Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have been lurking and I am ready to start

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have gained a lot of weight over the last two years. I worked so hard to lose it to begin with. It frustrates me that in my 14 years as an adult, I've never spent more than 2 years at the same weight. It's up, it's down and I'm tired of it!!

Everytime I lose weight, I always have something to look forward to. 1st it was keeping my first husband. I gained 65 pounds with dd11. He was drifting away and I thought it was me. So I slammed those 65 lbs plus some. Down the drain in 8 months. Not in a healthy way. I stayed thin for a couple of years, went through another pregnancy and a divorce gaining back all 65 lbs. 2 years later, I meet DH and have a wedding to plan. In a year, I slammed those 65 lbs. for the last two years, it's slowly creeping back on. I've managed to gain 30 lbs and honestly it could be 40lbs because I am terrified to get on the scale.

I posted on here not long ago that I needed to lose the 20lbs I had gained since I got married. But instead I've put on an extra 10 maybe more.
In all the attempts I've made to lose weight, it's always been for something or someone else. Now I want to do it for me. I'm tired of this. I am 32 years old and I feel 42 maybe even 52. My legs hurt. My hips hurt. And my clothes don't fit right. I'm done. But I feel at a loss. I love food and every single day I have this guilt of what I am putting in my mouth but I say, well tomorrow I'll start over. And tomorrow leads to another lunch date at the Mexican restaurant with chips and queso and tortillas.

Where in the world do I start? This is my journey for me. Once and for all. I want to kick this life style and be a better me. Not for anyone else but me. (And maybe my hips since they are crying for relief!!)

My goal would be to start with losing the 10lbs I gained. Ultimately I'd like to be back down to 140. My body was happy there. I was happy there. That's 'only' 25lbs.

ETA: if I could get some good tips on how to curb my hunger that would be fantastic. I know the first few weeks are going to be hard because I always feel like I'm starving even if I should not be. I just told dh, we are about to change how we eat, so ear up cause tomorrow I'm going to the grocery store... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tristahope
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I need to do the same. I have gained some major weight over the last two years just like you. I have also went threw one divorce and now remarried. I have always seemed to have lost weight for someone else too instread of doing it for my self. I have never been this big in my entire life. I hate going to buy clothes because I hate having to go to the plus size area. When I use to be a size small. My hips and back kill me and I am only 28 years old I feel like I am 50 years old. I mean it is sad my granny is in better shape than I am in. I have a child that I would love to play with a lot more than I do but I just do not feel like doing it anymore. i need  to lose like 63 lbs but I will start with at least a 10-20lb  goal for now and work my way up from there.

So glad that I am not the only one out here that feels like I do.

What did you do the first time you lost weight?

momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Honestly? I can't remember. Lol I starved myself mostly and I know that is not healthy. I did crazy Wack diets that obviously worked but not long term. I did not change my habits at all. I curbed them temporarily and now I feel like I have been on a two year binge. I'm hoping to get some good ideas because I want this to stick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmother5946
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:16 AM
I figure that I need to lose about 80lbs to get to where I want to be. 180 would be my goal weight. I'm 5"10 and 53. I lost all my post baby weight after dd (13) was born. Then I went into menopause (at 40) and my thyroid took a nosedive too. My ex wasn't much help in the weight gain department either. Constant criticism.
So now I'm going to the YMCA three times a week. I need to lose at least 20 lbs by April for
spring skiing. I live in Hawaii and would love to get into smaller clothes too. At least to get down to a 16. I want to be more active and be able to hike and not get winded going uphill.
Also if I lose weight it may inspire my dd to lose more.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome mamas!  Glad you are all here:)  I would start out by looking at your diet...what are  you eating?  What kinds of foods are you eating?  Veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein should be the bulk of your diet.  Each time you eat, make sure you're eating protein and/or fiber which will keep you full for longer:)  Drink LOTS of water!  Find something you enjoy doing and turn it into exercise...you can do this ladies!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning! 

I count my calories. I have found that it keeps me accountable and it is an effective way to lose weight. Many of us in here use www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, or www.livestrong.com. If you are interested in trying it, I can do your BMR for you. I would need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you plan on working out. 

Concentrate on eating healthy. 

Lean proteins: chicken, turkey, seafood, limited beef and pork, eggs

Whole grains: ( if you decide to consume them) breads, tortillas, pastas, brown rice, beans ( a carb), barley, lentils, oats, and cereal

Dairy ( if you choose to consume it)- I eat a mixutre of low fat and full fat items

Healthy fats: coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, butter, avocado, nuts, nut butters

Produce: fresh and frozen ( avoid canned)

Water: take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz you should drink daily. 

Exercise: Find something that you enjoy and it will be easier to stick with. Some of us are runners, some are cyclists, some go to the gym and many of us use DVDs at home. 

You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Thanks for your support. I will gather that Information and be right back. Lol wish me luck. I need to go pull the scale out. Blah....

Quoting mcginnisc:

Good morning! 

I count my calories. I have found that it keeps me accountable and it is an effective way to lose weight. Many of us in here use www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, or www.livestrong.com. If you are interested in trying it, I can do your BMR for you. I would need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you plan on working out. 

Whole grains: ( if you decide to consume them) breads, tortillas, pastas, brown rice, beans ( a carb), barley, lentils, oats, and cereal

Dairy ( if you choose to consume it)- I eat a mixutre of low fat and full fat items

Water: take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz you should drink daily. 

Exercise: Find something that you enjoy and it will be easier to stick with. Some of us are runners, some are cyclists, some go to the gym and many of us use DVDs at home. 

You can do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egbkeb
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Same here Mama! I too have gained an insane amount of weight in the past two years :( I was pregnant for two years straight pretty much and then went through a heavy depression. I've been trying everything to take off the weight, but my belly ALWAYS looks like I'm at least six months pregnant. I'm begining to think its the paragard IUD I had inserted after my last pregnancy. How did you drop the weight? 

momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Here we go: I've gained 31 lbs since my wedding day in 2010.

Height: 5' 4
Weight......... 169
Activity: let's shoot for 4 days a week.

I haven't been active in a while. I do have a gym membership but I hate going alone. I can walk around my neighborhood better than I can commit to going to the gym every day. And that's just being honest.

I eat crap so I won't go in to what my diet is bc it's been horrible the last few months. Eating out every meal, burgers, Mexican, are my weakness. They make me feel like crap so why do I keep eating it??

I think my first goal is going to cut out bread and white flour. And diet soda. I drink too much of that.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Good morning! 

You can do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM
I probably should make an appointment to see my dr to refill my thyroid. I haven't taken it since August because it is so expensive. But I feel bad without it. So I know I need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM
The first time I did it because I was depressed. I was not eating enough and I was working out a lot. I don't seem to have the will power to starve myself this go around lol

The second time I did it with exercise and counting calories. I know I can do it but I feel scared.

Quoting egbkeb:

Same here Mama! I too have gained an insane amount of weight in the past two years :( I was pregnant for two years straight pretty much and then went through a heavy depression. I've been trying everything to take off the weight, but my belly ALWAYS looks like I'm at least six months pregnant. I'm begining to think its the paragard IUD I had inserted after my last pregnancy. How did you drop the weight? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)