Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap meals for two?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

My grocery budget got cut in half do to the holidays. I need some ideas for healthy and cheap meals for two. Please post some recipes! Thank you. :)

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frecklesthehen
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

i dont know if its really healthy or not, but they make like whole grain pasta, like spagetti, and its isnt too terribly expensive. and im sure there has to be some kind of healthy premade sauce out there. or you can make your own sauce, again gotta be a recipe out there somewhere.

spagetti is about the cheapest thing i can come up with.

ariesmom20
by Nikki on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i bought a whole chicken and crockpot it. took half the meal for chicken enchalatas and chicken chili and it was more than enough for my family of 6

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Eggs are the best cheap meal in my humble opinion  :)  Cheap side to go with eggs would be roasted potatoes and onions. 

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Stretch the meat from a whole chicken into 4 meals...soups, casseroles, pasta dishes.  Like a pp said - eggs with potatoes and seasonings.  

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I did this Spicy Chicken and fed five people with three chicken thighs.  I have to find the recipe, I think it was in a book..

Tress1986
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM
If i have less for food then normal eggs is a good food thats healthy. Also chicken and like others say whole wheat pasta. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

These ladies have some great ideas...good luck mama!

frecklesthehen
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

i totally forgot about the crock pot. you can make meals in bulk to save money, split it up, and freeze for later. it makes things like lasagna, pot roast, chili, etc less expensive than getting the portions for just one meal.

OliviasMommy611
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Soups can be cheap. You can make all kinds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy a whole chicken.  Cook it in the crock pot (plain or with any combination of herbs, spices, and veggies that you like).  Take the meat off the bones.  A typical supermarket chicken will yield two adults probably 2 servings a pice.  Once you have the meat off, throw the bones back in the crock with 2-3 quarts water.  Let it simmer for 2 to 3 days.  Dip out broth as needed for breakfast or lunch soup.  When you can break the bones with your hands, drain the broth into a clean container, discard the bones.  Now make a great big soup full of veggies (can add beans, rice, noddles if you do those things) and freeze in amounts you and your partner will eat at one sitting.  Typically, I wind up with 2 quarts stock, which should be diluted by at least half with water.  Four quarts of broth will make you a TON of soup!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)