Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A healthy New Years

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 3 Replies

OK, My name is Heather! * \0/ hey everyone* And I am a mother of 3 greatly made kids! (8,7, &5). Now i have been on a path of ups and downs..but hey who hasn't been? Anyway, throught this journey i have lost myself and let myself go. I put everyone before myself, especially my kids, and kinda put me on the back burner.. but this year i Have got to start it right and need to take care of my health so i can be a positive role model to my children to have healthy lives and to be able to be around and be able to be active in their lives and not watch or root from the sidelines. So i have weighed in at 220 pounds. YIKES!!! This is the heaviest i have been and for my 5'4 height not a good thing! I am newly engaged to a wonderful man, who does not have kids, but has accepted mine and does for them as his own.. i mean he even tattooed their names on him because to him they are his...*truly a blessing* and he loves me for me..But Momma isnt happy with herself. That the ugly truth. So This year i am wanting to lose weight.. i mean ideally about 80 pounds and get back to what fits me and is healthy. Thing is self discipline is hard and since there are so many diets out there i dont know what is the best and healthiest way to go? Anyone interested in encouraging and supporting one another while on a journey to lose weight? Any suggestions on some healthy dieting tips? Thanks!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, Heather!

I have a few journals that might help get you started, just click on them here:

Clean eating

Weight loss tips

What's working for me

This group is great for support, especially this time of year, when we get a huge influx of new members, and the group is most active!

I'm glad you have a fiance that's stepping up with the kids!  That's fantastic!  Is he also supportive of your desire to get healthy?

Self discipline IS hard, but remember that you're the main role model for your kids.  They will learn SO much from watching you do this.  Have them help you prepare healthy meals, and use that opportunity to teach them about nutrition.  My 4 year old helps me cook, and we use that time to talk about "big and strong foods" versus "sometimes foods", or about healthy fats, proteins, etc.  We talk about vitamins and how your body uses food as fuel, and all kinds of stuff.  He does my workout DVDs with me (with the attention span of a 4 year old- he plays with his toys out of exercise range when he's done), or we go for runs together on my rest days.  I'm doing everything I can to help him avoid the struggles I've dealt with my whole life.  Let your kids be your team members.  Call it Team Healthy, and make it fun!

Good luck, mama!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicalftprints
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

thanks! yes, the fiance is all about doing his part to participate and help me lose weight, and get himself in better shape. Will definitely look at the journals provided and be checking in for motivation or just to update..

I want to start this while they are young because soo many kids are obese...and it comes from parental habits just as well as from health issues that they cant help. so i want to do my part as a parent to make sure they have a healthy life and future!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Quoting musicalftprints:

thanks! yes, the fiance is all about doing his part to participate and help me lose weight, and get himself in better shape. Will definitely look at the journals provided and be checking in for motivation or just to update..

I want to start this while they are young because soo many kids are obese...and it comes from parental habits just as well as from health issues that they cant help. so i want to do my part as a parent to make sure they have a healthy life and future!

Yay!  I'm glad your fiance is on board!  That makes a big difference!

I know what you mean about the kids.  I worry so much!  I am in nursing, and I see just SO many obesity-related problems, and I have such a strong family history of everything, I want to keep my son safe.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)