Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (51-60):
Ali5683
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Soda all together is bad for you. It has chemicals that create belly fat and cellulite, among other things. Either you drink soda or you don't. Diet sodas have aspartame which is not good for you. Give up soda all together and you'll feel a difference. I haven't had soda in 3 years. I had a few sips of one a couple weeks ago and felt nothing but bloated, gassy and tired. It was awful! We shouldn't be putting things into our bodies that make us feel that way because it's not natural!

mmtosam06
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

This right here

Quoting mjgm1966:

I've read where it can hinder the weight loss progress.  But, recommended if you have to have the diet drinks, stick with the clear ones.   And good for you for kicking the other habits!  Wonderful!

Stephanie nice to meet you.
FrumpyMama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My only suggestion is that if your going to have it, go for the ones without the HFCS in them. They taste better and are better for you as far as sodapop goes.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

To me, this is a personal choice.  I think you can still lose the weight while drinking soda, although diet soda really isn't good for you.  If you can, try to stick with clear sodas or even go one step ahead and try seltzer and just add your own fruit juice to it.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I see what you are saying but I did give it up for several months last year and it didn't make me feel anything but BLAH! I love your enthusiasm, though!

Quoting Ali5683:

Soda all together is bad for you. It has chemicals that create belly fat and cellulite, among other things. Either you drink soda or you don't. Diet sodas have aspartame which is not good for you. Give up soda all together and you'll feel a difference. I haven't had soda in 3 years. I had a few sips of one a couple weeks ago and felt nothing but bloated, gassy and tired. It was awful! We shouldn't be putting things into our bodies that make us feel that way because it's not natural!

tegsmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

You would be amazed how much weight you could loose if you quit drinking soda all together! Diet would be better but best if you just stopped drinking soda. If you need caffeine there are caffeine pills or diet supplements that would help you with that and boost your metabolism. A Lot of people are not for diet pills but if used correctly and not to solve a problem they are very helpful.

Aurora-Dove
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I drink diet soda and can't really tell a difference between when I drink them and when I don't. However we got a Soda Stream a few days ago, and the soda's made there, not the diet ones but regular sodas only have 35 calories per serving. Way better than a regular soda, without the diet taste. I don't feel guilty for one or two sodas a day drinking them made from the soda stream. The key is to make sure you're still drinking plenty of water as well.

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

This post is featured on the home page :)

mommadana
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I'm a soda lover too and it's the hardest for me to quit.  Coffee is next in line.  I personally like the soda with the real sugar in it (I think The coca-cola imported from mexico has it) but I don't do the diet soda route.  I'd rather take my chances with regular than put fake sugar in me.  Like they said above, watch your calorie intake.

Dana    
ACsLady
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If I splurge on something, it's always the real deal. Soda isn't good for you in general, but diet soda is far worse because of the artificial sweeteners. If you can find the type of soda you like made with real sugar instead of corn syrup, I'd go for that. Yeah, sugar's bad for you, but it's closer to the natural state of sugar cane, you know?

So, that's my line of thinking. NO diet, EVER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN