Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need something to change in my life

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have struggled my entire life with weight issues and today of all days was the breaking point.  My husband thinking he was being supportive started getting on me because I haven't done anything about my weight gain for the past 6 months.  About 5 years ago my husband and I did the Lindora program and I lost 50 lbs in four months. I felt so good about myself and the way I looked too.  So 6 months ago I decided to do the Lindora program again and what a complete waist of money as I was not dedicated to doing the program at all.  Oh never mind the fact a year after having my son, I decided to get the lap band and only lost 40 lbs.  I found that my HUGE weakness is the crap I buy for my son since he won't eat anything healthy.  So we have junk food everywhere.  I find myself sneaking to eat it.  I am miserable and feel I don't have time to do anything for myself (like exercise or go to the gym)  but the reality of it all is that I find myself making excuses ALL the time of why I can't or won't.  (Too cold outside, too hot outside, too tired, etc.)  I need something in my head to change to want to do something different for myself.  I am so depressed and it's all due to my lack of exercise.  I can't rely on the next miracle pill or diet to do it for me.  Instant gratification doesn't come quickly enough.  In my head I think if I exercise a few times I should look like a Victoria Secret Supermodel.  My head / thinking is not right and I need help desperately.  So after my husband pissed me off and made me cry I ate a plate of tater tots and a package of NERDS candy (big box)  see normal people would have probably made a better choice - but NOT me as I want to eat my way into emotional happiness.  Ughhh

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

You sound like you see what you're doing wrong- what is your next step?  I'm glad to see that you realize this isn't a rapid process, that you've been making excuses, and that you cannot rely on pills or supplements.

Perhaps with some work, you can ease your son into healthier foods.  Seeing Mommy and Daddy eating better will make a difference.  When healthy foods are the only option, that makes things easier for everyone.  Otherwise, he's going to struggle with his weight, too.

What happened with the LapBand?

I eat clean, which, if you're super tempted by sugary foods, may or may not be a good match for you.  One of the biggest components of it is staying away from sugar and refined foods/grains.  You also stay away from processed foods.  If you're curious about it, you can click here to read the basics.

I have a journal with some tips that might help give you some ideas, as well as one here about my own journey.  I've lost over 100 lbs so far.

You need to find what's realistic for YOU.  Read through these journals, and let me know if you have any questions.  Hopefully you'll find at least a couple of things that help!

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Start by eliminating the junk food in your house.

Your son will not starve himself. Start offering only healthy choices or he will face the same battle you are currently facing.

Take things day by day & keep going when you mess up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting lillybug222:

Start by eliminating the junk food in your house.

Your son will not starve himself. Start offering only healthy choices or he will face the same battle you are currently facing.

Take things day by day & keep going when you mess up.

I agree with this. Elimate the junk NOW before your son has a problem also. My kids would eat junk all day if I left them but because they know it's a treat, they will eat healthy foods.

Good luck on your journey.

sunshinekay
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I " hide" vegtables in our meals. Add extra to spaghetti sauce. Blend them up in soups. Any way i can. Helps kids eat healthier without the battle and when i have an extra serving its not as bad as just eating junk. We also have a star chart for when they eat a new vegetable they get some sort of reward
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jennmyers4703
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Thank you ladies for the advice and support - I was even told by my son's pediatrician last Friday to eliminate the junk food - so I told my husband no more buying it.  For my son being 3 yrs old this is going to be hard to get him off the junk food and I just have to remember to stand my ground.  I see some long days ahead of us.  I also am heading to see a therapist tomorrow to get to the root cause of why I continue to do this to my self. 

Sunshine-27
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Hello Jenn. I am sorry hubby wasn't too tactful in the way he talked to you about it. But it isn't for him, it's for you, hun. Maybe there is another way to get to emotinal happiness like shopping! Won't hubby like that one! lol  Think about something else you like to do besides eating when your upset. Maybe a brisk walk or call someone on the phone and vent, or chomp on a celery stick, or listen to music or watch a chick flick?? Just some ideas. I know with good support and helpful dishes and hints you can do this! We are here for you. Just don't beat yourself up when you slip, pick yourself back up and get back on the boat! It's not the end of the world!!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)