Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New and have some questions.

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi. My name is Sarah. I am 29 years old. Been married 10 years to a great man and we have 2 daughters together ages 10 and 5.I am a sahm and both daughters go to school.

I am 5'2 and at this point and time I weigh 148 lbs. I have gained almost 20 lbs in the past 6 months. I have gained 50lbs since graduating from high school 11 years ago.

I need some motivation and some ideas. I have several health problems that have kept me from losing some weight.

1. I have hashimotos. It is an autoimmune disease that causes hypothyroid. Eventually my thyroid will die. I will forever be on thyroid medications. It is checked avery 6 months or more often if I feel like I am faving issues with it.

2. I have back and neck problems. So I can't do anything like sit ups or crunches or really anything that requires major use of my back.

3. I have fibromyalgia, so some days I feel ok and other days I can barely get out of bed because of the pain.

4. I suffer from depression. I am on medications for it but just like the fibro, some days I feel ok and others I have major motivational issues.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to loose some weight? Having a schedule really doesn't work because some days I can do more than others. I am not one of those sahm mom types that eats all day just because I'm home. I don't really think I eat to much. I eat lunch and supper and maybe a snack. I can't eat breakfast. If I do I will be sick all day. I have to be awake for a few hours before I can eat.

I will admit that my biggest problem is motivation and that I just don't know what to do. If I over do it I will be in a lot of pain for a few days. Doing ab work is almost impossible because it requires back work too. Some yoga is ok but it doesn't really feel like it is doing me any good.

Thanks. I hope that someone can help.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aprilsalcro
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Welcome to the group ! Motivation comes with in mama. You need to push yourself to workout. Write a list on why you want to lose the weight. Do you have a new or old outfit you want to get in to. Set small goals and have little rewards as you reach them. Get the family involved. I know my 6 and four year old love working out with mama. My 10 month old loves walks. Do you eat fruits and veggies ? Do you drink a lot of soda ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I think starting tracking your food might be a big help.  Are you able to go for daily walks?  I have these DVDs but I do the low back/hip one but maybe the other would be good for you?  Just an idea :)

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I would also look for exercises that can be done sitting down. I started this way and worked my way up to standing and exercising.  I don't have any permanent issues but because of my weight, my back would always give me problems.

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, instead of focusing on what you can't do, make a list of the activities you CAN do like walking and such.  You can have a schedule and just adjust it as you need to.

bunnywzrd
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I drink about 24 oz of soda a day. I have managed to cut it back to there and can't seem to do less. I like it to much. I do eat fruits and a few veggies. I got rid of my old clothes because it just hurt my feelings to much to see them in my dresser. LOL

Quoting aprilsalcro:

Welcome to the group ! Motivation comes with in mama. You need to push yourself to workout. Write a list on why you want to lose the weight. Do you have a new or old outfit you want to get in to. Set small goals and have little rewards as you reach them. Get the family involved. I know my 6 and four year old love working out with mama. My 10 month old loves walks. Do you eat fruits and veggies ? Do you drink a lot of soda ?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Welcome to the group mama!  I would start out by making a list of why you want to get healthy and lose weight.  Take that list with you everywhere you go and remind yourself of it throughout the day.  Motivation has to come from within you and I'm confident you'll get there!  With exercise, start out small...walks, bike riding, etc. and work your way up.  You can do this mama!  Hugs and good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Welcome, mama!

Keep cutting back on the soda. I know it's tough! You'll be glad you did it, though.

I would focus mostly on diet for now. Diet is about 80% of the battle, so by focusing on that, you can make some major changes, and that won't be too affected by how each day is. You'll find over time what works for you, and what kinds of easy and quick foods you can throw together on those days when the pain is too much for actual cooking.

I agree that writing the types of exercise you CAN do most days is a very good place to start on the fitness. Swimming is generally a good option if you have access to a pool. Walking and biking are also good low impact activities.

You may find that improving your diet and exercising regularly can help with the depression. I've struggled with pretty bad depression over the years, and I've been doing better with it with an improved diet and regular exercise. I know it's that much harder to be motivated when you're having one of those low periods, but I find I have fewer of them now, and they're not as low as they used to be.

Stay on the meds for the Hashimotos, of course. A slow thyroid can make it more challenging, but not impossible, to lose weight.

You can do this!! Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)