It is an awesome book on reaching your full potential and unleashing your inner strength.  Good luck in your journey!  Your are beautiful and going to be great.

romalove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Look at your kids and know that they love, want, and need you around for as long a time as possible.

Know that this will be a journey, you have a goal, your destination, and there will be bumps along the way.  Those bumps are part of the journey and not ends to the journey.  Acknowledge them and move past them.

Eat healthy and move.  Be good to yourself and patient with yourself.  I stopped eating most carbs, but I allow them sometimes in order to maintain the eating plan.  Today is Thanksgiving and rather than live in deprivation I am allowing myself to eat what I like, knowing tomorrow I will eat my healthy way again.

You CAN do this, and look here for support.  Lots of great mamas.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Claire- write out what motivates YOU, because it's SO individual.  I had to hit rock bottom to start.  I was 29, and my blood pressure was getting high, I was 269 lbs (at 5'4"), and went on a ski trip where I couldn't even get through one run without wanting to throw up, and had to stop skiing after 3 runs.

When you sit down to write stuff out, think about all the stuff you're sick of.  Write that down, too.  What are you sick of?  Avoiding cameras?  Getting winded?  For me, it was those, not fitting down the slide at the playground, worrying about weight limits, worrying about outgrowing Lane Bryant... Yeah, there was a lot I was tired of!  I wanted more for my life!  I wanted more for my SON.

Now I'm hanging around the 160s, and I plan to eventually get down into the 130s. 

YOU CAN DO THIS.  I know how it feels to have a 3 digit goal, but it really CAN be done.

I have some journals on here with details about my journey, what's working for me, and some general tips, and I'll post them below:

Clean Eating

What's working for me

Weight loss tips

These might give you some ideas.

Good luck!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

for me-  I had lost the wieght once before and swore I'd NEVER get fat again-well, due to life situations and giving up-I did...I gained back everything plus about 20-25 more   and shopping for clothes was soemthing that had become so frustrating and depressing that it brought me to tears more than once. I had just decided I'd had ENOUGH and wanted to lose it again FOR GOOD.  

All I can say is when you are there-you'll know, and nothing will stop you.

Start with baby steps-make small goals- little things you can acheive that will keep you going regardless of what the scale says -like drinking so much water every day, or working out for a certain amount of time every day or something like that

Good luck :)

BelindaDuvessa
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I'm going to end up rambling some here....

What helped me to get motivated, was actually the program I got on.  I had the want, but no real motivation to lose any weight.  But I did start looking up dieting sites and found Sparkpeople.com.  There's tons of free sites out there, but Sparkpeople walks you through how to change your mindset about dieting, food, and weight loss in general.  While now I log my calories and fitness on another website (MyFitnessPal), I still go to Sparkpeople daily.  They have tons of resources to help you on your journey, as well as other things including finances.  They have a free budgeting website to help you learn to budget your money.  For someone starting out, I highly recommend this site.

When I first started this journey in 2010, I was 162 pounds.  My normal weight range is 100-130 roughly, so I was 32 pounds away from a normal weight.  I joined Sparkpeople and through mostly just watching my portions and exercising (no real calorie counting), I managed to get down to 128 in a year.  Slow going, but I wasn't looking for miracles either.  Then I found out I was pregnant.  After I had her, I was back up into the 150's with no motivation to lose it.  Finally, April of this year, I decided to get started again.  I lost almost 10 pounds, but by July, I found out I was pregnant again.  September this year I started logging my calories, in an attempt to limit my weight gain to just baby weight.  Since then, I have gained 3 pounds.  I had an OB/GYN appointment yesterday and had only gained 1 pounds the previous 2 weeks.  I already have a plan in place for starting my journey back after I have this one, which will be my last.  No more excuses not to get into shape.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)