Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Supplements?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 14 Replies

There are so many supplements out there that are used to help lose weight. Do you feel its ok to take these, along with a healthy diet and exercise. The ones im interested in are Green Coffee Bean Extract and Raspberry Ketones. Im not looking for a "miracle pill" I am looking for something to help curb the appetite. I already eat a lot of fiber, and i feel it works for a little while.

Wife to Jeff 9/17/10
Mommy to...

Kira 4/18/07

Owen 5/27/09
Ian 11/17/11

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Animal fats help curb appetite.  Supplements may help for a little while but they don't really teach you eating habits you can maintain for a lifetime.

nlonnon
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I personally don't take any and have never looked into them.  Sorry!

QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I definitely wouldn't be looking for weight loss from supplements.  Exercise and good nutrition build healthy habits that will last a lifetime.  As far as the green coffee bean extract, it does have a benefit of weight loss.  I am doing a trial run on my 17 year old daughter with it, but we're not doing it for weight loss purposes.  There are a lot of other great benefits from this supplement as well.  One of them is for good circulation.  My daughter has Raynaud's Syndrome, and so far it's been good as she was having episodes once per week.  It's been a month now, and she hasn't had any problems.  But, I have to say she'll be happy if she sees the scale go down a few pounds too as she wants to lose about 10 pounds.  LOL. 

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

A balanced diet will be much more effective, especially over the long haul, than any supplement.  If you have to use a supplement to curb your appetite, what happens when you reach your goal?  Results are only as permanent as the measures you use to achieve them.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I agree here.  Good luck OP!

Quoting musicpisces:

A balanced diet will be much more effective, especially over the long haul, than any supplement.  If you have to use a supplement to curb your appetite, what happens when you reach your goal?  Results are only as permanent as the measures you use to achieve them.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of supplements. Personally, I take a multi-vitamin, and eat cleanly 99% of the time, drink water and coffee, and workout. 

Protein will help to curb your appetite.Nuts, nut butters, animal fats, all of those are healthy options for curbing appetites.  

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

itsm3
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

both are bullshit.  just giving it to you straight.  i know dr. oz has been all over those two stating that they help you lose weight etc but it's a crock of shit.  btw, dr. oz is a quack.  that man should have his medical license revoked and start working for a marketing company because that's what he really is:  a marketing prop.  

no pill will help you lose weight.  it may boost it a teeny tiny bit but pills alone will do nothing if you're not actively exercising and eating right.  

appetite is physical but also psychological.  your body needs food when hungry but if you eat properly, the right amount of cals and the right kinds of food (fresh, lean proteins, veggies etc etc), then your cravings will be dramatically reduced.  the psychological part comes in when you crave bad foods ie. "i really really want to eat that [insert bad food here]" because you know it's so tastey so your mind will often trick your body into think it needs it and it's hungry when in fact it doesn't need it and it's not hungry.

you can curb your own appetite but eating frequently and making sure that you eat clean.  if you are craving something sweet, eat a handful of berries.  if you feel snackish, drink a big glass of water and then wait for 15mins... see how you feel then.  if you're still snackish, eat something healthy instead.

food choices are just that :  food CHOICES.  you decide if you want to eat healthy or unhealthy.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Every time I see his name mentioned in the group, I cringe.  The guy will endorse any product that will pay him.  It's painful.  I had to start watching for awhile, because my MIL kept talking about the things she saw on there (of course she'd "inform" me about it because I'm in the medical field).  Awful.  Just further confusing an already confused population.

Quoting itsm3:

both are bullshit.  just giving it to you straight.  i know dr. oz has been all over those two stating that they help you lose weight etc but it's a crock of shit.  btw, dr. oz is a quack.  that man should have his medical license revoked and start working for a marketing company because that's what he really is:  a marketing prop.  

no pill will help you lose weight.  it may boost it a teeny tiny bit but pills alone will do nothing if you're not actively exercising and eating right.  

appetite is physical but also psychological.  your body needs food when hungry but if you eat properly, the right amount of cals and the right kinds of food (fresh, lean proteins, veggies etc etc), then your cravings will be dramatically reduced.  the psychological part comes in when you crave bad foods ie. "i really really want to eat that [insert bad food here]" because you know it's so tastey so your mind will often trick your body into think it needs it and it's hungry when in fact it doesn't need it and it's not hungry.

you can curb your own appetite but eating frequently and making sure that you eat clean.  if you are craving something sweet, eat a handful of berries.  if you feel snackish, drink a big glass of water and then wait for 15mins... see how you feel then.  if you're still snackish, eat something healthy instead.

food choices are just that :  food CHOICES.  you decide if you want to eat healthy or unhealthy.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Jess0915
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I personally don't take anything, but I've thought about it. When it comes right down to it though, I won't because I have two nurslings and I don't want to find out years from now there were side effects they didn't know about. It takes an act of God to get me to take a tylenol, lol.

eema.gray
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Shockingly, he (Dr. Oz) actually gave Dr. Davis (the author of Wheat Belly) a fair shake about a week ago.  Seemed genuinely confounded over the results of an experiment with the audience showing that for the majority of the participants, a whole grain snack spiked blood sugars more severely than a piece of dark chocolate.  It would be nice to think that his thinking may become less about supplements this and 30 day diet for that but all those companies sponsor his show so that puts him in between a rock and a hard place . . . . . 

Quoting musicpisces:

Every time I see his name mentioned in the group, I cringe.  The guy will endorse any product that will pay him.  It's painful.  I had to start watching for awhile, because my MIL kept talking about the things she saw on there (of course she'd "inform" me about it because I'm in the medical field).  Awful.  Just further confusing an already confused population.

Quoting itsm3:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN