Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Primal lifestyle!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 31 Replies
I'm starting a new journal. My previous attempt to loose weight by watching my calories and fat and keeping my carbs in the recommended ranges in spark and my fitness pal did nothing to help me loose weight. I kept loosing the same 5 lbs over and over.

My brother was here on thanksgiving and looked great. He lost 130 or so pounds by going primal. It's been a year and he has kept it off with little effort. It got me feeling like it was time to try his way.

Day 1 of primal eating was surprisingly easy, my carbs topped out at 100 grams. My second day they topped out at 68. I'm really pleased that its not terribly hard and I'm eating all day. My calories were low yesterday so I've got to increase that. My goal is to keep my carbs at 100 or less, ideally 75 or less.

Now I'm not just eating tons of meat and fat. I have increased my fat intake quite a bit because it was so low, but its still just barely above the daily max for my weight loss goals. My protein has doubled and my intake of healthy, nutrient dense veggies has probably tripled. I feel really good and energetic after just 2 days. I actually lost 2 lbs so far, which I'm sure is only water.

My goal is to log here every day for a while, then at least once a week.
Start weight. 212 11/29/12

210 12/01/12

205 12/7/12
12/21/12, 197
Current weight 1/18/13, 196

Goal weight. 140 by 12/01/13

So to hit my goal I need to loose a lite over a pound a week. I think that's very reasonable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got recipes if you need more meal ideas.  I had carrot cake pancakes this morning that are very filling and delicious!

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I would love recipes, thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've got recipes if you need more meal ideas.  I had carrot cake pancakes this morning that are very filling and delicious!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115445/forums/read/15071346/Paleo_primal_recipes

Quoting norahsmommy:

I would love recipes, thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Christmas countdown banner

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Well today I weighed myself because I'm feeling so much less bloated than just a few days ago. I'm now 208! I've been stuck at 210-212 for several months so this is great! My carbs yesterday topped out at 65. I ate 81 grams of protein. My calories were a tad low at the end of the day so I had three tablespoons of unsweetened peanut butter with cream cheese and unsweetened chocolate mixed in and a little honey drizzled on top. It was divine! Not sure how primal that is but I tried to be good ;).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting norahsmommy:

Well today I weighed myself because I'm feeling so much less bloated than just a few days ago. I'm now 208! I've been stuck at 210-212 for several months so this is great! My carbs yesterday topped out at 65. I ate 81 grams of protein. My calories were a tad low at the end of the day so I had three tablespoons of unsweetened peanut butter with cream cheese and unsweetened chocolate mixed in and a little honey drizzled on top. It was divine! Not sure how primal that is but I tried to be good ;).

That's great!

General rule of thumb, as per Mark Sisson:  80% primal/paleo and 20% not is better than not even trying.  The pb wouldn't be on the primal list of ok foods, but it's such a small amount that it shouldn't have an adverse effect on your diet.  Do you have access to nut butters like cashew or almond butters?

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Can you tell me what this is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
We are really limited on budget and those foods are expensive. In the summer our budget will be less tight. Dh work is seasonal.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

That's great!

General rule of thumb, as per Mark Sisson:  80% primal/paleo and 20% not is better than not even trying.  The pb wouldn't be on the primal list of ok foods, but it's such a small amount that it shouldn't have an adverse effect on your diet.  Do you have access to nut butters like cashew or almond butters?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM

No biggie, and I understand.  You wouldn't believe how tight my budget is when it comes to food.  I just do without or find acceptable substitutes.

Quoting norahsmommy:

We are really limited on budget and those foods are expensive. In the summer our budget will be less tight. Dh work is seasonal.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

That's great!

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Primal is kind of a less strict version of the Paleolithic diet/lifestyle. I'm avoiding grains, eating more protein and fat and much less carbs. Really low carbs aren't neccisary when you are primal or paleo, but I'm trying to loose weight so I want to keep my carbs below 100 grams. There is more to it than this, I'm just highlighting a small portion.

Quoting lillybug222:

Can you tell me what this is?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm really surprised that this morning I woke up thinking about what veggies I wanted with breakfast. I'm thinking kale, mushroom, onion and cauliflower fried 'rice' and some pork.

Quoting michiganmom116:

No biggie, and I understand.  You wouldn't believe how tight my budget is when it comes to food.  I just do without or find acceptable substitutes.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

That's great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)