Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A new way to look at exercise...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 31 Replies
4 moms liked this
I think one of the reasons so many people fail at exercise is because it sounds intimidating. Exercise can be anything that gets your body moving it doesn't have to be hard. So instead of making a commitment to exercise make a commitment to just get up and move more. Dance around your house like an idiot during a commercial you like or wash dishes by hand once a week instead of using the dishwasher. If people made a commitment to move more rather than to exercise I believe more people would succeed jmo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Threes.Company
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this

While actively moving your body is definitely good for you, I think it is a myth that simply moving around will allow you to lose any significant amount of weight.  Your body needs regular cardiovascular workouts that elevate your heart rate to at least a zone 2 for 20-30 minutes minimum.  It is not that moving around your home will deter you from losing weight.  Sitting around is certainly not healthy.  But I think too often people hear that if they "just take the stairs instead of an escalator" or go for a leisurely walk that the pounds will just fall off.  In my opinion, this is false.  I had to do a lot more work than that to lose weight.  It's a good place to start, though, especially if you are really out of shape and cannot handle an intense workout from the get-go.  But you should be quickly increasing what you are doing if you want to see results.

lilpsmommie2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I never said it would help you lose weight. It's just a good place to start, just jumping into running 5 miles a day is not good for mind or body. Making small changes can lead up to a healthier mind and body, no you may not lose weight but you will become healthier. Any activity is good activity even if it's just 15.minutes a day.

Quoting Threes.Company:

While actively moving your body is definitely good for you, I think it is a myth that simply moving around will allow you to lose any significant amount of weight.  Your body needs regular cardiovascular workouts that elevate your heart rate to at least a zone 2 for 20-30 minutes minimum.  It is not that moving around your home will deter you from losing weight.  Sitting around is certainly not healthy.  But I think too often people hear that if they "just take the stairs instead of an escalator" or go for a leisurely walk that the pounds will just fall off.  In my opinion, this is false.  I had to do a lot more work than that to lose weight.  It's a good place to start, though, especially if you are really out of shape and cannot handle an intense workout from the get-go.  But you should be quickly increasing what you are doing if you want to see results.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I think you have a good point.  Make small changes in activity and it can help you to get more active.  I started exercising by playing the Wii fit games.  I have good habits now of not trying to get the closest parking spot and walking more in general.  And now I do other workouts, too for longer periods of time and I feel stronger.

lilpsmommie2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Small changes are important a lot more important than people realize.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I think you have a good point.  Make small changes in activity and it can help you to get more active.  I started exercising by playing the Wii fit games.  I have good habits now of not trying to get the closest parking spot and walking more in general.  And now I do other workouts, too for longer periods of time and I feel stronger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Small changes definitely are good, I started very small and am just now getting to 20 min or more. I have lost a LOT of weight since September.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
valdezmama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I also think the overwhelming part of dieting and losing weight is the mistake people make about changing too many things too quickly.

plus its easy to get discouraged when the weight doesnt come off as quickly as we seemed to have put it on lol
lilpsmommie2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Yes, weight loss would be easier if people weren't so overly obsessed with it. Start small and have fun, having fun with your exercise is important. Some people enjoy running some don't, if you don't like to run them do something else that is fun for you.

Quoting valdezmama:

I also think the overwhelming part of dieting and losing weight is the mistake people make about changing too many things too quickly.

plus its easy to get discouraged when the weight doesnt come off as quickly as we seemed to have put it on lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been walking outside a lot (when not working). Even in the Chicago weather. Instead of getting already to workout with proper attire, I just throw my coat, hat, gloves, and tennis shoes on and walk 2 miles in my neighborhood.
The time goes much faster than if I were on the treadmill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpsmommie2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great it's all about finding what works for you.

Quoting crwspringer:

I've been walking outside a lot (when not working). Even in the Chicago weather. Instead of getting already to workout with proper attire, I just throw my coat, hat, gloves, and tennis shoes on and walk 2 miles in my neighborhood.

The time goes much faster than if I were on the treadmill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't agree more. I think this is one of the many reasons New Years Resolutions to lose weight so often fail. People binge and binge during the holidays then expect to slam into "healthy" mode with a hangover on 1/1. By incorporating small changes and building on those, people can set themselves up for success.
It's hard, because we ARE gung-ho when we've decided we're serious this time, we want results ASAP, and we want to feel like we're doing the right thing. But then people get drastic with their diet and are starving and have out of control cravings, or kill themselves with a 5 mile run and get totally defeated and frustrated and give up.
I do agree that at least SOME movement is good, even better if it's the start of a series of small changes, because more of those small changes can add up to big results!!

Quoting valdezmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)