Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

how to do something right if it is hard to with lil to nothing

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 6 Replies

how can i lose weight when in the middle of the month i have bad foods in the house like ground beef pasta and rice like how are these main three things good/bad to eat...

what should i keep in my house when we get low on foods like to day

the first of the month for a 2 weeks i would do good and like at the middle to end i fell off track

so im asking how do i eat right with lil to no healthy good foods in the house

by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
itsm3
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

you have to stock your house with healthy foods.  ground beef is not bad - i eat extra lean ground beef.  as for rice, you can eat rice jsut not too much.  as for pasta, switch to brown pasta or if you have to eat it, then just eat a small amount.

there isn't an exact formula for eating right; you have to start tracking what you eat and how much you eat according to your caloric needs for weight loss or maintenance (or whatever your fitness goals are).

you also have to remember -- although you may have unhealthy food in your house (ie. junk food etc), you don't have to eat it.  eating bad food is a decision that YOU make; no one is forcing you to eat junk/bad food.  i have some chocolate lying around my house but i never touch it.  i think i may even have a tub of icecream in my freezer but i have no desire to eat it.  even when i'm craviing junk food (ie. before my period), i don't give in to my cravings but instead, i snack on healthy foods like fruit or greek yogurt with some berries.  

falling off the wagon with your eating habits is something that you can totally control on your own.  the food around you doesn't dictate if you should eat it -- that's something that YOU decide.  buy healthy foods and eat that.  

frecklesthehen
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

i agree with itsm3. its all a choice. i have a pepsi stash and DH hasnt had a single soda or juice in over 2 years. its his choice not to drink it, my choice to drink it. i feed my kids mac and cheese but i rarely eat it.

also, you can eat that stuff, just watch how much you eat. calorie counting helps a lot, along with measuring. at one point in my life i would eat the entire box of mac and cheese, till i started logging and realized that one box was my whole days calories.

if you really cant resist temptation, or control your portions, then you might consider not even bringing that stuff home. i know i cant bring ice cream home or i will eat it all, fairly fast. so i just dont buy it.

good luck!

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Well if you can't go buy healthier stuff now just do your best with what you have. When you get paid, try to plan everything out to stretch it as far as it will go. When we are super broke we do a lot of egg meals because eggs are so cheap and it's easy to add some peppers and onions for cheap too. I know Karen ( mamakarrot) saves a lot by buying dry beans and incorporating those into their meals. IMO you don't need to worry about being 100% healthy from the start. Just try to make small changes and with time they will add up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You can rinse the ground beef once it's cooked (put it in a collander, drain off what you can in the trash, then rinse it).

I was also going to suggest dry beans.  They're a great, cheap way to bulk up meals with loads of protein and fiber.  I make big batches and freeze them in 8 and 16 oz bags.  Also, frozen veggies are great, and they don't go bad nearly as fast as fresh.  Canned are devoid of nutrients, and are loaded with sodium.  I agree about eggs- I buy tons of them.  I boil them up a dozen at a time, because hard boiled eggs are a great snack, breakfast, salad topper, and are great in an egg salad sandwich.  I occasionally make deviled eggs, too.

Next month, don't buy the junk!  If it's not in the house, you're less likely to resort to eating it.  YOU are the only person responsible for what goes into your mouth, mama.  I live on FS, and I've managed to lose over 100 lbs.  Crappy food very rarely comes into our house, and working on portion control has, of course, HELPED our food bill!

I use our crock pot a lot, and I make large meals and we live off of leftovers sometimes.  I'll also put a dinner-sized amount in the freezer for dinner on a long day.

Planning out meals will help- you can plan out how you will use an ingredient you buy.  For example, if you need to buy fresh parsley for a meal, but you won't use the whole bunch, you can plan on another meal later in the week that will use the rest.  Doing this will lead to way less food waste.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I buy frozen veggies and fruits becausE they last longer. Also beans are great. If you have "bad" meals you can switch them up white rice= brown , white bread = whole grain bread , white potatoes ( also add califlower to my mashed potatoes) to sweet potatoes , carrots, turnips and squash. White pasta =whole grain
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by Tasha on Dec. 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Great advice from the ladies above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)