Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't feel full days.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you cave on those days when you just can't feel full?

I am having one of those days where I just feel famished. Don't know why. 

I am using MFP to count calories and am currently at 1,565 which is 255 over my goal for calorie intake, but I still feel freaking hungry!

Advice?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I'm guessing that if you're over your calories at that, your calories are set too low. Have we calculated your BMR?
MFP is notorious for telling people to eat too little, because it assumes you will need more calories to compensate for exercise, but if you eat below your BMR, you can put your body into starvation mode, which slows your metabolism (and frankly, leaves you starving!). If you'd like, we can calculate it for you, if you'll post your height, weight, age, and how much you work out. From there, you can plug a number into MFP manually, just don't add exercise calories the way MFP does. We'll give you a calorie range to eat within.
I say eat. Just choose something healthy.
Are you eating healthy fats? If not, that can leave you feeling hungry often.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Teacher101
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Quoting musicpisces:

I'm guessing that if you're over your calories at that, your calories are set too low. Have we calculated your BMR?
MFP is notorious for telling people to eat too little, because it assumes you will need more calories to compensate for exercise, but if you eat below your BMR, you can put your body into starvation mode, which slows your metabolism (and frankly, leaves you starving!). If you'd like, we can calculate it for you, if you'll post your height, weight, age, and how much you work out. From there, you can plug a number into MFP manually, just don't add exercise calories the way MFP does. We'll give you a calorie range to eat within.

I found an BMR calculator so I can do that...

I am a vegetarian and according to MFP I am going over my fat gram allowance most days and my fiber as well. I have been using peanut butter to try and calm my sweet tooth....

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Ok! Be sure to use the Harris Benedict equation to factor in your level of exercise (rarely are people in the 6 day/wk category unless they're endurance athletes), then subtract 500 to get your upper limit. Your BMR is the lower limit.

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting musicpisces:

I am a vegetarian and according to MFP I am going over my fat gram allowance most days and my fiber as well. I have been using peanut butter to try and calm my sweet tooth....

Teacher101
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

How do I change my calories in MFP?

Quoting musicpisces:

Ok! Be sure to use the Harris Benedict equation to factor in your level of exercise (rarely are people in the 6 day/wk category unless they're endurance athletes), then subtract 500 to get your upper limit. Your BMR is the lower limit.

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

From the My Home tab, click on "Goals".  Then on the bottom, click "Change Goals".  Then click "Custom".  Then enter your number under "Net Calories Consumed".  You can change whatever else you like from there as well.

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting Teacher101:

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Go into your goals, change goals and you can change your calories there 

Quoting Teacher101:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Can you tell me my BMR?

5'7"
199lbs
I workout 3-4 times a week.

Thank you!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Sure!

BMR: 1680 (Minimim number of calories you should consume at your current weight)

1680 x 1.55 = 2604 (maintenance calories at your current weight while working out 3-5 days/wk)

2604 - 500 = 2104 (to create a calorie deficit)

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 1680-2104 calories per day.

Quoting Janaz5:

Can you tell me my BMR?

5'7"
199lbs

Thank you!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

eema.gray
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

When I have those days, it's bcause I haven't been eating enough fat.  I mix about half a tablespoon coconut oil with the same amount of almond butter and usually, I'm good to go.  A fried egg also generally does the trick.  -)

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Wowzers, my current mfp calories goal says to lose 2lbs per week I should be eating 1380 calories. I just looked through my diary on mfp and I never went above 1500 calories, I was trying to stay between 1200 and 1400. I've lost 23lbs since September, but I wonder if that's why I've plateaued and haven't really lost that much in the last month. So, I think I'm going to try and eat more calories, by adding one more healthy snack into my diet, and see what happens. I've been getting so frustrated with the lack of weight I've lost in December and sometimes that makes me want to give up.
Thank you for the info.

Quoting musicpisces:

Sure!

BMR: 1680 (Minimim number of calories you should consume at your current weight)

1680 x 1.55 = 2604 (maintenance calories at your current weight while working out 3-5 days/wk)

2604 - 500 = 2104 (to create a calorie deficit)

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 1680-2104 calories per day.

Quoting Janaz5:

Can you tell me my BMR?

5'7"

199lbs

Thank you!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)