Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you preportion meals

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
Im just getting started and i know its hard for me to make good food choices when im hungry. Do you preportion all your snacks and meals or how do you keep track?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I do when im having a bad week. I just eyeball it though. Its mainly for convience.
MissTacoBell
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
When you first start, use a measure to dole it out. After a few times, you get to know what a cup of something looks like and you won't need to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I measure every thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I measured stuff diligently for a while with an old postal scale, but now I can eyeball it and get pretty close because I've had enough practice.

nlonnon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Same here. No postal scale but kitchen scale.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

I measured stuff diligently for a while with an old postal scale, but now I can eyeball it and get pretty close because I've had enough practice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM
3 moms liked this

who uses a kitchen scale in the kitchen? honestly, tasha. :P

Quoting nlonnon:

Same here. No postal scale but kitchen scale.

Quoting MamaKarrot:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I use a kitchen scale, especially when I'm logging foods.  I've gotten to where I can eyeball most things, but I measure just to be sure.

I carry food to school/clinicals (I'm gone at least 12 hours 5 days a week, plus time for studying), so I have to portion everything out anyway, and carry my food with me.  It makes it easier, cheaper, and lower in calories!

If I'm having a snack at home, I NEVER EVER eat something out of the bag/box.  ALWAYS put it into a separate bowl so you don't accidentally eat more than planned.

When I tried to lose weight at one point, I tried taking an entire box of cereal, and preportioning it into Zip Lock bags.  It was moderately effective, but I find that just getting familiar with what a portion looks like, weighing it out, and going with it that way is less stressful, feels less constrictive, and is certainly less expensive!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I take my lunch so it is premeasured.
Sharell8710
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I found a wonderful website today that tracks your calories for you and exercise for each day. It tells you "if you eat like this everyday, you will weigh x amount of pounds in 5 weeks." It's a great site! And 100% free! So today I took in 1590 calories... my diet plan is 1500 per day. I love it!!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM

MFP?

Many of us are on there!  =)

Quoting Sharell8710:

I found a wonderful website today that tracks your calories for you and exercise for each day. It tells you "if you eat like this everyday, you will weigh x amount of pounds in 5 weeks." It's a great site! And 100% free! So today I took in 1590 calories... my diet plan is 1500 per day. I love it!!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)