Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (101-110):
mamawillis
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Diet Mountain Dew is pretty good. Do not, and I mean do not under any circumstances, try Mello Yello Zero. Nasty!

toni823
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Diet soda has chemicals that increase your appetite. If you want to drink something with flavor drink water and add lemon or something with no calories and no nutra sweet in it.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

for my caffine fill i drink hot black tea (no milk or sugar).... delish and its good for you!!

supercarp
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The worst thing about diet cola is the phosphoric acid in it that leaches the calcium out of your bones.

garnet83
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

It hasn't hindered my weight loss. I drink them and keep water right beside it. I HATE HATE HATE water and I choke it down strictly for weight management purposes. But I've discovered that if I have both, I can chug water and also sip my diet soda and I can stand it. That way I'm getting plenty of water as well as my diet soda.

SaphiraJFire
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

This is a very good read to I hope help you understand the facts of soda vs diet soda when trying to lose weight.

I wanted to add also that on page 3 it says if you do change your diet to be very healthy and drink diet soda as well for a low cal intake for diet then it will help you lose weight. the biggest issue is most people drink diet soda and still eat a lot of high sugar foods. and the fluctuation between the 2 types of sugar can cause weight gain because the body gets basically confused. I recommend reading the full article it is very interesting and full of information.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast

tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I would switch to tea, I DID switch to tea. I love green tea and chai!! Diet soda is one of the most horrible things you can put in your body, if youre going to drink soda, make it the "real" stuff, and even better if you can find a natural or organic soda made with natural cane syrup or sugar instead of corn syrup. Good luck!!

SaphiraJFire
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I prefer water and tea peppermint tea warm is my fav.

tamullen607
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I gave up sodas of all kinds almost a year ago. Now I don't drink coffee, either, but I am a tea drinker. I drink hot tea in the winter or when I need something hot, and sweet iced tea when I'm out and sometimes at home. I lost around 10 pounds doing that alone. Other than that, I drink water. I buy the Great Value brand of the Mio. It really helps me drink the water. I get the Southern Sweet Tea flavor. I don't really feel like I'm drink water.

WritingMom777
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I've known people to lose weight by simply giving up regular soda pop.  I used to drink Diet Coke but people have had some crazy adverse reactions to aspartame which is a chemical that some think is dangerous. On the other hand, most non diet sodas have high fructose corn syrup which has been linked by some studies to obesity. (some kids are hyperactive as well)

Have you tried drinking tea?  Either hot or cold?  Green tea is supposed to help promote weight loss and even black tea is supposed to be healthy.  We switched to stevia which is a plant based sweetner deemed to be a lot safer than aspartame.  Personally I feel better with less sugar - less sluggish, etc. There are also some sodas that are sweetened with splenda which is a little better too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)