Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Interesting psychological question, lol.

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
  • 35 Replies

Over the past 9 months, I've lost a total of 83 pounds.  Needless to say, my body is a totally different one from the body I had when I started.  Everyone keeps saying that I look slender, or athletic,  and even a few have said thin.  It feels great...but I'm just not seeing it.  
   Well, I sort of see it.  But it is like my brain is stuck on what I call the "fat girl" mentality.  It's like I can not see what my brain is telling me.  I mean I'm almost in to a size 12, I weigh 177 pounds, and I am in pretty darn good shape....so why does my brain have trouble seeing what everyone says?

Anyone else experience this?

Just to update you ladies anyway...this is where I started.
260 pounds, size 24.  In center

Today.  Size 14 jeans (which are getting loose) and 177 pounds

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by Tasha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM
It is hard because we are often the hardest on ourselves. Even now when I shop I go straight to plus size even though I know I cannnot fit anything there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I do too.  I walked in to lane bryant the other day because they had a pretty blouse on sale.

And the smallest size was too big.

It felt great, but it is like my brain still doesn't understand the concept lol. 

Quoting nlonnon:

It is hard because we are often the hardest on ourselves. Even now when I shop I go straight to plus size even though I know I cannnot fit anything there!

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM
I'm the opposite. I have never been this heavy. I've never been thin, but I've never been THIS heavy lol. I am shocked every time I look in the mirror. I think "Yeah, I'm big, but I carry it well" and then see my reflection and think "where did that paunch come from!?" Lol. That was my biggest motivation for losing weight. Its been a week and a half, 6 pounds down! :-D
katzmeow726
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Awesome...just be careful.  That's a lot of weight for a week and a half okay!  

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I'm the opposite. I have never been this heavy. I've never been thin, but I've never been THIS heavy lol. I am shocked every time I look in the mirror. I think "Yeah, I'm big, but I carry it well" and then see my reflection and think "where did that paunch come from!?" Lol. That was my biggest motivation for losing weight. Its been a week and a half, 6 pounds down! :-D

AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Quoting katzmeow726:

Thanks for your concern. I know its a lot, but I'm not starving or working out like crazy. I know its normal to lose a bunch at first and then have it slow down. I'm experiencing a slowing down of the loss already :-)
roxysmommy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I'm right there with you. I can wear a 6-8 depending on cut/brand/whatever makes them all different sizes, lol...but I still see the size 16 me all the time. It's hard, but the longer we're in our smaller sizes the easier it will be to see the changes, I hope.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Maybe it has to do with how fast you lost it- I mean that's a LOT in that amount of time (or any amount of time really)

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I know how that feels.  I still walk into the dressing room with huge clothes that don't fit and have to come out and get smaller sizes.  I still can't wrap my head around it.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I still feel like the overweight person I had gotten use to. When I see myself in pictures now its like a pleasant reminder that I'm not. But it definitely takes some getting use to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)