Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Is it safe to exercise when you are sick?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

I feel like I'm coming down with something but I still want to exercise.  I'm trying to do something everyday for 21 - 30 days until I get used to it.  I really don't want to miss a day because of a cold!

Margaret

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilsalcro
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Yes it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxysmommy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

As long as you don't feel like death then yes, but don't over do it because then you're running your immune system down and could get worse.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM

It depends on how sick you are and how you feel.

Generally though, if you are pretty sick, I would refrain from exercising.  When you are sick, your body needs rest in order to heal and exercising actually does the opposite of that.

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I just feel like I'm getting cold and my throat is scratchy.  I'm going to have some tea with honey when I go home and I'm going to bed early tonight to make sure I'm rested.  I'll see how I feel in the morning.  If I'm still crappy I will do some stretching and leave it at that.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

It depends on how sick you are and how you feel.

Generally though, if you are pretty sick, I would refrain from exercising.  When you are sick, your body needs rest in order to heal and exercising actually does the opposite of that.

Margaret

emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Thank you!

itsm3
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

i don't.  i've learned my lesson and when i feel sick, i don't exercise otherwise it prolongs my illness and i hate not being able to workout for a week straight.  so i take the first 2 or 3 days off and sleep as much as i can and then i get better real quick!

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Good question. I woke up with a sore throat and cough today and decided to work out anyway. Now I feel 100xs worse!! Fever, aches, chills. Not sure if the workout had anything to do it though. I'm taking a few days off now :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Ok thanks, I will just do some stretching and not risk getting sick for the holiday.

Quoting Lesgerm:

Good question. I woke up with a sore throat and cough today and decided to work out anyway. Now I feel 100xs worse!! Fever, aches, chills. Not sure if the workout had anything to do it though. I'm taking a few days off now :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The general rule is this: 

Head cold= yes.

Chest cold= no

You can workout safely as long as there is no cough. If there is a cough, you can end up with pneumonia, bronchitis or even an upper respiratory infection. The best thing to do is to listen to the cues that your body has given you. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

roxysmommy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

So I shouldn't have run this morning with a sinus headache? LOL, I knew better....

eta: read that backwards, lol. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

The general rule is this: 

Head cold= yes.

Chest cold= no

You can workout safely as long as there is no cough. If there is a cough, you can end up with pneumonia, bronchitis or even an upper respiratory infection. The best thing to do is to listen to the cues that your body has given you. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(Sarah Robinson). Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)