Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i go back to normal?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM
  • 11 Replies
Prepregnancy, which was almost a year ago, i was in the gym 2-3 hours 6 days a week. I had to stop about 2 months pregnant due to asthma and joint stress. Ive never been one to crave chocolate, even on my menstral. No sodas. I had every intention of going right back into the swing of things after ds was born. Well i cant afford a gym membership right now. I crave chocolate every moment of my life. Ive been drinking soda again too. I hardly ever eat and when i do its something quick like a snack bar or cereal. I just cant find the time and motivation. Hellllp! its like the old me in is there kicking and screaming but nothing ever gets done. I want to be healthy again :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to go to the gym to work out.  I've lost most of my weight without a gym membership.  I do DVDs at home, strength training at home (just a set of hand weights, but I mostly do things like push ups, planks, lunges, etc), running, hiking, swimming (community pool), and cycling.  There's more than one way!

What's your motivation?  WHY do YOU want to lose weight?  Only YOU can answer this for yourself.  I recommend writing it out, and take the time to really think about it.

Then, consider whether caving to cravings is worth not achieving your goals. I see some excuses in your post.  Write out your excuses (we ALL have them), and how you'll overcome them.

You need to eat throughout the day.  MAKE it happen.  Figure out some quick options that you like.  I boil up a dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge to eat throughout the week.  I'll have two for breakfast with a slice of toast, or one as a snack, or on a salad, or in a sandwich.  I do a lot of carrots and hummus, or a banana with 1 TBSP of peanut butter.  I also make large dinners, so we can have leftovers for lunches, and I'll sometimes freeze a dinner's worth for another night.

I also have some general tips here if it helps.

Find what works for you!!  Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Action_Jaxon
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Thanks :) the elliptical was like my best friend. I really want one in my house. I got pregnant during my 3rd year of college so my go to meal was a super salad and a cup of soup. Salads were spinach, water chesnuts, eggs, craisins, almond slivers, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, and occaionally grilled chicken or beef. Id also dip my fork in my dressing (on the side) before each bite instead of pouring it on my salads. That meal isnt as convenient when you have to prepare it all yourself :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:13 AM
I do a lot of salads for convenience, actually. I keep a container of salad greens (I like Organic Girl Super Greens) in the fridge at all times, a dozen hard boiled eggs (great for easy breakfasts, snacks, salad toppings and sandwiches), cherry tomatoes, cooked chopped chicken, sunflower seeds, and Newman's Own Light dressings (I like the honey mustard, balsamic vinegarette, and Italian) on hand most of the time, so those are all super easy for throwing together a salad, and you can chop up a cucumber or bell pepper and keep it in the fridge. There are really a ton of tricks once you experiment and find what works for you. I'm in nursing school, and I'm gone 12 hours a day 5+ days a week, so I have to pack convenient food everywhere to keep from eating 5000 calories a day and spending $50 on food. It has taken time, but I have my staples, and I know how to throw together easy stuff. Time is a tough thing, but with the motivation to make it work you can! I have learned to be very flexible with my workouts (hard for me!!), but I still manage them most days. I'm taking full advantage of the break right now! The time is there. You just have to make it happen!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Suz is right. You have to find what is going to work for you. She is also correct in that it is very easy to eat well and it be convenient. I keep veggies in the house constantly, that I can grab for lunch or snacks and dip into hummus. <--- luckily, Dh and I like different hummus flavors so we each have our own containers.

I just recently got back into the gym after working out at home for 3 years using Beachbody DVDs and running ( like Suz, I'm a runner). I went back to the gym because I am getting my Personal Trainer Certifications and I need to be back in a gym setting for my profession. I would suggest that if you are planning on working out at home, that you get some weights, and maybe a few DVDs to rotate through. Set aside 30 minutes each day at least and you'll be surprised at how easily it comes back to you. Look up workouts on youtube, On Demand, Fit TV, and even Netflix if you have it. 

You can do it!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

mom_3.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM

wow 2-3 hours in the gym? that sounds like a lot. I would think an hour would be sufficient? 

I dont have money for a gym membership, etiher. Instead, I have been running in the beautiful outdoors, sometimes riding my bike instead, but usually running. You can also do workouts in your backyard or inside if that's your thing. weight losss and fitness certainly doens't require a gym membership. good luck! I know how it goes...sometimes it's hard to motivate ourselves.

ariesmom20
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I'm at the gym right now but I did DVDs before
Action_Jaxon
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Thanks yall. I was attempting the couch to 5K program when i got pregnant. Its hard for me to run outside in the winter bc it usually results in an asthma attack. I love pushing myself though. I just need to snap out of whatever this mood is. For some reason i hadnt thought of preparing all my salad ingredients before hand. That would make it easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Welcome!  These ladies have some great advice...find what works for YOU!  Make a list of the reasons why you want to lose weight, get healthy, etc. and keep that list with you at all times...remind yourself of why you want this and you'll get there!  Hugs!

LilSarahgirl
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:32 AM
I could have written this post myself. I'm so ready to lose this additional 10 lbs I have left after having my baby 2 months ago, but I struggle to find time to work out and I eat when I'm stressed which is constantly! Plus it's Christmas and junk food is everywhere!
QueenieAbby
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Two to three hours six days a week for workouts is a LOT!  Shorter and more intense workouts (within an hour) would be the way to go.  Your body needs time to recover and heal before the next bout of pounding.  Suzanne and Claire have given some great advice. 

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)