Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Group...Question about breastfeeding & weight loss

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

I've just had my 5th child (he turns a month old this week!!).  With the other children, I've had the worst time trying to lose weight while breastfeeding.  I know most people say weight just "falls off" when their breastfeeding, but I'm not that lucky.  Fortunately, I've already lost all of my baby weight, but I was 40-50 lbs over weight to begin with.  Can anyone relate to not being able to lose weight while breastfeeding & do you have any suggestions/tips?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! Making smarter food choices will make a HuGE difference. Don't drastically cut your calories, or you'll find yourself with less milk and in starvation mode, which means you switch from burning fat to burnin lean tissue.
We are all different with how our bodies respond to breastfeeding. Much like pregnancy, each experience, even for the same woman, is different. I know I gained weight breastfeeding, and I did not have the room for it!
How are you eating now? Most people, in general, benefit from increasing their veggie intake, some fruit intake (not more than 3 servings or so a day), and water. Then start trading out your enriched white grains for while grains, and trade in lean protein choices. Then start cutting out the sugar, caloric beverages and processed foods.
Once you have the doctor's clearance, get moving! Have you ever exercised? What do you enjoy? Walking is always a great place to start, and you can include the kids with it. You can also try DVDs at home- I know my son has enjoyed doing them with me since he was 18 months old!
Have you ever thought about tracking your foods? Many of us like myfitnesspal.com, and there are also sparkpeople.com and livestrong.com. Have one of us calculate your BMR (for your caloric needs) if you choose to do this, as many sites calculate your calorie needs too low, which again, is dangerous. We'll just need your height, weight, age, how much you work out (at that time), and a reminder that you're breastfeeding.
I hope this gives you some starting ideas. Good luck, mama!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  Suzanne has great advice:)

reneawesley
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

almondpigeon
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM

thank you for responding!  

i get very frustrated b/c i do all the "right" things when trying to lose weight.  i exercise for an hour 5 times a week....i track calories....i drink water....i do everything i'm supposed to do but nothing happens.  as soon as my doc clears me to exercise, i'll start working out again.  hopefully, this time will be different!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome to the group! Making smarter food choices will make a HuGE difference. Don't drastically cut your calories, or you'll find yourself with less milk and in starvation mode, which means you switch from burning fat to burnin lean tissue.
We are all different with how our bodies respond to breastfeeding. Much like pregnancy, each experience, even for the same woman, is different. I know I gained weight breastfeeding, and I did not have the room for it!
How are you eating now? Most people, in general, benefit from increasing their veggie intake, some fruit intake (not more than 3 servings or so a day), and water. Then start trading out your enriched white grains for while grains, and trade in lean protein choices. Then start cutting out the sugar, caloric beverages and processed foods.
Once you have the doctor's clearance, get moving! Have you ever exercised? What do you enjoy? Walking is always a great place to start, and you can include the kids with it. You can also try DVDs at home- I know my son has enjoyed doing them with me since he was 18 months old!
Have you ever thought about tracking your foods? Many of us like myfitnesspal.com, and there are also sparkpeople.com and livestrong.com. Have one of us calculate your BMR (for your caloric needs) if you choose to do this, as many sites calculate your calorie needs too low, which again, is dangerous. We'll just need your height, weight, age, how much you work out (at that time), and a reminder that you're breastfeeding.
I hope this gives you some starting ideas. Good luck, mama!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)