Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Homemade Bread - Would this work?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'd like to make this recipe

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

but use whole wheat flour instead of the bleached stuff.  Will it work the same do you think?  I don't see why not, but I'm not a "seasoned" bread maker.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BelindaDuvessa
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

It should.  If you're worried, do half and half the first time.  I can tell you from experience, it will definitely be denser than what the original recipe was.  Look on Google for tips and tricks on how to make wheat breads "fluffier".  I think it has something to do with the mix time but I'm not sure off the top of my head.  It's been a while.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM

I honestly have no idea...not a baker!  Good luck though Karen...it looks delicious!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM

You'll have to have a much longer rise time and the loaf will be dense.  WW flour isn't broken down as much as all-purpose flour, so it's harder for the yeast to work with the gluten strand.  You can always add vital wheat gluten to the dry ingredients, around 2 to 4 Tablespoons per one pound loaf (if I remember right.)

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I have never made bread but let me know if it works! i keep wanting to make bread and then not doing it. I have even added a couple of recipes to mfp but then not made them! And I talked to a vendor at that farmers market about her bread and told her that I always make pizza dough but I was still scared to make my own and she said don't be scared.  And I didn't even buy her bread because it was $4.50 hehehee. 

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for the tips ladies! 

nlonnon
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I would try a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture first and then slowly switch to all wheat, just so you can keep an eye on the process.

emilyrosenj
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

If you look at the end of the recipe, she has some tips on using wheat flour.  I tend to bake it the way she suggests, according to the recipe first, then play around with it the next time.

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Quoting emilyrosenj:

If you look at the end of the recipe, she has some tips on using wheat flour.  I tend to bake it the way she suggests, according to the recipe first, then play around with it the next time.

Oh thanks, I don't know how I missed that.  Yeah I probably will just make it with white flour to get a feel for how it works and then branch out.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)