Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Rest days???

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM
  • 17 Replies
How important do you think they are?!

I'm 9 days into my new routine but today the 9th day is on the schedules rest day. There is one every Monday.

I started my routine in the middle of the week that's why it's weird like that.

Anyway I discovered today that on my rest day I reverted back to old habits.

So how bad is it to not take the one day break a weak?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM
2 moms liked this

VITAL.  Even if it's an active rest day, taking at least 1, ideally 2, days off is an important part of injury prevention and of allowing your body to repair.  Rest days don't mean sitting on the sofa all day- tomorrow is my rest day, and I'm doing a 4-5 mile hike with my mom (I'm a trail runner, and I'm used to doing twice that distance on the same trails, so for me, this is rest).  Yoga, walking, easy cycling or swimming, etc all count as active rest.  You just need to take it down a few notches and let your body recover.  You don't have to totally break your routine.

I was actually just thinking about this myself, because I am a "streaker," if you will, where I seem to do better when I just keep going day after day, as that rest day can quickly lead to two, then three, etc.  Active rest seems to work best for me- I prefer to keep moving!

Find what works for you, but allow your body to heal and recover.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

anikahaynes1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM
That's good advice! Thank you!! That will be doable til February when we move to New York. Ill have to find a way to have active rest days inside. I'm doing turbo fire and loving it!!! This is the longest I've stuck with something in years!!! So I'm trying really hard to not break the cycle this time.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Great job sticking with it!! 

Yoga DVDs can be a great way to stay active inside, or even a fitness DVD that's more mellow than you're used to.  Walking is good- if you're in the city, there's tons of walking to be had!  I know it's hard to get outside up there that time of year- I spent a couple of years in RI.  But you'll be SO glad you stayed active!

Quoting anikahaynes1:

That's good advice! Thank you!! That will be doable til February when we move to New York. Ill have to find a way to have active rest days inside. I'm doing turbo fire and loving it!!! This is the longest I've stuck with something in years!!! So I'm trying really hard to not break the cycle this time.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Great advice...totally agree here!

Quoting musicpisces:

VITAL.  Even if it's an active rest day, taking at least 1, ideally 2, days off is an important part of injury prevention and of allowing your body to repair.  Rest days don't mean sitting on the sofa all day- tomorrow is my rest day, and I'm doing a 4-5 mile hike with my mom (I'm a trail runner, and I'm used to doing twice that distance on the same trails, so for me, this is rest).  Yoga, walking, easy cycling or swimming, etc all count as active rest.  You just need to take it down a few notches and let your body recover.  You don't have to totally break your routine.

I was actually just thinking about this myself, because I am a "streaker," if you will, where I seem to do better when I just keep going day after day, as that rest day can quickly lead to two, then three, etc.  Active rest seems to work best for me- I prefer to keep moving!

Find what works for you, but allow your body to heal and recover.

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Thanks for asking this! I had the same question.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with Suz. Rest days are essential to good health. You cannot build muscle if your body is always working. Your muscles need time to rebuild and restrand, which is why it is so important to work different muscle groups every workout and to rest the others groups that have been worked. 

Walking, yoga, pilates, etc... are all great "active" rest day activities. I have been taking Thursdays off as I do a class on M-W-F and then run on other days...this week, I'm taking it off since I have a Mammogram that morning and can't go to the gym...You just have to get into the mindset that just because you worked out that does not mean you can go eat a double cheeseburger or that because you are taking a day off that it will derail all of your hard work thus far. You just have to make good choices on those days off. You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

nlonnon
by Tasha on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM
If you are doing Turbo Fire, be sure and use those built in rest days, your body needs the break!
itsm3
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

VERY important; esp if you're lifting.  your muscles need time to regnerate and rest.  i take 2 rest days (sat/sunday). 

QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I agree with Suzanne and Claire --> very important.  When you're working out all the time, especially with weight/resistant training, your muscles are going through microscopic tears. Therefore, they need rest to recover and re-build. Without the rest, they can't heal and puts your body into catabolism (muscle breakdown).  For active rest, I go for 3-4 mile walks or hiking.  I would love to get into some form of yoga as well as it's supposed to relax the mind as well.  wink

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I think rest days are really important too. but I also think it's good to do something active on rest days.  something that isn't challenging though, like a walk (if you're used to walking) or lots of cleaning (yuck! lol) or grocery shopping counts imo ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)