Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Your weight loss progress! Motivation for new members!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 69 Replies
4 moms liked this

Show us your weight loss pictures, and tell us how you did it.

What do you eat regularly? How often do you work out? What kind of workouts?

This is for promoting healthy weight loss and to show new members that many many people have succeeded with eating right and exercising.

This might serve as some good motivation to get your own ball rolling.

And also just because I love seeing all of you looking so wonderful.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM
10 moms liked this

My name is Karen! I'm 27 and about 18 months ago I started my weight loss journey.  After about 12 months I lost a little over 50lbs and just kind of stayed there, so now I'm working on building some muscle.  I've kept that 50lbs off for about 6 months.

I eat at LEAST 1600 calories a day every single day.  On workout days it's 2000 or a little more depending on what I burn.  I try to eat balanced meals, and cook at home as much as possible.  

I've done everything from elliptical, ARC machine, body pump (weight lifting) classes, bike riding, and  bikram yoga (hot yoga).  I change it up regularly to keep myself entertained.

I've lost 11" in my hips, and 12" in my waist.

Starting weight was 221lbs, size 18/20

Current weight is about 168, give or take, size 10

Threes.Company
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM
10 moms liked this

Bump for when I'm on my computer!!

OK, here we go...

I was around 185ish after having my last child.  I was a size 12/14 at that point.

I am now at 138-141 (I fluctuate all the time).  I am now a size 2/4, depending on the brand.

How I did it...

1)  I joined Life Time Fitness.  AWESOME gym.  I love it there!!!  They have a GREAT childcare program, so I was able to get my workouts in while my kids were busy having fun!  It was a win-win. 

2)  I got myself a heart rate monitor (Polar FT7)  to track my heart rate zones during workouts and so I could properly keep myself in my target zones for the correct amount of time.  I also had a Cardio Point test done at Life Time (computerized testing program that measures your breathing and oxygen and such as you are on a treadmill) which gave me specific heart rate zones for fat-burning, cardio endurance, etc.  This way I was not just jumping on a machine and hoping for the best.  I was doing very specific interval training that required the constant monitoring of my HR.  The monitor also told me how many calories I was burning after each workout, based on my height, weight, age, heart rate, etc.  Much more specific than just holding onto the machine's unreliable monitor handles.

3)  I started food journaling and tracking calories.  I used MyFitnessPal to see how many calories I should be eating based on my height, weight, age, activity level and then I used this in combination with the burned calorie information I was getting from my monitor.  Calories in, calories burned...  I watched this every day.  Turns out, I needed to be eating about 2400-2600 calories a day to keep up with my rigorous workouts.

4)  I participated in a group training program at my gym.  I worked with a trainer 3 times a week in a small group doing hour-long workouts that incorporated both strength and cardio.  Then I also did additional strength and cardio on off days and/or before the class would start.  I was working out 5-6 times per week doing 60-90 minute workouts.  I also signed up for my first triathlon in June, so I started doing a lot of swimming, biking and running to prepare for that.  That sparked my interest in races, so I did another tri in August and the a 15K in November.  Now I am hooked.

5)  I changed my diet.  I started eating healthier, protein-rich foods.  I started cooking a lot more instead of relying on frozen meals or fast foods to get through our busy days. 

It took a lot of work.  I did not do ALL of this ALL at once either.  My overall weight loss journey took a year and a half.  It was not fast... BUT, it was successful and the weight has STAYED OFF.  By doing a lot of strength training along the way, I burned a lot of fat... and then when the fat finally went away, there was a ton of muscle tone waiting underneath.  Who knew!?  ;)  I love my body now.  I am proud of my efforts.  I worked VERY hard to get here.  There were no short cuts.  I did not do weird detox drinks or take pills or drink shakes, etc.  This was purely a lifestyle change involving health eating and exercise. 

I am now working with my gym to film a commercial (already filmed that part) and an informercial (filming on Jan 5th!) to spotlight their weight loss programs and how the gym helped me succeed.  The commercial airs starting next month and I am not sure yet with the infomercial will be done since we did not film it yet.  But, it is very exciting and I am so excited to share my story with others.  I was in a bad place at the get-go and wanted a short cut so badly.  I am so glad that I took the time to do it right and do it the healthy way!

emilyrosenj
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Not ready to share mine yet but I'll enjoy looking at everyone else's! 

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM
6 moms liked this

I started my lifestyle change back in march of this year. I started with the couch to 5k program and I'm now a long distance runner (I'm running my first half marathon in 3 weeks) and I also do crossfit. I work out 5-6 days a week. I also count calories using MFP and try to eat as healthy as possible. But I'm also realistic and didn't completely cut out all bad things 100% of the time since I want this to be something I can stick with for life. I started at 183 and I'm currently 144.6 so I've lost 38.4 lbs in about 9.5 months so far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM
7 moms liked this

I started over a million years ago at 284.  The lowest I reached in 2012 was 209.  I'm not consistent AT ALL.  If I were I'd probably be at my goal weight by now.  But I have to be happy with what I have done so far.  When I'm on my A game, I track my calories, work out and eat right.

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's my before pic...
185 lbs, 5'3" tall
I started my journey on Jan 1st, 2012. I lost 50 lbs in 6 months.
I counted calories, ate within my BMR and exercised 6 days per week. Mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs and Pilates. I have also been running for about 8 months now.
Now that I'm in maintenance mode it's been a struggle. I've gained about 8-10 lbs back but am holding pretty steady now. I think my body wants a few extra pounds :/
Now I'm working out about 5 days per week, doing strength training, classes at the gym and running :)
After pics to follow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
6 moms liked this
  • start date:  jan 1, 2012
  • programs completed:  JM 30day shred/ripped in 30 combo; insanity, p90x.   i saw the most significant results from insanity (shed the fat) and p90x (built lean muscle mass and saw my body burning through even more fat)
  • current programs:  doing p90x/insanity asylum hybrid with brazil butt lift and running 5-10k
  • starting weights:  3-5lbs for arms, maybe 3 pushups, 0 pullups, don't even talk to me about chest presses/back lifts etc.  i seriously had the upper body strength of a toddler.
  • current weights:  curls/shoulders/tris 15-20lbs,  pulls 30lbs (back), pressing 25-30 (chest), squats (45-50lbs), unassisted pushups:  25-30 standard, 35 wide, 20 chatarunga, 15 diamond & 15 dive bomber (really proud of these two because these are freaking hard), 20 decline.  i can plank and do dynmaic planking like nobody's business, unassisted pullups:  2.5 (took me MONTHS to get to this).
  • measurements:  went from a size 8/10 pants and a M/L shirt/dress size to a 2/4 pants and XS shirt/dress size.
  • current weight:  i have no idea.  i don't weigh myself!  i've only stepped on the scale twice since i started and i go by inches lost only.
  • eating habits:  clean 100%, 24/7; calculation for weight loss is approx 1800cals/day which i eat or try to eat.  i eat 5x/day.    i cut out all crappy foods/desserts/soda etc etc and never cheated when i was working towards my fitness goals.  i only drink water or green tea.   the first time i had a tiny piece of dessert was on nov 15 - 11 months after i started my journey and that was my husband's bday cake.  it wasn't even a slice but more like a spoonful.   i still don't eat any bad foods; i just don't have the craving for them.

and i just took this yesterday -- this is me wearing my old size 8 jeans.  i had to squeeze my thighs together to hold them up for this photo.  not only can i pull these right over my hips without unbuttoning them, i can stuff 3 of dd's stuffed dolls down the back, that's how huge they are on me now.  it's too bad too because i've only worn these jeans once (bought them when i started my journey) and they're brand new!  

PS - you all look fantastic!! keep up the great work :)

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
4 moms liked this

This pic is from October
135-140 lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanksgiving day
140ish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Difference in my face from last year to this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)