Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Question about coconut oil...

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 12 Replies

Healthier than evoo?

Which is healthier (or are they equal): virgin CO or regular CO?

If you use CO instead of butter or evoo, does it change the taste of your food?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for cold dishes (salads and such).  Reason being that coconut oil is heat stable and retains its beneficial properties when cooked.  Olive oil is less heat stable so I either put it on hot dishes after they come off the stove or in salad dressings, mayo, etc.

AJ_Parks
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I would say coconut oil is healthier than evoo. I do still keep evoo in my house to use when I want the flavor from it.

Virgin coconut oil is the healthier option but it tastes like coconut. I use this when coconut flavor added is ok. And I use it also for all external uses.

Expeller pressed coconut oil is still a good option but does not taste like coconut. I use this in the place of all oil in my house unless I desire the taste of evoo or coconut.

I sugessed buying a high quality expelled pressed coconut oil so it is minimal processed. I buy tropical traditions. They run free shipping almost once a month.

Try it out. We love our coconut oil here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Unrefined coconut oil is extremely healthy and beneficial. It can also be used topically. It has properties that are anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-virial, anti-bacterial. It also contains medium chain fatty acids that are one of the best fats that are used for fuel and not stored. We use all kinds of coconut products in our house. Milk, yogurt, ice cream, shredded coconut, the oils both refined and unrefined. It's an all around great thing to keep in your home. We also use EVOO, it all depends on what I'm cooking!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I agree with all of the above!  Does it change the taste of foods? I'd have to say "yes" but for the better. There are certain veggies that I really don't care for the taste, even with butter, EVOO, or other sources of fat. However, those foods are awesome with coconut oil.

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

eema.gray
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Also, OP, if you add a pinch of salt to coconut oil while cooking, that reduces the "coconut" flavor considerably.  

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It will taste different than EVOO or butter, and I use it for different things (finding new uses every day!).  I'm still getting used to it, but I am using it more, and I keep coming across more and more health benefits of it from multiple sources.  I don't believe in "miracle foods" or anything like that, but it's definitely a very healthy fat (just don't use it by the cup- it's still high in calories!).  I am experimenting with places I can replace butter and other oils with it.  It's AMAZING in baked goods that call for butter.  I tried it on a sweet potato instead of butter, but I really prefer the taste of butter for that.  I used it to make scrambled eggs yesterday- OMG.  SO good.  Just a half a teaspoon or so in the pan.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

eema.gray
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

LOL

I use a Tablespoon per person for scrambling eggs.  :-D  But I'm cooking for little people who need the good-for-growing-brains stuff in coconut oil.

Quoting musicpisces:

It will taste different than EVOO or butter, and I use it for different things (finding new uses every day!).  I'm still getting used to it, but I am using it more, and I keep coming across more and more health benefits of it from multiple sources.  I don't believe in "miracle foods" or anything like that, but it's definitely a very healthy fat (just don't use it by the cup- it's still high in calories!).  I am experimenting with places I can replace butter and other oils with it.  It's AMAZING in baked goods that call for butter.  I tried it on a sweet potato instead of butter, but I really prefer the taste of butter for that.  I used it to make scrambled eggs yesterday- OMG.  SO good.  Just a half a teaspoon or so in the pan.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
aprilsalcro
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Bump to read later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1TimeMomma28
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Wow, I didn't know that! I'll have to try it :) 

Learn something new everyday lol

Quoting eema.gray:

Also, OP, if you add a pinch of salt to coconut oil while cooking, that reduces the "coconut" flavor considerably.  

Wife to Wayne (Feb 74) mother to MichaelOct '09-March'10), Jeremiah(Oct '11) and Molly(due Nov '12)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Yeah, no one in our house has trouble getting in enough calories!  DS inherited my appetite!  He's only 4, but he literally out-eats my husband!  Luckily, he also out-RUNS my husband!  LOL

Quoting eema.gray:

LOL

I use a Tablespoon per person for scrambling eggs.  :-D  But I'm cooking for little people who need the good-for-growing-brains stuff in coconut oil.

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)