Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

P.C.O.D. and Losing Weight

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi everybody! My name is Angelica.  I'm turning 26 in February and was diagnosed with P.C.O.D. on August 24, 2012.  I actually diagnosed myself before I got the official diagnosis from my fertility doctor.  DH and I have agreed to put off TTC until I get down to a healthier weight and I get my DL and car (neither of which I have).  I know I need to lose weight for my health.  My heart beats too fast sometimes, I can't run at all, I can't climb a ton of stairs or walk very long distances without having to stop because I'm out of breath and it's horrible on my lower back, knees and ankles.  The only sport I played was volleyball in 10th grade as a gym credit-I didn't get mom's athleticism.  The women in my family also are fat-it's in our genes.   I know I have to lose weight for my health but I find it boring and to be honest hate doing it which I know is going to cause me to end up killing myself later on if I don't get my act together now.  I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't smoke.   I know I need to eat healthier by adhering to the five daily food groups and quit eating crap cooked in butter.  I have a Gold Gym Stride Trainer 380 that I haven't really used since DH bought it for me November 2010.  I was just wondering if you have P.C.O.D. or PCOS how hard was it for you to lose weight and how long did it take. My husband works overseas as a government researcher so I only get to see him once a year but when he's here he exercises with me.   I'm living with my grandmother since I have no transportation of my own and no job skills (I have been in school since September 7, 2008) so right now living with my grandmother since due to my lack of income I can't very well afford to live on my own.  No I do not cook-my grandmother does all that.  We live in the country so there's no sidewalks here to walk on and we've got coyotes, coon, opossum, stray dogs roaming around since we're right next to a state forest.  When I do exercise I do sit-ups, squats, crunches, knee chest exercises, leg air exercises, and bicycle exercises.  I have no balance at all so I can't ride a bike at all.  Been meaning to get a jump rope (though I suck at jump rope) but keep forgetting to do that.  I want a job but most people won't hire you here if you don't have any job skills and no transportation of your own-we have no PT here-except taxis but that is in the town and town is 24 minutes driving away.  I don't have any friends and my family isn't interested in losing weight.  We also have no bikepaths here either so even if I could manage to ride a bike it isn't safe to go biking in the middle of the road.  Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.  Oh we also have no YMCA here. 

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Welcome to the group!  I would start by tracking your food...MyFitnessPal is a great website that is free and easy to use.  Tracking your food would allow you to be more aware of what you're eating and how much you're eating.  Fill your diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein.  You can do this mama!  Hugs!

travelbunny
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Thanks.  I just signed up for MyFitness Pal 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I agree with Darby. Food is 80% of the battle. You cannot out exercise a poor diet no matter what you do. 

Focus on eating lean proteins, tons of produce, whole grains and dairy if you choose, and lots of water. By ditching the processed foods, it will make a huge difference in your health. 

Investing in some workout DVDs might benefit you. They are pretty cheap and can be found at Walmart/ Target and online. You can find them on On Demand, Netflix, and Hulu as well. A lot of us in here use DVDS and have had much success with them. I have done several Beachbody programs, and I'm a runner. I also go to the gym these days. 

MFP is a great resource and many of us are on that site. My SN is mcginnisc1 on MFP if you would like to add me. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

travelbunny
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Hot Chocolate is my weakness.  :(  I drink tons of water already-sometimes 5-6 bottles a day.  I wish I could raise chickens but don't think m grandmother would like chickens in her yard.  Two things I want to do in the future-raise chickens and grow  a vegetable/fruit garden.  We're already raising sheep back home so it's a start.  I remember mom having workout DVDs when I was a kid.  I also plan on starting Ta'i Chi Chun as well-for a stress reliever.   I also eat too much which is a problem. 

Ngm82
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Hi!

I came to know about my p.c.o.s 6 years ago. I have been over weight (20 pounds) almost all my adult life. I didnt really bother to lose weight until feb when I had miscarriage. It was a huge emotional setback for us and my husband and I decided to work on a healthier lifestyle. I was put on Metformin for 4 months.. It is a drug that regulates insulin level in the blood. I had cut out all processed food, sugar, and starchy carbs. I exercised 5-6 days in a week. My aim was to lose 20 pounds in a very healthy way.. Without any fad diets and short cuts. Being on this group has really helped me.. I gathered a lot of relevant information on healthy weight loss, BMR, cooking tips, exercise tips etc. being on myfitnesspal has also been of great help. I lost 18 pounds in 6 months and currently 6 weeks pregnant. I couldnt have been happier being pregnant at my *almost* goal weight! :) hopefully things go well this time and we are blessed with a healthy baby.

I read that you have already started using MFP and like Darby and Claire suggested, home workout dvds are also a great way to start. With P.C.O.S, I wouldnt say its difficult to lose weight but it may be slower. Its all about discipline and forming healthy habits for life. I am sure you can do it.. All the best and take care!

Ps- if you have any que pls dont hesitate to mail me :)

Xox

Neha

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, Angelica!

PCOD will make it more challenging, but not impossible, to lose the weight.  IF you are motivated enough, you can make it happen.

I agree as well- tracking your food can be a great start.  Have you considered helping out in the kitchen more?  It might be a good way to have more control over what you're eating, and teach you how to take care of yourself and when the time comes, your kids.  Will your husband be around once you have children? 

I don't mean to sound mean, but it sounds like you have a lot of excuses that you allow to hold you back.  Have you thought about writing them all out, then writing out how you're going to overcome them?  We ALL have excuses (believe me, I've had my share), but overcoming them is the most empowering thing you can do for yourself.

What are you going to school for?  Can you work while you go to school?

I couldn't run when I started, either.  I was almost 300 lbs when I started my journey.  I had awful back pain, knee pain (arthritis developing in my 20s), high blood pressure, I was too tired, had too big of boobs, all kinds of "reasons" (translation: excuses) not to run.  But one day, I made myself do it (I wanted those runner's calves!!).  I would run a block, walk a block, for 30 minutes, in a loop.  Eventually, I was able to do that for the whole 30 minutes, so I increased it to running 2 blocks, walking one.  Then running 3 blocks, walking one.  Eventually I was able to do the whole thing!  2 years later, I'm able to run 9 miles without stopping, and I've even done a couple of half-marathons, and a 16 mile trail run (that took me 3.5 hours!)!  I'm also around 163 lbs right now, and still slowly losing.

Again, we ALL have our excuses, and I don't mean to call you out to be mean, I mean it in a "tough love" sort of way.  The ONLY way you can do this is by figuring out how to make this work for YOU and YOUR life.  Get real with yourself, and make it happen, mama!

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your weight loss!  That's so exciting!!

I've heard good things about Metformin for PCOS patients.  Might be a realistic option to help things along.  Just remember, OP, it has to be WITH the diet and exercise- it's not a substitute!  =)

Quoting Ngm82:

Hi!

I came to know about my p.c.o.s 6 years ago. I have been over weight (20 pounds) almost all my adult life. I didnt really bother to lose weight until feb when I had miscarriage. It was a huge emotional setback for us and my husband and I decided to work on a healthier lifestyle. I was put on Metformin for 4 months.. It is a drug that regulates insulin level in the blood. I had cut out all processed food, sugar, and starchy carbs. I exercised 5-6 days in a week. My aim was to lose 20 pounds in a very healthy way.. Without any fad diets and short cuts. Being on this group has really helped me.. I gathered a lot of relevant information on healthy weight loss, BMR, cooking tips, exercise tips etc. being on myfitnesspal has also been of great help. I lost 18 pounds in 6 months and currently 6 weeks pregnant. I couldnt have been happier being pregnant at my *almost* goal weight! :) hopefully things go well this time and we are blessed with a healthy baby.

I read that you have already started using MFP and like Darby and Claire suggested, home workout dvds are also a great way to start. With P.C.O.S, I wouldnt say its difficult to lose weight but it may be slower. Its all about discipline and forming healthy habits for life. I am sure you can do it.. All the best and take care!

Ps- if you have any que pls dont hesitate to mail me :)

Xox

Neha

Suzanne

travelbunny
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Angelica!

PCOD will make it more challenging, but not impossible, to lose the weight.  IF you are motivated enough, you can make it happen.

I agree as well- tracking your food can be a great start.  Have you considered helping out in the kitchen more?  It might be a good way to have more control over what you're eating, and teach you how to take care of yourself and when the time comes, your kids.  Will your husband be around once you have children? 

I don't mean to sound mean, but it sounds like you have a lot of excuses that you allow to hold you back.  Have you thought about writing them all out, then writing out how you're going to overcome them?  We ALL have excuses (believe me, I've had my share), but overcoming them is the most empowering thing you can do for yourself.

I couldn't run when I started, either.  I was almost 300 lbs when I started my journey.  I had awful back pain, knee pain (arthritis developing in my 20s), high blood pressure, I was too tired, had too big of boobs, all kinds of "reasons" (translation: excuses) not to run.  But one day, I made myself do it (I wanted those runner's calves!!).  I would run a block, walk a block, for 30 minutes, in a loop.  Eventually, I was able to do that for the whole 30 minutes, so I increased it to running 2 blocks, walking one.  Then running 3 blocks, walking one.  Eventually I was able to do the whole thing!  2 years later, I'm able to run 9 miles without stopping, and I've even done a couple of half-marathons, and a 16 mile trail run (that took me 3.5 hours!)!  I'm also around 163 lbs right now, and still slowly losing.

Again, we ALL have our excuses, and I don't mean to call you out to be mean, I mean it in a "tough love" sort of way.  The ONLY way you can do this is by figuring out how to make this work for YOU and YOUR life.  Get real with yourself, and make it happen, mama!

Good luck!

We may end up living separatley if I manage to get pregnant (depends on my heart-I have to see a cardiologist before my doctor will do anything to get me fixed) which means I'd be raising baby by myself while in school since there are very few schools in OH that DH's boss will approve of.  As for me working in school-not going to happen.  I am horrible at math and I only have one more chance to pass Precollege Mathematics 1 and First-Year English Composition since I failed both classes last year and DH and I believe school comes before work.  I've been considering buying a dog as a companion/running buddy but most places here won't let you have pets so the tricky part will be finding a place near public transportation that will allow pets.   I am also seriously considering getting a membership with the YMCA when I get my car (probably sometime next year) and DL as well.  One class I am interested in taking is Ta'i Chi Ch'un 1 at school for stress reliever.  You're right-I need to eat healthier and quit putting it off like I have been.  I'm not sure my grandmother would like me helping her cook-she doesn't appreciate when I was dishes either.  I have a list of food I plan on purchasing this month (chicken, carrots with low fat ranch dressing, apples, hamburgers, tangerines). 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Quoting travelbunny:

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Angelica!

Good luck!

We may end up living separatley if I manage to get pregnant (depends on my heart-I have to see a cardiologist before my doctor will do anything to get me fixed) which means I'd be raising baby by myself while in school since there are very few schools in OH that DH's boss will approve of.  As for me working in school-not going to happen.  I am horrible at math and I only have one more chance to pass Precollege Mathematics 1 and First-Year English Composition since I failed both classes last year and DH and I believe school comes before work.  I've been considering buying a dog as a companion/running buddy but most places here won't let you have pets so the tricky part will be finding a place near public transportation that will allow pets.   I am also seriously considering getting a membership with the YMCA when I get my car (probably sometime next year) and DL as well.  One class I am interested in taking is Ta'i Chi Ch'un 1 at school for stress reliever.  You're right-I need to eat healthier and quit putting it off like I have been.  I'm not sure my grandmother would like me helping her cook-she doesn't appreciate when I was dishes either.  I have a list of food I plan on purchasing this month (chicken, carrots with low fat ranch dressing, apples, hamburgers, tangerines). 

Maybe, if you have heart trouble and the stress you do, you might be able to qualify for a Canine Companion?  Then you'd be able to take it anywhere, regardless of whether pets are allowed (by law, they can go anywhere).  Might be worth asking your doctor!

Is your husband's boss paying for your school?  Just curious why you say that his approval is needed.

Good luck getting your ducks in a row!  You can do it!  =)

Suzanne

travelbunny
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting travelbunny:

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Angelica!

Good luck!

Maybe, if you have heart trouble and the stress you do, you might be able to qualify for a Canine Companion?  Then you'd be able to take it anywhere, regardless of whether pets are allowed (by law, they can go anywhere).  Might be worth asking your doctor!

Is your husband's boss paying for your school?  Just curious why you say that his approval is needed.

Good luck getting your ducks in a row!  You can do it!  =)

No DH will be paying for my school out of pocket minus what I can get from Federal Pell Grant.  I got denied for SSI so I am filing an appeal (long story) and am right now looking for a job even though I have no job skills.  DH's boss only pays for their employees to go to school.  I don't have  a doctor of my own (minus my fertility doctor) because I have no insurance-I have yet to apply for Medicade which is what was suggested to me when I applied for SSI and can't be on Dh's insurance because of legal issues (another long story).  I haven't thought of a canine companion.  I did some reading on how those are good for PTSD which one thing I've been diagnosed with.  Perhaps I'll look into that again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)