Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Holiday Challenge: Day 7 Low Calorie Treats

Welcome to Day 7 of the Holiday Challenge!

On day 1 of the Holiday Challenge, I asked what your holiday food temptations were. The most common answers were cookies and eggnog.

Below are a couple healthier choice, lower calorie holiday recipes for you to try.

Holiday Spice Cut-Out Cookies

HungryGirls No-Nonsense Nog

Do you have any low fat/low calorie holiday recipes to share?

Do you make low fat/low calorie treats during the holidays?

holding ornamentsOne member who signs up for our Holiday Challenge and replies to 15 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Our Holiday Challenge-WIN a $25 Gift Card and other PRIZES!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
letstalk747
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

nope

sexydiva4279
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I usually don't make any low calorie options. My mom does a lot of the baking. She's traditional.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Awesome, thanks for the recipes!  I don't have any low fat recipes for treats, I just try to limit my intake. 

sugarfox72
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I don't, my recipes are all super bad and oh so good... that being said I just have one of each and don't go back for any more.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Do you have any low fat/low calorie holiday recipes to share?  No, just try to keep things in perspective and eat within reason/caloric restriction!

Do you make low fat/low calorie treats during the holidays?  No but I certainly should!

reneawesley
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I don't have any. I just follow recipes without substitutions for the holidays. If I were making it for just my family I'm more willing to experiment but not when it's for others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelindaDuvessa
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Do you have any low fat/low calorie holiday recipes to share?  None for regular food.

Do you make low fat/low calorie treats during the holidays?  I made mini cheesecakes last year for a pot luck at work for Christmas.  Everyone raved.

Mini Cheesecakes

This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (WHAT'S THIS)

Introduction

Who can resist thick, creamy decadent cheesecake? Try this low-fat version in the single serving size.

Ingredients

• 12 low-fat vanilla wafers
    • 3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature 
    • 12 oz. fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature 
    • 1/2 cup sugar 
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 2 eggs
    • cherry pie filling

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line muffin tins with 12 foil cupcake papers. Place a vanilla wafer in the bottom of each cupcake paper.

2. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and fat-free cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla and mix well. Add eggs and beat until smooth.

3. Pour cheesecake mixture into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until centers are almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

4. Decorate cheesecake tops with cherry pie filling.

Makes 12 cheesecakes/servings.

Nutritional Info
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 120.6
  • Total Fat: 4.4 g
  • Cholesterol: 40.9 mg
  • Sodium: 211.5 mg
  • Total Carbs: 14.4 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
  • Protein: 6.0 g

I used less sugar than called for.  1/3 cup instead of the 1/2 cup.  And I made them using Oreo's instead of the Nilla Wafers.  Oh, and all the 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese instead of mixing it up like the recipe calls for.  It will change the macros a bit but it's still lower than what a regular cheesecake is.  Turned out great.

mommasugafoot
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Betty Crocker has a wonderful recipe for red velvet cupcakes that are sooooooo good. But the way they are healthy is that they use beets. I hate beets but this is a treat where I am so on the vegetable for dessert train.

NICHOLE87
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Quoting myhandsomelove:

No I don't make low fat treats, I juat limit myself on how much of them I eat. I am gonna try those spiced cookies tho they sound good. :-)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I still make cookies, but I'll use coconut oil instead of butter, which doesn't save calories, but it does include healthier fats.  I try to limit the unhealthy stuff.

I make my quinoa salad a lot this time of year, and it's very popular.  I made deviled eggs (mine are healthier than most) for a party last night.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)