Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I want to lose weight but I am always busy with kids!!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've had 4 kids and I want to lose at least 20 lbs if not a little more. I take care of my kids by my self,, and they are from the ages of 6-6 months. I dont know what to do or how to go about it the right way.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It's difficult to find time with little ones to get some exercise in.  But since you have four and they are all yours all of the time, the best way for you to start would probably be doing activities with them.  My kids love the kid fitness videos from the library - we do them at home together.  Also dancing, playing Wii together (dance games and stuff), soccer at the park with DS, riding bikes (I have a trailer for my toddler, which was expensive so not everyone can, but it is nice to have).  Some days I would stick my kids in the wagon and pull them around the neighborhood.  Even a nighttime walk after dinner is better than nothing and helps them wind down. I live in AZ though, so the weather is nice here now.  I realize most of you live in the cold now so disregard my outside advice in that case, lol. Just do whatever you can. All of it counts. :)

Jace1028
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I have lost 80 pounds since April and I also take care of my two boys 24-7. I work three at home type jobs and drive a daycare van 4 hours a day. Pretty crazy schedule, but obviously very doable. See, weightloss and gain is 80% diet, 20% exercise. I started by making big changes in what I was eating and drinking and the weight just melted off. Now I add ten-fifteen minutes each morning doing cardio (elliptical). I also like to flip on a "quick" workout dvd. Usually takes about 20 minutes.

And drink lots of water!!! Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Do you have a schedule ? Nap time or quiet time ? If not I suggest you to set one ! It helped me out tons. I make sure I stick to it. It allows me to make sure I work out. I have three boys, I know how hard it is good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LveMy2K1dS
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
No excuses first of all! If you want it, you will find time! Even if it means waking up before they get up to excercise or excercising when they go to bed! Plus just eat clean healthy! You can do it!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies have some good advice.  Waking up before they do, working out during nap times, doing activites with them are all good ideas.  Also, as someone already said, what you eat is mega important in losing weight.  Veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein along with little to no processed food!  LOTS of water too!  Good luck mama!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Good morning! 

You have to want it. I know it seems impossible when you have little ones, but, if you *really* want to change your life, you will make every effort to do so. Once you get that motivation/drive, it will seem much easier to accomplish your goals. 

There are plenty of ways to workout at home. You can look up CrossFit workouts for kids, On Demand, Netflix, youtube, hulu, and there are also workout DVDs on the market. Some of them you can use with kids...put on the radio and dance with them! Do pushups with them on your back...do bicep curls holding a child, have a race with them to see who can do the most situps, pushups, or jumping jacks...there are sooo many possibilities. 

Your diet is #1 though. Make sure it is incorporating lean proteins, tons of fruits and veggies, and tons of water. If you choose to eat grains, make them whole grain and dairy is a personal choice. 

You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Tress1986
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I have 4 kids as well.. I did zumba 3 times a week insanity 6 times a week and run a mile after zumba. I get help from my husband when it comes to zumba the first two days and drop off the kidzs at child care at the gym on the third day. Insanity I get done at home while my youngest is down for his nap my oldest is in school and my other two boys are playing in their room. I noticed if I get a routine down and do things at the same time it makes it more likly to stick with it and the kids know its time for mommy to workout so they have no problem playing in their room. My youngest is 10 months but he didnt sleep through the night til he was 7 months thats when I started working out. I tried when he was younger but I was too exhausted. Good luck! Start out small and work your way up thats what I did! Also if it isnt super cold yet where you live go on walks with your 3 younger ones?

ambermario4ever
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Go for walks, get a treadmill or exercise bike. Drink only water and at least eight cups a day. Eat smaller portions at meal times and watch your calorie intake as well. 

Kimmer331
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You sound like me.  I am a single mom of only 1, but I work 2 jobs, and a job from home.  When I'm not working, I am usually trying to keep my daughter busy.  I've had to step back and look at my life and realize that  I haven't been making myself more important, which we as mothers do.  

Someone posted ealier about how bad you want to lose the 20 pounds.  I know I want to, and when I lost my first 100 pounds, there wasn't anything that was stopping me.  My determination was sky high, but then I wasn't a mom either....I was focused on me.  I think when we find that happy medium of taking care of our families as much as ourselves, then we will finally have success.   

I have been stuck on my last 20 pounds for over a year now....super frustrating.  I have every reason in the world to want to accomplish it, but end up sabotaging my best efforts with some poor choices.  I try and exercise every day, at least 60 minutes if I can.  My poor choices come when I am tired at night and find myself mindlessly standing at the pantry door for something....just usually not sure what.  I really am tired of doing this to myself.  

I have been trying to keep a blog about this. If you would like to check it out it's at:  practicallyfitkim.worpress.com.  

Barb10
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I have been working out at night at 9pm after my kids go to bed.I will put one of my fav shows on Netflix and jump on the eliptical for an hr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)