Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Weight loss, and breast feeding

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

Has anyone been lossing weight, changing their eating habits while breast feeding?  My baby is due next month i want to change mine and my families life style choices, but i dont want it to mess up the production of milk any advice ladies.  pregnant bellydumbbell

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM
As long as you get a minimum of 1800 calories a day your supply will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomRocs1102
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Okay, thanks :) excited and nervous

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

As long as you get a minimum of 1800 calories a day your supply will be fine.

frecklesthehen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

i lost a good amount of weight while breastfeeding my second baby (expecting baby three in Jan). i had to make slow changes. going from whatever soda i wanted, to 2 cans a day, to 1, to none. i gradually added exercise. my baby was a cuddler, so i found walking on the treadmill was a great way to get her to sleep, and i got to walk while carrying weight.

also, i used myfitnesspal. in the food journal section there is a category for breastfeeding. it will take 500 calories off of what you said you ate. and en exercise you can put in walking while carrying infant, for more accurate calories burned. it was a great tool for me.

its important to remember to drink lots of water or you might have milk supply problems. and to eat lots. it is normal to be hungry all the time. eat small meals. i always thought i was starving, but when i would look at my journal, as long as i didnt eat candy every time i was hungry, and instead ate grapes or carrots or something the calories werent that bad.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers 

MomRocs1102
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

This is great thanks, I really want to get this weight off of me.  I have a long way to go, but i would like to start soon as baby is born

Quoting frecklesthehen:

i lost a good amount of weight while breastfeeding my second baby (expecting baby three in Jan). i had to make slow changes. going from whatever soda i wanted, to 2 cans a day, to 1, to none. i gradually added exercise. my baby was a cuddler, so i found walking on the treadmill was a great way to get her to sleep, and i got to walk while carrying weight.

also, i used myfitnesspal. in the food journal section there is a category for breastfeeding. it will take 500 calories off of what you said you ate. and en exercise you can put in walking while carrying infant, for more accurate calories burned. it was a great tool for me.

its important to remember to drink lots of water or you might have milk supply problems. and to eat lots. it is normal to be hungry all the time. eat small meals. i always thought i was starving, but when i would look at my journal, as long as i didnt eat candy every time i was hungry, and instead ate grapes or carrots or something the calories werent that bad.

eema.gray
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I went hardcore paleo when my youngest was six months old and nursing.  I've had a few slip ups here and there but mostly stuck with it.  Said baby is now nearly nine months old and thriving, I'm losing inches, my husband is losing weight and inches and experiencing a lot of other surprising and small improvements (of all things, his hearing is getting better).

My paleo baby with liver pate all over her face.  :-)

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM
My first baby was extra fussy, and the only thing that calmed her was walking with her in the sling. So I went on daily walks, and switched to whole grains and cut out junk food. I lost the 42 pounds I had gained with her plus 5 until I became pregnant with my son. I have had a harder time this go around, but lost 38 of the 56 pounds I had gained during that pregnancy by the same method. Breast feeding was a great weight loss plan for me! Attempting to lose 57 pounds now before #3 :-) I'm still nursing but only a couple times a day, so I don't count those calories.
Kmary
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I personally lost weight very quickly while breastfeeding both times.  Never had supply issues, but was hungry and thirsty an awful lot.  Losing weight is a great side effect of breastfeeding, but definitely make sure your first priority is proper nutrition for you and your baby.  You need to eat quite a bit while breastfeeding.  Most will say 1800 or so and you're fine, but I found personally for  my body if I didn't eat a little over 2000 I felt like absolute garbage.  So just play it by ear and eat healthfully.  Great choice for you and your baby!

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM
My dd is 11 months and I have not been able to lose anything. I am nursing on demand, watching my calories and exercising and nothing is happening. I've lost 5 lbs. that's it. Breast feeding has not been a magical weight loss experience for me. I wish it had been.

Best of luck to you. I hope everything goes well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)