Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get motivated?!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 11 Replies
I have never been so pessimistic about weightloss. I have 317.8 lbs to lose. *sigh* How will I ever do this? I need a 24/7 Jillian Michaels! I had lost almost 32 lbs in 1.5 months last year. Then my granddad died and things went down hill quickly with a move and stress. I gained it all back, plus some I think, and it's such a HUGE number it doesn't even seem possible...
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Glad you're here:)

You CAN do this mama!  Focus on small goals...daily goals...start with looking at your diet...what are you eating?  Veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein should be the bulk of your diet with little to no processed food.  Drink LOTS of water and don't drink your calories.  Just start with walking everyday and work your way up to longer walks and even biking if you enjoy that.  The key is to find something you enjoy doing so that you will stick with it.  

Hugs and good luck!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh honey... 

You will do this by taking it one day at a time. Start by making small changes to your diet. Here are a few things you can do to aide yourself in succeeding. 

1.) Be mindful of what you eat and how much. Some of us track our calories using a free website such as www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com, or www.livestrong.com. The first step to doing this is to know your BMR or Basal Metbolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body needs to function and be inactive-think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. Once you add in activity of any kind, you have to consume more in order to offset that activity and to avoid starvation mode. If you want me to do your BMR, I need your age, height, weight and the # of days per week you plan on working out. 

2.) Invest in a food scale. They are relatively cheap and are a great tool to see how much an actual serving is. 

3.) Concentrate on what you are eating- are you eating a lot of processed meals or are you eating lean proteins, produce, and drinking water? 

4.) Workouts- Find something that you enjoy doing and it will be easier to stick with. Walking is a great way to start, but since it is cold that is not feasible for some. Investing in a few cheaper DVDs is great as you can rotate through them.  You can also find things on youtube, On Demand, and hulu. 

5.) Think positive!!!! You are worth being healthy! You CAN do this! Write down the reasons you want to lose weight- regardless of what the reason and make copies. Keep those in places you will see everyday and it will help you stay on track! 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

nlonnon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Hugs sweetheart. Take ot one meal and one day at a time. You can do this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliIzzyMom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Different ways of eating work different for everyone. I would encourage you to look into a lower carb way of eating. to get the majority of the weight off and then when you get closer to goal you can slowly add more carbs back into your diet. I lost quite a bit of weight with this way of eating and then had two children in a short amount of time and I am restarting now. I do hope it works as well as it worked for me last time. Good luck momma and you can pm anytime if you ever need someone to talk with. ((((huggss)))))

valdezmama
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I had this AWESOME, motivaing response but them my conputer went nuts and I lost it all. Well, here I go again...

I have close to 100 lbs to lose.  I have always been the one that wants to change everything at one time and see instant results on the scale and my body but that doesn't ever work.  Never. Ever.

I have come to accept that losing weight is a no brainer so long as you make (and stick to!) small changes made over a large amount of time.  I was my heaviest at 280lbs.  Once I stopped drinking soda all day (and changed to water) I lost 5 lbs super quick.  After I stopped eating out and cooked at home, I lost another 10 lbs farily quickly.  That brought me to my official starting weight of 265 on November 18, 2012.

I have not eaten the perfect foods or even eaten clean by any means...and I managed to lose (and keep off) 8 lbs so far...even through the holiday eating!

What has motivated me so far has been the fact that I have not starved or spent 24hrs in the gym to see progress.  I have fallen off the wagon, but something is different this time.  I WANT THIS.  I want to be healthy.  I am ready to do the work and see awesome results.

So what am I doing differently this time??  I am not getting mad or down on myself when I slip up.  I have vowed to make single changes at a time, and I can see the importance of slow changes so I can stick to them.

Good luck and I know if *I* can do this... EVERYONE can do this!!

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Lots of good advice I wont repeat. You can do this :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleigh24
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
This is exactly what I'm doing too :-) I'm never putting myself down again EVER!!!! I am at 257 right now and I was at my heaviest 281!!! This time is totally different for some reason. I want to be healthy and happy!!! To the op you can do it!!! One day at a time. I'm making small changes so I will stick to them. I'm really watching what I'm eating and learning how to eat healthy. Small goal!! I also joined weight watchers and it is awesome. I know it cost $20 a month but I love it with my iPhone. It is simple and has a ton of recipes that I can't wait to try!!!! You can do this!! You have to really want it for yourself! Just remember that if you don't take care if yourself then you won't be around to take care of your child/children for too long. I was the type that took care of everyone but me and I'm finally realizing that if I don't take care of me then I won't be able to take care of them much longer. Like I told my hubby you don't see many old fat people around. I really think that is because you can't stay fat when your older you have way too many health problems. I'm 26 now so I'm getting older and I just don't want it to be even harder when I'm older to loose it.

Quoting valdezmama:

I had this AWESOME, motivaing response but them my conputer went nuts and I lost it all. Well, here I go again...

I have close to 100 lbs to lose.  I have always been the one that wants to change everything at one time and see instant results on the scale and my body but that doesn't ever work.  Never. Ever.

I have come to accept that losing weight is a no brainer so long as you make (and stick to!) small changes made over a large amount of time.  I was my heaviest at 280lbs.  Once I stopped drinking soda all day (and changed to water) I lost 5 lbs super quick.  After I stopped eating out and cooked at home, I lost another 10 lbs farily quickly.  That brought me to my official starting weight of 265 on November 18, 2012.

I have not eaten the perfect foods or even eaten clean by any means...and I managed to lose (and keep off) 8 lbs so far...even through the holiday eating!

What has motivated me so far has been the fact that I have not starved or spent 24hrs in the gym to see progress.  I have fallen off the wagon, but something is different this time.  I WANT THIS.  I want to be healthy.  I am ready to do the work and see awesome results.

So what am I doing differently this time??  I am not getting mad or down on myself when I slip up.  I have vowed to make single changes at a time, and I can see the importance of slow changes so I can stick to them.

Good luck and I know if *I* can do this... EVERYONE can do this!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

First, you need to want it more than anything else.  Motivation is internal.  Other people inspiral us but motivation comes from ourselves.  Believe in yourself.  When you are overweight confidence and self doubt are our biggest obstacles.  Find ways other than eating to combat stress.  Every day I make 7 daily goals when I first get up.  Some are fitness and others are not.  I exercise in karate class, at the gym, and at home.  I don't have a lot of room but I use ankles weights and mini trampoline.  It feels better than just running in place.  I then do my stretching and floor exercises.  I am working up to doing 100 push ups.  I am up to 20 and I couldn't do one when I started.  It takes time so don't give up.  My greatest obstacle for me was my self talk.  My karate instructor helped me the most.  He made me feel so good about myself that I couldn't help but be inspired.  As my confidence went up my motivation sky rocketed.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

These ladies have some fantastic advice mama!  Hugs!

boldrumble
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Thank you all. I know what i need to do. And generally my self esteem borders on egotism. But the motivation i need and dont have is really causing issues for me. I think it is because it is such a massive amount to lose. It feels so overwhelming.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)