Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie Here

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hello, I delivered my son almost 9 months ago and I would like to get back in shape and eat better, too.

Before I got pregnant, I was working out daily to turbo jam fire (I think that's what it's called--been too long).

Then after getting pregnant, I said I would continue to work out....then being tired all the time set in and I quit working out.

I'm wondering if there's something I can do in the mornings for like 10-15 minutes?  My son hates to be confined to the pack n'play, swing, or whatever.  

Also any suggestions for quick, healthy snacks/meals?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

Are you able to get in those 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day?  Short, intense workouts can be great.  You could set up a quick workout, where you do 25 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 10 jump squats, a 30 second plank, etc, to make an intense workout in that time.  But ideally you'll get in at least 30 minutes over the course of the day.

Eating is the biggest factor for sure.  I have a few journals that might give you some guidance:

Eating clean

General tips

Easy breakfast ideas

I am always on the go, so I carry food with me everywhere, even when I go to Starbucks to study.  Having easy foods on hand is important for me to stay on track.  It takes some experimentation, but over time, you'll find things that work for you.

Some people like tracking calories.  I do this occasionally, basically to keep myself in check, but some prefer to do it every day.  Yet another thing that's not a one-size-fits-all.  We all have to figure out what works for us.  But tracking can be a great way to keep yourself accountable, and have a good reality check of what you are (or aren't) eating.  You can use free websites/apps like sparkpeople.com, myfitnesspal.com, or livestrong.com (there are others as well), and we can help you figure out how many calories you need- just post your height, weight, age, how much you work out, and whether you're breastfeeding (or you can PM me if you don't want to post it here).

You could also try getting back on the DVDs.  As your son (who is adorable, BTW!) gets older, he might even join you!  DS was 18 months old when I started using DVDs, and he would participate (then get bored and play, ALWAYS underfoot, of course), and now that he's 4, he can do a whole DVD, using little toy trucks as hand weights!  LOL  It's so cute!  But I LOVE that I'm setting this example for him, and that he sees this as normal!  He gets excited to work out with me!  We also go running together.  Are you able to get a jogger that you could use for walks or jogs?  What about working out during naptime?

Good luck, mama!  You can do this!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaToCollin
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Thank you!  I will be checking out your journals today. I know I need to eat better, for sure!  I do have a jogger, but not sure about going out in cold weather and keeping him warm, too.  

Height: 5'8

Weight: 150 (yikes!)

Workout: haha (secretly I would like to run someday)

Breastfeeding: Absolutely!

nlonnon
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Welcome!  You are 150 pounds?  It seems (to me) like you are within a healthy weight range for your height.  But anywho, you can access all kinds of videos on-line that are short that you could do during your son's nap time.

eema.gray
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have three kids, the youngest about your son's age.  We do lots of short kid themed videos (you tube) throughout the day.  Yoga is a favorite because I can "play" with the baby while working through the poses.

MamaToCollin
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I guess I'm not overweight, but this is the biggest I've ever been.  I would like to lose some weight, but I don't want to be skin and bones again (young and a high metabolism).  Things are too soft and squishy --especially this post baby belly!  I want to be in shape and healthy for my son.  

My husband had gained 50-60 pounds a few years ago after starting a new job.  He decided he was going to lose the weight and not gain it back.  He works out in a gym at least 5 days a week.  

How do I get that mindset that my husband has?  He can say no to things like sweets (or coffee creamer!) because they have too many calories.  I think I lack a control gene, lol. 

To be honest, I indulge and over eat knowing I shouldn't, but it tastes so good I do it anyway and feel bad about it afterwards.

I ordered p90x once.  Some people at work were doing it.  I thought, yeah, I could do it too.  When it came in the mail, I sent it back the next day.  I know I lack discipline and I don't know how to fix that.

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM

For me it took a while to get that mindset.  I had to spend a good month or two eating well and working out regularly for it to stick and become habit.  :) I went from obese and sedentary to overweight and extremely active though, so my changes were huge.  Exercise was a foreign language to me until 2 years ago. :P

reneawesley
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Welcome to the group! Some healthy and balanced snacks that I enjoy are:

• hard-boiled eggs with carrot and celery sticks
  • low-fat cottage cheese with blueberries and walnuts
  • plain Greek yogurt with pure pumpkin puree and pecans
  • natural low-sodium deli chicken/turkey/roast beef wrapped with 1 slice of hard cheese, 1/2 grapefruit
  • low-carb protein shake with 1/2 apple and a couple Tbs. almonds

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Quoting musicpisces:

Thank you!  I will be checking out your journals today. I know I need to eat better, for sure!  I do have a jogger, but not sure about going out in cold weather and keeping him warm, too.  

Height: 5'8

Weight: 150 (yikes!)

Workout: haha (secretly I would like to run someday)

Breastfeeding: Absolutely!

Ok, so here are the numbers:

BMR: 1477

1477 + 500 (for breastfeeding- yay!!) = 1977- this is the minimum nunber of calories you should consume each day.

1977 x 1.2 = 2372- this is the number of calories your body requires to maintain your current weight while you're not working out.

2372-500 = 1872 (below your BMR, so we'll throw this out)

To lose about 1 lb per week while not working out, consume 1977 calories per day.

If you start working out, your weight changes, or you eventually wean your son, these numbers will change, and we can recalculate them for you.

You can totally run!  I was like you, always secretly wanting to be one of "those" people (and have those amazing calves!).  I had LOTS of excuses why I "couldn't".  I was too big, my boobs were too big, my knees hurt, I'd look like a fool, I was way too out of shape, blah blah blah.  When I got down to 250 through diet (started at 269), I finally made myself go, excuses be damned.  I did a loop that took me about 30 minutes (1.7 miles at the time), and I ran a block, walked a block.  Even if I felt I could run further, I knew I'd need that energy toward the end of the run.  By the end, I was EXHAUSTED, and nt quite making it through all of the running parts, but I survived it.  I did this 3 days a week to start (back to back days would really hurt my knees when I tried it, so I had to take it easy and do other stuff on those in between days).  I have a journal that goes into all the details of how I lost my weight and how my running improved here if you want to see it.  But 2 years later, I'm in the 160s and still losing, and still running, and I LOVE it.  I hated it to start, of course!  But I pushed through it.

There are always going to be barriers.  How will you overcome them?  You have your son, so what about finding a jogger (don't forget about places like Craigslist!) and going for it?

I saw another response of yours that I wanted to respond to, so I'll finish this up there.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Stefanie83
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Welcome! Yay I get to link to my journal for the first time!  ;) lol.

Stuff I Eat

I mostly snack on fruit but sometimes eggs, peanut butter, nuts, cheese, triscuits, protein bars :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)