Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

One Pound at a Time: My Journey

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM
  • 39 Replies
Hi all!!!

I'm a SAHM to 3 (living) children (almost 12, 4, and 14 months) and I've been with my husband for 13 years. I've struggled with my weight for about the last 8 years or so, I was pregnant three times within five years, lost twins at 22 weeks gestation, and then battled with a bout of depression.

Then the motivation I needed to lose weight practically smacked me in the face and I would've been an idiot not to participate. For the last fifteen weeks I've been participating in a weight loss competition in another group here on CM, which ended on Dec 31st. So far, I've lost 23lbs and have 59 to go.

09/17/12: 222lbs, BMI 34.7
12/31/12: 199lbs, BMI 31.1
Goal: 140lbs

I've also lost 4.5" around my waist and 4" around my mid-section and gone down two pant sizes.

From the beginning of my journey I decided I wasn't going to do a diet, but rather have a lifestyle change. I'm the type of person who has to set realistic goals because if I fail, then I will give up and eat the whole box of cookies.

My eating habits have drastically changed over the last four months, I completely cut out soda and limit my drink choices to water and every once in a while I'll have 4-8oz of 15 calorie lite lemonade. I try to eat in moderation and still have the occasional treat.

We got a family membership to a gym and I go 3-4x a week to workout. I usually do 45-60 minutes of cardio and I just recently started to do weight lifting.

For the first time, I'm excited to get healthy and actually stay heathly. It's going to be a tough journey and I know I have a long road ahead of me, but that is why I joined this group and decided to do this journal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM
2 moms liked this
01/02/13:
So today was a good day, I think.
Breakfast: wheat toast and Greek yogurt
Lunch: salad with diced chicken and cashews and low fat ranch
Dinner: lemon pasta (I love pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes. I know that saying I'm never gonna eat those again isn't realistic for me, so instead I limit pasta and rice to 1-2x a week)
Snacks: banana, 1/2 kind plus bar
Water: 6 cups (my daily goal is 10 so I need to work on this)
Exercise: 60 minutes at the gym
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Another good day, even though I'm not hitting my calorie goal of 1680. I guess I need to add one more snack, fruit maybe.
Breakfast: two turkey sausage, one slice of wheat toast, an Greek yogurt
Lunch: turkey sandwich on wheat bread, cup of diced pears
Dinner: the most amazing garlic parsley oregano chicken topped with diced tomatoes and a little bit of mozzarella cheese, salad, and corn
Snacks: kind plus bar, cashew and cherry craisins. I also had one dove chocolate piece.
Water: I did better than yesterday and had 8 cups today
Exercise: 60 mins at gym
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM
I'm going out to eat lunch tomorrow with my mom and grandma so I hope I can find a healthy option on the menu.
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I think I'm going to start a C25K on Monday!!! I'm nervous, yet excited at the same time.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Ooh, yes, do it!!! :-) It was too fast for me when I got started, so I sort of modified it for my fitness level, but I'm 100 lbs down and running a ton now! I'm so glad I started! C25K is a fantastic program, and many people here have done it or are doing it. Check out the Running Moms group on here, too! You can do this!
Keep eating well, too! Be sure to get in those calories, you must fuel those runs!

Quoting Janaz5:

I think I'm going to start a C25K on Monday!!! I'm nervous, yet excited at the same time.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

You're doing good mama...keep it up!

Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM
So I didn't start the C25K today because I got sick over the weekend and didn't feel like I could give it my best today. However, I was still able to make it to the gym and do cardio. I'll start next Monday.
lobomom24
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Good job! Keep it up!
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Finished w1d1 of the c25k. Woo-hoo, I'm proud of myself!!! It wasn't too bad, but I did start to get tired at interval six of jogging. I finished though, with no problems.
Janaz5
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM
So a few updates today:

-I did a spin class at the gym tonight. It was difficult, but I enjoyed it and didn't give up. However, sitting on that bike seat wasn't fun and I'm paying for it right now.

-My husband asked me to pick up Taco Bell on the way home for dinner and I didn't get anything. Yay me!!! I'm not really a fan of TB anyway, but I do like their Fiesta Taco Salads with no meat. Instead, I came home and made a veggie burger and salad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)