Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low carb or low cal?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

Which is more important to you?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in going low-carb, and eating enough calories is vital, but of course, a deficit is required to lose weight.

Healthy carbs are important- whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds, etc.  I get my carbs from those types of sources.  I have cut way back on the refined grains (had eliminated them entirely, and likely will again).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

SAHMto_2
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I cut out grains. I find I naturally stay within my calorie range when I don't eat grains and I don't crave crap any more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM

I agree here:)  Good luck OP!

Quoting musicpisces:

I don't believe in going low-carb, and eating enough calories is vital, but of course, a deficit is required to lose weight.

Healthy carbs are important- whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds, etc.  I get my carbs from those types of sources.  I have cut way back on the refined grains (had eliminated them entirely, and likely will again).

mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I don't really care about carbs, and my calories are tracked using a bodybugg so I don't really do low cal either. I eat well and make sure I have a daily deficit..some days that means I eat close to 2000 calories as I've burned 800 at the gym...it just depends on my day. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

AmberRose1122
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM
I eat carbs, but no bread, pasta, cereal or rice. I'm working really hard right now, and the way for me to do it is cut those items out. Anything starchy is gone. I also eat a serving of fruit or veggies every 2 hours. It helps me tremendously to not snack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I do a bit of both.

itsm3
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM

neither.  i believe in a balanced diet.  i also watch my calories but i know if i eat too many carbs, i feel weird and sluggish so i limit that.  i also eat healthy alternatives so sweet potatoes, brown rice/pasta etc.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM
This.

Quoting musicpisces:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM

It depends on what you mean by "low carb." Most people tend to think that carbs consist of only starchy foods such as grains, potatoes, breads, pastas, and junk foods. However, vegetables and fruits are also carbs and extremely important to your health. However, there is a right and wrong way to eat starchy carbs. For the most part, your body doesn't need starchy carbs except when doing laborious activities or strenous exercise. If the goal is to lose body fat, then starchy carbs should only be eaten after a strenous workout 1-2 times per week.

As far as calories, there will need to be a deficit to lose body fat. That deficit can come in the form of exercise or food. With food, a healthy deficit is between 250-500 calories from your maintenance calories. However, calories are not the only thing that is important. The types of food you eat are also important. Natural foods are burned off faster than pre-packaged, processed, and refined foods... by up to 50 percent.

Therefore, your best bet is to eat healthy.  wink

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

Stefanie83
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I count calories, I ate around 1600 for most of my weight loss, and now I eat around 2000. I don't restrict carbs at all but I do use 100% whole wheat and fruits and veggies for my carbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)